Educate me on your successes and failures with blueberry gorgonians (Acalycigorgia sp.)

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't actually purchased the coral yet. I just want to get a thread rolling documenting what you all have tried, read about being successful, or have had personal success with while keeping these corals. I'm hoping with a bit of guidance I'll be able to try one myself in the next few months with a higher possibility of the venture being a success.

So far I'm thinking I'll have the tank be fed throughout the day (every 2 hours or so, and even some nightly feedings) via my APEX and DOS system. I've also read that the corals need high flow - that I have. And the way it's set-up it has a fairly decent gyre motion, so I think the coral will have a better chance of actually catching the food introduced to the tank.

I'm particularly interested in what exactly people are feeding. I've read baby brine is popular (was it frozen? Do you hatch it all yourself?).

Thank you all, hopefully we can get a little database of trial and error for these corals going!

Oohkris123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blueberry gorgonian was always hard for me to keep.
They do best to medium to slightly high flow.. and fed them frozen baby brine shrimp, copepods, and reef roids they love that.... imo I think they do best left in the wild.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blueberry gorgonian was always hard for me to keep.
They do best to medium to slightly high flow.. and fed them frozen baby brine shrimp, copepods, and reef roids they love that.... imo I think they do best left in the wild.

How long did you keep your gorgs for / what seemed to be the turning point for them (if there was one)?

Oohkris123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept them for 5months and they grew slow but steady about an inch or so a month. I've kept them in high light and low light, light never bothered them flow is more important to them .... they seem to be slowly dying due starvation, maybe I couldn't keep up with them

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back