Ecotech Versa, avoid output clogging or calcification. Toughts and Sugestions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rpimenta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I just would like to exchange some knowledge with others that also use the Versa pumps like me. I'm noticing that my Versa pump is accumulating a lot of dirt on the output pipe and even calcification in a very small time of use like a month, leading me to be always alert of cleaning the output more frequently that I expect, to avoid a possible output blocking the output of the pump, that could lead to other problems that or even damage of the pump.

Also noted this will happen especially when you run the pump with a low flow, and when working 24x7 seam to make it even worse, I for example use it 24x7 to feed a reactor with only 1ml/minute, this will increase but not to much more, and at this moment it is only 1ml/minute because the reactor is cycling.

I think I have seen around some people that find out a way to filter the input to avoid or even minimize this, if someone could share I really would appreciate it.

Also I ask Ecotech alreay, (Just waiting for their answer) about what would be the best product to run the pump thru for a while once a month for example to clean all the inside of the tube from all dirt and eventually calcification, running it in the maximum output for example.

If someone have any comments about that and would like to share them, I would really appreciate, because I'm just trying to find some solutions to avoiding to be always checking if the pumps is starting to clog and need a cleaning to not reducing their output, I think this would not be what we would expect from a pumps we want to run 24x7 without concerns,, but perhaps I need to install some additional filter to ensure that.

Thank you all and hope to hear something that will help.

All the best

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify, what you mean by "output pipe"? Are you talking about inside the soft tube assembly or the simi-rigid 1/4" tube that is dripping fluid into you tank?

I would venture to guess that what you're experiencing is the build up of salt creep at the end of your tube as it exits. to avoid this, if feasible, you can submerge the outlet underwater so that it's not exposed to air and thus stopping the build up of salt creep.

As for inlet filters, I use an inline fuel filter on the versa that is pulling old water out for AWC. My problem wasn't that the line was getting clogged, it was that the amphipods were crawling up the tube and getting stuck.

and the adapter to connect it to the 1/4" line.

One thing that I noticed is that the filter needs to be soaked in peroxide on occasion to keep it from clogging.

I think that some of your concern is paranoia based on the fact that you can actually see inside the peristaltic tube. As you see a slime coat start to build you get concerned. however this is a common occurrence on the surfaces inside your tank, especially on the inside of pipes and tubes.

Although there is some concern that the you can get blockage in a tube, but I can tell you that I have outfitted most of the tasks that can be done with a peristaltic pump and can assure you that clogging shouldn't keep you up at night.

OP
OP
R

rpimenta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Sisterlimonpot,

In first place thank you for your reply,

Can you clarify, what you mean by "output pipe"? Are you talking about inside the soft tube assembly or the simi-rigid 1/4" tube that is dripping fluid into you tank?

I would venture to guess that what you're experiencing is the build up of salt creep at the end of your tube as it exits. to avoid this, if feasible, you can submerge the outlet underwater so that it's not exposed to air and thus stopping the build up of salt creep.

As for inlet filters, I use an inline fuel filter on the versa that is pulling old water out for AWC. My problem wasn't that the line was getting clogged, it was that the amphipods were crawling up the tube and getting stuck.

and the adapter to connect it to the 1/4" line.

One thing that I noticed is that the filter needs to be soaked in peroxide on occasion to keep it from clogging.

I think that some of your concern is paranoia based on the fact that you can actually see inside the peristaltic tube. As you see a slime coat start to build you get concerned. however this is a common occurrence on the surfaces inside your tank, especially on the inside of pipes and tubes.

Although there is some concern that the you can get blockage in a tube, but I can tell you that I have outfitted most of the tasks that can be done with a peristaltic pump and can assure you that clogging shouldn't keep you up at night.

Below I identify the place where I forming the build of dirt and even calcification, it is inside of the rubber tube of the versa, even before it gets out of the versa to the soft silicone tube I'm using on the output, where I point out in red on the photo below:

Versa_Exemplo_1.jpg

I'm using 1/4 RO tube on the input and silicon soft tube on the output using the hose barb adapter and the Ecotech supply with the pump as you can check on the photo below from my own installation.

Versa_Exemplo_2.jpg

Regarding the filter you suggested, I even have got one of those, to install on the input (1/4 RO tube) coming straight from the sump to feed the Versa, but did not got a direct way of adapt it and just tried to build an adapter like you can check on the photo below, I did not yet test it but my afraid is that it will suck air buy the hose I used to make the union between the filter and the 1/4 RO fitting, you can check a photo below:

Versa_Exemplo_3.jpg

I tried to use a 3/8 fitting as you mentioned, but it did not fit, perhaps it is a little bit different from the ones you have in the US.

The peroxide tip is very nice, otherwise perhaps I will have to change the filter more often!

Believe Me it is not a paranoia, with time clogged with dirt like a past and with some calcification clearly the flow almost stops, if I leave it like that it will end up clogg at all.

When I get the silicone hose out of the reactor and put the pump on its maximum output, you will not even imagine the amount of dirt it gets out... then I get a needle and scrape the calcium build up on that same place I sign on the first photo. The problem here is that it is a very, very slow flow.

Thank you for all your help and if you can contribute with something else I would be happy.

Thank you

Back