EcoTech Radion users... Thoughts on Rail Kits and Hanging Kits??

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I wait for the EcoTech crew to grant access to the Sponsor forum.......

I would like to ask you Radion users (of all generations) how you feel about the Rail Kits and Hanging Kits that are manufactured for the Radions.?? (If you use the RMS mounts, we will be opening a new thread about them at a later time, so PLEASE chime in on that one!)

-How easy/difficult was it to select the proper kits? Any improvements on the selection process?

-Ease of installation?

-Quality of equipment?

-Feelings on aesthetics? (Please include photos!)

-Anything you'd like to see improved?

AND, for those of you who have elected to not use the EcoTech brand Hanging Kits and Rail Kits.....

-What are you using instead? (Please include photos!)

-What drew you to choosing your current mounting setup, in lieu of the EcoTech Rail Kits and Hanging Kits?

-What improvements, if any, would draw you towards possibly using the Rail Kits and Hanging Kits in the future?

Please be open and candid! We'd really love to hear your thoughts...(and see some pictures!)

Thanks,

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I am about to unbox 3 radion pro 30w with 3x RMS mounts and mount them to my new tank.

I will document my experience with these products!

Ian

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Thanks Ian!

I'll be opening a new thread for the RMS kits in a week or two, please share your experience and thoughts with us when it comes!

Randy

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll kick it off!

Here has been my experience with the Rail Kits and Hanging Kits.

-How easy/difficult was it to select the proper kits? Any improvements on the selection process?

I found the selection process to be a bit difficult. I had measured and calculated, and measured and calculated, and checked the EcoTech recommendations a thousand times before I chose my setup (below). Of course, I didn't have my lights just yet, because I wanted to time the Rail Kits and Hanging Kits directly with my Radion delivery. This made it a bit more difficult to select.

-Ease of installation?

Installation wasn't too difficult. Luckily, I had a 72" T5 fixture across my tank that allowed me to build and rest my assembled light/kit set above my tank. With this, I was able to easily determine where to drill my Hanging Kit anchors in the ceiling with minimal effort with measuring.

-Quality of equipment?

Overall, I think the quality is great, especially with the Hanging Kits! The screws for the Rail Kits seemed a bit too short in some areas. I think these could be improved upon.

The minimalist and clean aesthetics of the Rail Kits and Hanging Kits feeds right into my affinity for the EcoTech product line and anal retentive nature. ;) (Photo below)

I'll leave this for you other users to fill in, as we have discussed, and continue to discuss, within the Product Test Team. But, I'd love to hear your thoughts!!

Thanks all!

Randy

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RMS mounts were easy to use and are great quality. Only issue for me is mounting with ghost overflow on a reef savvy. Lights are too far out to the edge of the tank but only by a couple of inches.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to used the 80/20 system aluminum on the DT with 5 radions pro 2,
On my frag tanks I have still the radions pro 2 but with the standard hanging kit hanging from some shelves.

Attachments

• diesel tank1.jpg
    diesel tank1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,829
OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RMS mounts were easy to use and are great quality. Only issue for me is mounting with ghost overflow on a reef savvy. Lights are too far out to the edge of the tank but only by a couple of inches.

Thanks for the input currentking !

I'd love to see your pictures and hear your thoughts on how they might be improved on the upcoming RMS thread! I'll tag you in it when I get it posted.

I use to used the 80/20 system aluminum on the DT with 5 radions pro 2,
On my frag tanks I have still the radions pro 2 but with the standard hanging kit hanging from some shelves.

Thanks Diesel and great looking setup!

Was there any specific reason you chose the 80/20 over the EcoTech Rail Kits? Cost, aesthetics, purpose?

Thanks!

Randy

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any specific reason you chose the 80/20 over the EcoTech Rail Kits? Cost, aesthetics, purpose?

A overall cleaner look, a stronger design and sturdy, better fit to the total setup and the possibility to expand from 3 radions to 4 and 5 with no design change.
Btw, Patrick does know this tank very well, LOL.
Just mention it to him.
When you guys come out with a Pro Elite 4, I might consider to use the radions again.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Diesel ! I have to agree with you about expand-ability and that they leave something to be desired in rigidity.

