EcoTech Vectra and Vortech firmware change to Mobius on June 1st

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Also would like to add that we haven’t received an official notice from Ecotech on this yet regarding timing or comparability but just a release from Marinedepot. While likely accurate, the timing may not be finalized especially if we haven’t seen an official release from Ecotech yet (if I missed an official release, let me know).

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
From June 1st = All Vortech and Vectra pumps with manufactured day June and UP, are going to be Mobius ready for control the pumps. The box will be identified with a Mobius label, so the users know they only need to download the app to control the pumps.

Nothing else change from June 1st for existing Vortech and Vectras users. As the article is clear that for those users with existing compatible equipment, the firmware upgrade for Mobius will come at a later day. When?, we dont know at this point. Maybe a few weeks or months. No body knows.

This new is just that. Other details about how to upgrade, WXM compatibility or if we need RL for upgrade/downgrade at this point we dont know and anything else is just speculation.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
I probs won't upgrade mine, mobius doesn't interest me.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Don’t a lot of the older products also have the chip (e.g. any of the “w” labeled pumps)? Your example with your smart plugs isn’t an apples to apples comparison. That was the way that the smart plugs were programmed. While the chips might be there to enable it, it needs to communicate with some sort of device to enable it and have the software to play this.

the chip is the same chip that EcoTech manufactures effective today. The difference is they come with the latest firmware aka software that allows devices to be detected by Mobius. EcoTech just needs Mobius to detect the rest of the device as the rest of the devices are already have wireless capability and can be detected by reeflink.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
the chip is the same chip that EcoTech manufactures effective today. The difference is they come with the latest firmware aka software that allows devices to be detected by Mobius. EcoTech just needs Mobius to detect the rest of the device as the rest of the devices are already have wireless capability and can be detected by reeflink.
Yep but if the reeflink is connected via something other than Bluetooth which I believe it is, then it likely isn’t possible to update that yourself.

stonecoldant316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yep but if the reeflink is connected via something other than Bluetooth which I believe it is, then it likely isn’t possible to update that yourself.
I believe the "black" RF chips that are in circulation for the past year or so have Bluetooth LE capability. I have one of those chips in my MP10 and when I cycle the power on it and do a bluetooth scan a device that's labeled ETMBLE shows up. Also if you look at Ecotech's youtube channel under their Mobius videos there's a couple videos that shows that they've paired up to vortechs. I'm fairly certain its going to be a server side or app side switch in the app that turns on this capability. Who knows when though.

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I believe the "black" RF chips that are in circulation for the past year or so have Bluetooth LE capability. I have one of those chips in my MP10 and when I cycle the power on it and do a bluetooth scan a device that's labeled ETMBLE shows up. Also if you look at Ecotech's youtube channel under their Mobius videos there's a couple videos that shows that they've paired up to vortechs. I'm fairly certain its going to be a server side or app side switch in the app that turns on this capability. Who knows when though.

I can confirm this. In doing a BLE scan my MP pumps broadcast a bluetooth name of ETMBLE. My Radion G5 broadcasts a name MOBIUS. All that will be needed is a mobius app update to recognize the ETMBLE to connect. No reeflink would be needed to first upgrade a MP firmware to allow its bluetooth to connect/talk.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Same new chip with same capability to connect to Mobius. Mobius connect to devices differently than reeflink. All it is needed is to have Mobius to be updated to recognize other devices that have the same chip.

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
I just purchased two new black chips from ecotech, we will see, I asked if they could send me the ones with the new firmware....let’s see...hope...pray? Lol

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Good news

Great post
I just got this email from ecotech

Lucas,

Thank you for contacting EcoTech Marine. The RF Modules on our parts store are the Mobius RF Modules. In the near future (we do not have an exact timeframe) we will be opening VorTechs to be added to Mobius. So the Module will not allow the pump to add right away, but it will allow it to connect in the near future!

Have a great day,”

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Good news

Good info here for those wondering if RL was needed to update the pumps to Mobius. The answer is no, you dont need RL as from the Mobius App you will be able to updated the pump firmware to make them Mobius compatible and controllable. Also from the app you will be able to downgrade the firmware if you prefer to keep controlling the pumps with RL.

t7ri

View Badges
Reaction score
where and when I can order for the Vortech pump with Mobius ready label?

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone been invited to the update yet? Would love to hear if Mobius update would still allow Apex integration.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My Mobius app has just been updated on Iphone to version 1.4

The updates are:
-Fix issue when editing Versa scenes
-Fix issue uploading profile images
-In app notifications for when Legacy devices are supported
-Misc improvements

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back