Ecotech MP40 saga. Looking for help with the WXM or Mobius Connection.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 10 years into this hobby. Have used the Ecotech MP40s the whole time. Right now running 7 of them on my 380g system. I used to run all of them through the Neptune WXM module and loved it. Every now an then I would have to upgrade one of the components. But that wasn't a big deal as each part could be purchased individually. about 3 years ago I could no longer source any of the parts for the old white MP40s so I purchased a new MP40 Quite Drive pump. There was no problem with connecting this to the WXM and everything was running great.
Fast forward to about a week ago. For a few reasons I purchased a new MP40qd, as well as a few individual components to complete another 2 MP40qds. I got them all mounted then the fun began.
First off the new MP40qds do not work with the Neptune module (I didn't know this prior to purchasing it). No worries, I'll just download the old version of the MP40 firmware. Nope still won't connect. I updated the WXM Module firmware. Nope. In fact, now none of my pumps will connect to the WXM Module. So now I'm left with all the pumps running individually, which defeats the whole purpose of having such fancy pumps.

So now I'm left with the following.
3 old white MP40s. According to ecotech, I can't upgrade these to run with Mobius.
2 new MP40 QDs. These only work with Mobius. I can't get them to connect to the WXM Module even when I downgrade their firmware.
2 frankenstein MP40QDs (I say Frankenstein as I've bought each component of them separately). These also won't connect to anything. In fact I don't think they have any wireless connection abilities as there is no light in the W on the top right.

I think over the years I've probably purchased a total of 14 pumps. I'm in this deep.

I want to be able to run ALL my pumps off of either the WXM Module, or the Mobius app. I don't care. I just want to do more than "reef crest".

Any and all help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
I've also reached out to ecotech directly.

Thanks.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to perform a firmware rollback on the new mobius devices (which usually takes about 20 minutes) in order for the vortechs to be compatible with WXM. Below is a link to the process to do that:

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Copy paste what you wrote above and I bet Ecotech will step up and help you. I love the WXM module and also run my mp40s and radions off it. Well I just upgraded to Gen5pros hopefully all will be good. I do have a Vectra S2 pump on mobius and it's been decent.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to perform a firmware rollback on the new mobius devices (which usually takes about 20 minutes) in order for the vortechs to be compatible with WXM. Below is a link to the process to do that:

Thanks for the input. I did perform the firmware downgrade through mobius. Seemed to work fine.
Unfortunately I still can't connect to the WXM Module. I performed an update on the WXM Module but that didn't help either.

I sent a ticket to Neptune as none of my pumps (old ES pumps, Pre-2000 QD, and new QDs) connect anymore.

I've also started a conversation with Ecotech.

Will post responses.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy paste what you wrote above and I bet Ecotech will step up and help you. I love the WXM module and also run my mp40s and radions off it. Well I just upgraded to Gen5pros hopefully all will be good. I do have a Vectra S2 pump on mobius and it's been decent.
Will do. I agree, I loved running my mp40s via the WXM Module. Had very specific flows for different times of the day and for different corals. It kills me that I've lost this connectivity.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First fix proposed by Neptune:
  1. Reset the pumps to factory settings (Mode+set, mode, set)
  2. Unplug WXM
  3. Reset the pumps again
  4. Delete WXM (Configuration> module setup)
  5. Plug WXM back in
  6. Attach pumps (mode+set, tap set 6 times)
Have never seen that tap 6 times thing anywhere. Will give it a go!

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I performed the steps as above.

2 of my old MP40 ES pumps connected. 1 didn't.
My pre-2019 MP40QD connected.
My new 2021 MP40QD didn't connect (despite doing the firmware downgrade)'
My 2 QD replacement drivers didn't connect. I'm waiting on the RF modules for them.
I'm going to try a couple of my other old ES pumps that I kept for emergencies with the above process to see if I can get a couple more on-line.

So right now I have 3 pumps running off my apex wxm.
And 4 just running old school reef crest mode.

We'll see if either Neptune or Ecotech respond further tomorrow.
Will update.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few back and forths with Neptune I have given up. I can only hold mode/set and tap set so many times before I go crazy.
I bought new RF chips for a couple of my drivers then set up the Mobius and am for the most part happy with it on first run. I still have 3 more pumps to upgrade, but I can just buy the drivers and RF chips for 3 pumps and have it cost less than a full MP40QD unit. I guess I have no choice but to go this way. I must say I'm a bit disappointed. Had a good run with the WXM unit.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune reached out to me and offered to speak on the phone to try to work through all these problems (instead of the back and forth of customer support emails). I'm going to upgrade the last 3 of my drivers to the new QD models and add the RF chip. Then I'll get on the phone with Neptune and see if we can connect all 8 of them to the WXM Module. Will report back here how it all goes.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me a while to find new QD drivers for my last 2 pumps. Have them all upgraded now with the new RF chips.
All 8 connected easily to Mobius. I can't say I love the Mobius interface but at lease they all work. Have been running it for 5 days now without complication. It's been a while since I've just had everything connected and working in unison so I'm not going to mess with it for a little bit.

rblackmon89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this.

These steps were almost impossible to find. My 40wes attached to the WXM immediately after this

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back