Ecotech Marine Mobius and Versa Pump vs. Neptune Apex and DOS

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore , you might want to shoot ecotech support a message. Looks like that noise is no-go.

ross0201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That seems really quiet. The first time I heard a Dos I was picking something up at BRS. An alarm started going off that everyone ignored. When I asked what it was they told me it was the Dos at top speed!

I have one now and I don't mind it as long as I'm doing 3 gallons a day or less. But if I got a real big tank I didn't know what I'd do.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sound is not normal. sounds like a vibrating roller. I have 2 ideas that would make it quieter. I've never ran the pump dry (without fluid being pushed through the tube). perhaps a roller is vibrating on it's axis and needs fluid in the tube in order to provide some resistance on the tube.

AS for taking the rotor off, you can't, the lower bearing is pressed in and will not come off without damaging it.

Try pumping fluid through it and see if it quiets down....

Does seem that something may be amiss then. I did try with and without liquid, made no difference. I wonder if orientation matters. I will try mounting it vertically and see.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does seem that something may be amiss then. I did try with and without liquid, made no difference. I wonder if orientation matters. I will try mounting it vertically and see.
It's horizontal in Sisterlimonpot's newest video though.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore, Orientation shouldn't matter, I would slide the clear plastic cover back and put each roller at the 6 o'clock position and wiggle it to check for play. Wonder if one of the rollers didnt get greased.... long shot but worth checking.

Btw, if you have some disposable rubber gloves, I'd put those on... the silicone grease gets messy...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ll try that. Noise doesn't seem to be coming from the rollers, more from the gear assembly.

Last edited:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us posted. The info leading up to the release was quite exciting. A good friend of mine (and huge ETM fanboy) strongly urged me to wait at least a year before buying one, reminding me of all the problems that the original vectra releases had. It’s been hard to show self restraint, but I’ve got a good year or so worth masterflex tubing left to use up
This is sound advice for any new product. No matter how much testing and verifying gets done virtually every company will have something slip through the cracks or encounter unexpected issues with production QC.

In recent history I can think of-
Vectra pumps’ heat issues, the bad batch of memory cards affecting the 2016 Apexes, and, of course, the Vertex Cerebra.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the versa ever be able to talk to the the trident? I would buy one today if they could play along.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang that’s pretty awesome support. take note, Neptune sys
Will the versa ever be able to talk to the the trident? I would buy one today if they could play along.
The few times I’ve needed it I’ve had very good support from Neptune.

As far as talking to the Trident goes I suspect that will happen sometime between an eternity and never. Ecotech has made it very clear that they are not making their products compatible with the Neptune Apex or any other controllers. (They didn’t even include an industry-standard 0-10V port on the Vectra pumps.) They’re trying to lock you in to their ecosystem, which is too bad, as Ecotech does have some nice products, but it’s exceedingly rare that any one company has all the products that best meet anyone’s needs.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as talking to the Trident goes I suspect that will happen sometime between an eternity and never. Ecotech has made it very clear that they are not making their products compatible with the Neptune Apex or any other controllers. (They didn’t even include an industry-standard 0-10V port on the Vectra pumps.) They’re trying to lock you in to their ecosystem, which is too bad, as Ecotech does have some nice products, but it’s exceedingly rare that any one company has all the products that best meet anyone’s needs.

Well I guess that just means ecotech needs to come out with their own testing device

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess that just means ecotech needs to come out with their own testing device
And outlet strip, and probes...

I’m not sure what their end goal or target audience is. Maybe people who want to control half of their tank but not everything?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything on a single 'platform' is a pipedream anyhow. No single vendor is going to be able to offer everything you need/want for your tank. There have been occasions where I have bought something because it was, for example, apex compatible; but mostly I buy that which best meets my needs and figure out the compatibility afterwards. That's why I have a GHL doser, Kessil lights, and loads of ETM and Neptune stuff. Once control platform would be nice, but dealing with apex, reeflink and the Kessil controller really isn't that big of a deal particularly since the latter two are mostly set-and-forget.

donniesusan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s 70 ml/min so you can decide for yourself LOL. There’s the typical whirring sounds but also some gear ‘grinding’ noises. Perhaps those will decline as the unit breaks in.

I set mine up yesterday and it doesn’t make that noise. Not even at higher speeds. I think you need to call them. Sorry just read through the rest of the post. Glad they’re getting it taken care of for you.

Last edited:

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s so sad. I guess I’m forced to buy a Dos. Not doing auto water changes so hopefully the noise isn’t too deafening. Maybe apex will make a ca rx pump at some point.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back