I'll be sure to share with the team.

Randy

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anymore EcoTech Rail Kit and Hanging Kit users out there?

Please chime in with your thoughts. [emoji4]

Radion users (of all generations) how you feel about the Rail Kits and Hanging Kits that are manufactured for the Radions.?? (If you use the RMS mounts, we will be opening a new thread about them at a later time, so PLEASE chime in on that one!)

-Ease of installation?

-Quality of equipment?

AND, for those of you who have elected to not use the EcoTech brand Hanging Kits and Rail Kits.....

-What are you using instead? (Please include photos!)

-What drew you to choosing your current mounting setup, in lieu of the EcoTech Rail Kits and Hanging Kits?

-What improvements, if any, would draw you towards possibly using the Rail Kits and Hanging Kits in the future?

Please be open and candid! We'd really love to hear your thoughts...(and see some pictures!)

Thank you!

Randy

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-What are you using instead? Mounts made by a guy I found online.

I did not want to hang anything from my ceiling so the hanging kits were out. I also did not like the plastic feel of the RMS mount nor how much of my attention it drew. I personally prefer sleek clean cut lines. I wanted something that did not mount to tank as well. Wire management is a big plus for. I understand I'm picky though and its a matter of different tastes.

-What improvements, if any, would draw you towards possibly using the Rail Kits and Hanging Kits in the future? I personally don't ever plan on hanging a fixture so for me not much would change my mind. Not an issue with the product just my taste and opinion.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-What are you using instead? Mounts made by a guy I found online.

I did not want to hang anything from my ceiling so the hanging kits were out. I also did not like the plastic feel of the RMS mount nor how much of my attention it drew. I personally prefer sleek clean cut lines. I wanted something that did not mount to tank as well. Wire management is a big plus for. I understand I'm picky though and its a matter of different tastes.

-What improvements, if any, would draw you towards possibly using the Rail Kits and Hanging Kits in the future? I personally don't ever plan on hanging a fixture so for me not much would change my mind. Not an issue with the product just my taste and opinion.

Nice mounts WilRams ! Thanks for sharing!!

Do you have a link to share, or were they custom?

Last edited:

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now My Light bracket for a pair of Radion Gen1's has cost me about £15.... so maybe $25 works a treat... Looks ..... well I have a white tank so it doesn't look that bad and at a fraction of the cost works for me... But I do very much like the New RSM units... Some serious thought is being given right now... :) Will go take a picture and post it later. :)

fbodykiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchase 2x RMS mounts for my XR15pro's. I had an issue with one of the links which ecotech quickly sent out replacements. Overall the mounts are sturdy and look pretty good however could be improved IMO. I attempted to use a bolt thru to the backside with a wingnut but am not a fan of the look. I attached a pic of this. I think there should be a stud mounted to the slide piece in which the bolt comes thru and a wing nut on the backside. So what if the bolt sticks out of the backside. If it were done like this, you would see nothing but the flat plastic mount inside the tank instead of a boly that sticks 1" into the tank with a little black cover that seems like an afterthought. I am debating on using some allthread and epoxying over the existing hole to take away from that eyesore. Its not a huge issue just think an oversight on something that could look a lot cleaner.
969643ee2e6a1277abe532cecaf25d8e_zps16132b88.jpg

Oceanavekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so far I really love them and are exactly what I was looking for. I will also be purchasing a Kessil mount from him for my frag tank. The only other option for me was the LeRusso Design mounts but this was cleaner and a little less expensive.

Reef light mount mounts radion xr30 xr15 kessil a360 a360w GHL Mitras aqua illuminations hydra 26 hydra26 52

I know this is a few years old but do you have the updated link for the mount you bought? I have the RMS arm from Ecotech and don't really like it. Feels pretty flimsy to me. Mine also sags a bit. I've thought about getting the hanging kit but saw the mounts you have and they look clean, really nice

Back