effects of prazi and live rock?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any long term effects on live rock if I were to dose prazi? I have two fish I suspect have flukes and would like to take a piece of rock from my cycling bin and set up a quick QT. I'm wondering if the rock will be useless for a reef after wards or if I run some carbon should it be okay for future use?

Thanks,

Matt

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any long term effects on live rock if I were to dose prazi? I have two fish I suspect have flukes and would like to take a piece of rock from my cycling bin and set up a quick QT. I'm wondering if the rock will be useless for a reef after wards or if I run some carbon should it be okay for future use?

Thanks,

Matt
No just run 2 doses. 30% water change after each dose.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say the rock will be fine. I dont think there is anything in the prazi that will kill bacteria. Run carbon to soak up any extra. Rinse the rock and your good to go

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some powder form praziquantel from my LFS. It's hard to get to mix in water so they suggested I use a bit of Vodka to dissolve. Well you guessed it I've got a pretty bad bacterial bloom going on.

I have a biowheel on the QT tank and I added an airstone. The fish aren't breathing rapidly but it does seem to be above average breathing rate. Ammonia and Nitrite both tested zero. It is a large enough bloom to make the water look very cloudy in the 20L front to back so 12" depth. I'm not sure whether to do a large water change or to let it ride out? Medication was dosed 18 hours ago.

It has a slight fishy smell to the garage now, which is why I checked for ammonia and nitrite.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8C8BD514-DAC3-46C0-9CB6-E5428EC5E688.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some powder form praziquantel from my LFS. It's hard to get to mix in water so they suggested I use a bit of Vodka to dissolve. Well you guessed it I've got a pretty bad bacterial bloom going on.

I have a biowheel on the QT tank and I added an airstone. The fish aren't breathing rapidly but it does seem to be above average breathing rate. Ammonia and Nitrite both tested zero. It is a large enough bloom to make the water look very cloudy in the 20L front to back so 12" depth. I'm not sure whether to do a large water change or to let it ride out? Medication was dosed 18 hours ago.

It has a slight fishy smell to the garage now, which is why I checked for ammonia and nitrite.
I stopped using alcohol as a solvent for prazi, too many side effects. I now use a fine brine shrimp net and press the prazi through it into the tank…
Jay

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using alcohol as a solvent for prazi, too many side effects. I now use a fine brine shrimp net and press the prazi through it into the tank…
Jay
Thanks for the tip Jay. I found a technique on a koi forum that’s similar. I plan to use a very fine media bag I’ve used for gfo in the past for the second round. Tank cleared up just fine yesterday. Fish are looking good so far.
Thanks!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back