Ecotech Mobius, I Am Trying To Wrap My Head Around The Benefits!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some reading on the Mobius and I must be missing something because it just does not seem to make much sense.

From what I have read and seen it seems to be just an app that hooks up to the Ecotech devices that are running Bluetooth.
So older devices need to be pulled apart and have their RF modules changed from WiFi to Bluetooth. The benefit being a better connection and I would assume no need to buy Reeflink???

Ok so my confusion is:

1: Why would Ecotech want to kill their own reeflink product or am I missing something and it will still have a purpose?

2: Why Bluetooth? It's much lower bandwidth and in my personal experience the connection reliability is not any better than WiFi. Also Bluetooth standards keep changing and I have had nothing but problems when connecting it to my car after Apple does an update or makes a new iPhone.

3: What happens now as far as remote access?
My understanding of Reeflink was that you had control from anywhere in the world. With Mobius it seems like anything past 30ft and your SOL. Maybe I am missing something?

4: Why go the App route? Apple is famous for making developers have to update their apps continuously. They also can ban apps in a heartbeat if they don't like the way it does something. I have lots of hardware devices that once had an App for them and now those apps are gone because they no longer have current versions and some will not even work with newer iphones. I have to actually keep an old iPhone 5 at home that is never updated just so those devices have the older working apps.

5: Is Mobius going to do something more than control just Ecotechs current devices? I had heard Ecotech had a real controller in the works but I am not sure if that is Mobius or something else.

BTW I am in no way knocking Mobius. I know Ecotech is a very smart company and makes great products. I am just trying to understand what are the benefits to Mobius for Ecotech and the public. I know it will have a better interface but I would think they could have just upgraded the interface for reeflink to the same thing.

Last edited:

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius will be able to connect via a cloud server at some point in the future so you will be able to control it while you are away from home. I guess with the first point, Bluetooth can be more reliable. You really shouldn’t need to program your tank when you’re away from home. Also, if you have a power outage and have battery backups, you can still control with Mobius while you wouldn’t be able to with reeflink.
Mobius also offers a more seemless way to manage all your ecotech gear and provides you with the ability to create different scenes controlling both your pumps and lights at the same time with relative ease.
From what I have heard, I think the plan is to allow other devices to connect to Mobius through Bluetooth as well. It all depends on whether the manufacture is willing to give ecotech permission.
mobius also offers more preloaded schemes and the ability to download other profiles.
I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius will be able to connect via a cloud server at some point in the future so you will be able to control it while you are away from home. I guess with the first point, Bluetooth can be more reliable. You really shouldn’t need to program your tank when you’re away from home. Also, if you have a power outage and have battery backups, you can still control with Mobius while you wouldn’t be able to with reeflink.
Mobius also offers a more seemless way to manage all your ecotech gear and provides you with the ability to create different scenes controlling both your pumps and lights at the same time with relative ease.
From what I have heard, I think the plan is to allow other devices to connect to Mobius through Bluetooth as well. It all depends on whether the manufacture is willing to give ecotech permission.
mobius also offers more preloaded schemes and the ability to download other profiles.
I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

How would it connect to the cloud services? I would assume it would need another control box like Reeflink or is Reeflink itself upgradable to fit in a Bluetooth module?

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im kind of in the same boat when it comes to what benefits this brings - Im a fan of Ecotech and have radions, vortechs and reeflink. But everything i have read and the demos i have seen of it working just make me think Mobius is simply a new platform to do the same thing as Ecosmartlive currently does with less capability, ie, no control away from the device. Im confused with the where the benefits are but assume im missing something as BETA testers seem to love it.

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im kind of in the same boat when it comes to what benefits this brings - Im a fan of Ecotech and have radions, vortechs and reeflink. But everything i have read and the demos i have seen of it working just make me think Mobius is simply a new platform to do the same thing as Ecosmartlive currently does with less capability, ie, no control away from the device. Im confused with the where the benefits are but assume im missing something as BETA testers seem to love it.

Agreed I’m on the fence with replacing my liter meter with these but I don’t have enough info to make that decision.

An explanation of future capabilities would be fantastic.

I like the pumps and tech upgrading really depends on future capabilities.

Now if they plan to sync their power heads to the Mobis and come out with some sort automated systems such as kh and ca testing I would be interested in grabbing a 4 pump now.

More info please

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Ecotech is ever going to reveal their hand to the competition but you can be certain that Mobious will almost certainly control all their current and future devices.

