OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my math 3 days and 2:55 or 74.55 hours total to match your first run. Not sure what that it means but your rinse looks close from the first test so far in ammonia depleted. Has no2 and no3 been giving you similar results from first test?
It does look like your rocks went back to original capacity from wend they were removed from the sump.

Well NO2 never read anything really. I didn't take N03 last night. But I did at 24 and 31 hours. And it was very close to the first run.

It does seem that I went back to what I originally had or very close at this point.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well NO2 never read anything really. I didn't take N03 last night. But I did at 24 and 31 hours. And it was very close to the first run.

It does seem that I went back to what I originally had or very close at this point.
It could be just a coincidence, but thought it could be something worth pointing out

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m know you are tired of this now - but would it not be very interesting to run another rinse and scrub of your stones exactly now - not seed any more - just rinse and scrub - no WC - just new ammonia after the scrub?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m know you are tired of this now - but would it not be very interesting to run another rinse and scrub of your stones exactly now - not seed any more - just rinse and scrub - no WC - just new ammonia after the scrub?

Sincerely Lasse

You know my wife has Darth Vader abilities and can strangle you from across the Atlantic, right?

Lol JK, she's really sweet.

Yes, I see where yall are going with this. But I thought you want to see it go to zero?

When you say now, you mean after this last bit is processed right?

Then reseed.

But how much?

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell her that all thing is equal today - make a promise to visit IKEA with her for your new furnitures :p

Yes - when you are near zero in NH4 with this last addition, add the same amount you did after the rinse and measure every 24 hours again

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell her that all thing is equal today - make a promise to visit IKEA with her for your new furnitures :p

Yes - when you are near zero in NH4 with this last addition, add the same amount you did after the rinse and measure every 24 hours again

Sincerely Lasse

Only thing is, how does this prove anything about the rinse for sure.

If our thought is now that the water change and cleaning the tank rinsed them away, so this time I don't clean the tank or change the water... all the bacteria that has grown since the last dose will be in the water column and on the glass again.

So I take the rocks out and rinse them and put them back in... but how do we know who's doing what percentage of the eating after the rinse.

The bac left on the rocks after the rinse or bac that was left in the water and on the glass? It's back to your 2 guys in a closed room with apples.

The only thing I think it would for sure tell us is that bacteria was washed away with the water change and the tank clean.

Correct?

@KimG thoughts?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing is, how does this prove anything about the rinse for sure.

If our thought is now that the water change and cleaning the tank rinsed them away, so this time I don't clean the tank or change the water... all the bacteria that has grown since the last dose will be in the water column and on the glass again.

So I take the rocks out and rinse them and put them back in... but how do we know who's doing what percentage of the eating after the rinse.

The bac left on the rocks after the rinse or bac that was left in the water and on the glass? It's back to your 2 guys in a closed room with apples.

The only thing I think it would for sure tell us is that bacteria was washed away with the water change and the tank clean.

Correct?

@KimG thoughts?
Do you not think I´m smart enough to trick you into new test runs if you get new interesting results :D?

Let us say that your test now show you that you are back in the start - when you first pick over the stones and did the first stress test. After that test you get a better result from your next test. If you now will do a rinse and test again you maybe get a indication if you in your seeding the last time seed the water/glass with biofilm and this biofilm was the important when you succeed to process 2.2 ppm during 24 hours after x seeds (I do not remember how many you did)

You can get 2 main answers of this - IMO -
1) the test after the seed will take the same time or longer as this last test (and the first) and
2) second answer - it take less time even after the rinse

1 means that the main nitrifiers is/was in your rocks
2 means that the new nitrifiers that growth from you first test run probably colonize the particles in the water and the glass

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not think I´m smart enough to trick you into new test runs if you get new interesting results :D?

Let us say that your test now show you that you are back in the start - when you first pick over the stones and did the first stress test. After that test you get a better result from your next test. If you now will do a rinse and test again you maybe get a indication if you in your seeding the last time seed the water/glass with biofilm and this biofilm was the important when you succeed to process 2.2 ppm during 24 hours after x seeds (I do not remember how many you did)

You can get 2 main answers of this - IMO -
1) the test after the seed will take the same time or longer as this last test (and the first) and
2) second answer - it take less time even after the rinse

1 means that the main nitrifiers is/was in your rocks
2 means that the new nitrifiers that growth from you first test run probably colonize the particles in the water and the glass

Sincerely Lasse

Got cha...

I just think you wanna see how long this 3 hour tour can really last though, professor. Lol

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant believe I missed this thread. Anyone know what page the main conclusion/summary post of the OP's experiment is?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant believe I missed this thread. Anyone know what page the main conclusion/summary post of the OP's experiment is?
Nope - he plan to summarize his test in another thread - but we all the time ask for more.....

Sincerely Lasse

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't know either.
You reminded me, someone wanted to see what happened to the coralline... was it you @Garf?

Before first, after second

I'm not sure it changed a ton. Tilting the camera can take it from a pretty bright green to a faded one.

20211109_202942.jpg 20211111_173130.jpg
Nah. Wasn’t me bud. If I never see green algae again it would be too soon. Only just got over a bryopsis infestation, but I’m mentally scarred. No, I didn’t wash my rocks in freshwater or scrub them to death btw :)

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken 72 hours after rinse and .75ml dose (3ppm).

NH4+NH3 = 0.6 ppm

NO2 = zero ppm

I'll take a test when I get up in the morning. About 10 hours from now. I imagine it'll be processed by then.

Attachments

• 20211112_212909.jpg
    20211112_212909.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211112_212718.jpg
    20211112_212718.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken 87 hours after rinse and .75ml (3ppm) dose. Processed.

NH4+NH3 - zero

NO2 - zero

I tested when I got up 5 hours ago and NH4+NH3 was still around .3ppm. So I gave it another 5 hours.

I plan to rinse the rocks and brush again, but not do a water change or clean the tank, and redose in about 3 hours or so.

20211113_120302.jpg 20211113_120536.jpg

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

Taken 24 hours after rinse without water change or cleaning the tank and redose of .75ml (3ppm)

NH4+NH3 = ~1.5ppm

Thinking it's gonna be processed by time I get home from work tomorrow (48 hours).

Which would line up pretty close with the second dose I did originally after it processed the 4 ppm but before the rinse which took 42.5 hours to process 3ppm

So... it's looking like it was the water change and the tank clean that washed away my bacteria the first time. Not so much the tap rinse of the rocks.

Attachments

• 20211114_161136.jpg
    20211114_161136.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 26

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

Taken 24 hours after rinse without water change or cleaning the tank and redose of .75ml (3ppm)

NH4+NH3 = ~1.5ppm

Thinking it's gonna be processed by time I get home from work tomorrow (48 hours).

Which would line up pretty close with the second dose I did originally after it processed the 4 ppm but before the rinse which took 42.5 hours to process 3ppm

So... it's looking like it was the water change and the tank clean that washed away my bacteria the first time. Not so much the tap rinse of the rocks.
Did you scrub the rock too, or just rinse?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back