As for Kh and Ca testing, I really wish that would happen, but I don't think we will know until it's just about ready to hit the market. I suspect that could be years from now. By then I think it's going to be a hard sell for them to get people to plunk down $1K on another water tester when the market will be flooded with them and most guys already have one and are comfortable with it.

Last edited:

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with "you shouldnt need to reprogram your tank when away from home". I have done so multiple times in a pinch and it was hugely helpful. Controlling the tank when away from home is a good part of why I own an Apex.

To be honest most of these companies dont outsource their apps (like they should) and they end up being pretty "meh". I hope that Mobius is a step forward for ecotech.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1583871802944.png

jacojac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to remote access the Radion G5's have wifi, So I'm guessing they will be the Mobius equivalent of ReefLink.

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad so many have determined that I dont need to program or see my tank while at a remote location but I do believe that ultimately ETMs plan is to support cloud control just wish we would stop with the “its not needed” distraction

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad so many have determined that I dont need to program or see my tank while at a remote location but I do believe that ultimately ETMs plan is to support cloud control just wish we would stop with the “its not needed” distraction
Out of interest, why would or would you want to tinker with when you are not there?

it’s personal preference for all, I just don’t see what it achieves.

Before I leave my house for any period of time i do my checks on my tank. I have zero reason to play with flow or lights whilst I’m not there. It’s essentially the two main life supports of the tank, so to tinker seems odd.

barring the times i add new inhabitants, the flow and lights are set and rarely touched. I thought that was the same for most but guess not.

not up for a debate, just generally interested as to what you tinker with when not at home and why, I’m glad they have plans to add it in, I’m all for features but will avoid using it unless I have to.

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of interest, why would or would you want to tinker with when you are not there?

I travel allot and make changes when I see issues, for example I use a Versa for my CaRx pump and if my Alk starts dropping I could increase the pump speed.
What if my Apex detects water on the floor next to my Vectra return pump, right now if I get that alert and I am not home I could not turn off the return.

I agree about not needing to adjust lighting schedule but its not just lights. Not to say that there is not a reason someone would not need to do that but just that I have not run into that need yet.

Another reason is if you noticed in a webcam or the kid or spouse said one of the lights or pumps was not on you could also see the status and maybe see why.

Last edited:

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ETM is their own company and expected them to move away from Neptune eventually and I am perfectly happy with that, I dont want all my equipment dependent on one device to operate like the Apex. Its far safer to split it up and not rely solely on one chip. If I understand what Mobius is trying to do it sounds more like a mesh system vs a centralized system which is FAR safer and superior lets be patient and let them build it out.
Provide good feedback with reason if you want them to include your request, they listen it just takes time and cant enable every fringe feature request.

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a facebook message from my house sitter that the "pump on the right" aka MP40 was making a screeching noise. Turned it off via Apex floating on an inner tube in Bora Bora half way across the world on my honeymoon. But sure, you never need to program it away from home.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a facebook message from my house sitter that the "pump on the right" aka MP40 was making a screeching noise. Turned it off via Apex floating on an inner tube in Bora Bora half way across the world on my honeymoon. But sure, you never need to program it away from home.
etm has said that they are going to offer this feature as well.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its not the point of what you wrote but even in ESL you couldn't fully switch your pumps off from what i remember. So even if Mobius offered exactly what ESL did you wouldnt have been able to do that which i think is the point most have been making (removed remote connection in Mobius like ESL had).....Apex control was your guardian then which i highly doubt will come back.

Although you can now switch pumps off in Mobius, most recent update allowed for it.

I can definitely see why remote connection will be extremely useful especially in your situation and will welcome it, just think its only something id use in an emergency case, not just in general.

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its not the point of what you wrote but even in ESL you couldn't fully switch your pumps off from what i remember. So even if Mobius offered exactly what ESL did you wouldnt have been able to do that which i think is the point most have been making (removed remote connection in Mobius like ESL had).....Apex control was your guardian then which i highly doubt will come back.

Although you can now switch pumps off in Mobius, most recent update allowed for it.

I can definitely see why remote connection will be extremely useful especially in your situation and will welcome it, just think its only something id use in an emergency case, not just in general.

I agree that it's a very fringe scenario but totally useful. For myself, I just wish they weren't taking away features during the migration to whatever their end goal is. Taking away remote control in Mobius and releasing new firmware upgrades on the MP40 that aren't backwards compatible with WXM puts people in an unwanted scenario if they aren't as knowledgeable as the product managers at Ecotech that know every nuance before hand.

myakuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree! I often do tests via my trident when away from my tank. in the past i could increase dosing with my dos based on test results, but with the versa i have to be near the tank to increase or decrease my triton dosing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back