Egads! Another Reefer 170 build...slo style

slocal

Muahahaha
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, R2R!

New to here, but semi-new to the reef aquaria game! This looks like a mighty fine place to conspire and cohort with fellow zany brains - people, not the corals.

I started keeping reef tanks in 09, and had one up until 2014, when I bought my first house. Taking apart the old tank was sad, but I found some really good homes for everything except my lil True Perc, Merlin (now Merlene, obv). I kept Merly with me in a FOWLR setup in a spare bedroom, but just did the bare-minimum with water changes only. I started feeling bad for Merly, and was about to rehome her, when I got the itch in to reef again.

It hit me HARD.

So now, I'm knee-deep into a Reefer 170 with the intention of keeping a mixed reef.

The notable equipment:

NanoBox Duo Plus M
24" AquaticLife T5 Hybrid
2x Kessil a160we
Kessil Spectral Controller X
Neptune ApexEL
2 MP40wQDs via wxm module
RO Varios-2
Aquamaxx WS1
Smart ATO Micro
DD Acrylics 5gal reservoir
Kessil H80
2 Kamoer X1 dosing pumps
Clearview Pisces EXO

Current Pic (2/18/20):

20200218_191910.jpg

Livestock:
1 true perc (Merlin, now Leela)
1 fancy oc (Fry)
2 Exquisite Firefish (Amy and Kif)
1 White-Banded Possum Wrasse (Nibbler)
1 skunk cleaner (Scruffy, The Janitor)
1 halloween hermit (Zoidberg)
Misc CUC from @reefcleaners

LPS:
Lime Ultra Branching Hammer
The Vault Rainbow Lord Acan
Acid Spill Space Trip Duncans
Rose Bomb Micro Favia
Miami Hurricane Chalice
ASD Alveopora

SPS:
Dragon Child Acro
ASD Voldimort (looks like Acropora horrida)
Candlelight Acro
Flame Tips Acro
Blue Vampire Acro
ORA Purple Stylo
ASD Futurama
ORA Setosa
PC Rainbow
Red Robin Acro
ASD Sunrise Mille
Forrest Fire Digi
Tapioberry
Jesus Acro
Blue Storm Acro
ASD Show Tank Christmas Table

How it started: DOB 6/7/19

20190601_164406.jpg

Wired and wet:

20190615_210538.jpg

20190607_225747.jpg

After Apex:

20190720_153742.jpg

20190718_203817.jpg

After refugium conversion:

20190905_004217.jpg

20190905_003943.jpg

20190905_003931.jpg

20190905_004313.jpg

20190825_203614.jpg

So far, my custom "flume" for the skimmer output is working well for the little refugium. I can slide it along the refugium's glass to adjust how much flow it receives from the skimmer's output. Seeing the chaeto finally start to float has given me hope!

I'm pretty happy with it all, even though the tank is going through the mega uglies right now. I do see some coralline starting to take hold on the rock, so I'm pretty stoked on that. Holding off on corals till the uglies subside and coralline takes over. The huge shelf-ish rock on top will hopefully be home to a healthy anemone when the tank is mature enough.

Thanks for reading!!

PS: my first all-HOB tank from back in the day:

tank-lip.jpg.c95100e1c756122ef257ec027f07fb7d.jpg

Last edited:

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I've been looking into tablet mounts to do exactly what you did there. Can you tell me which one you used, and how you like it? Did you have to drill holes in the stand?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely belong in the hobby. I see you changed things under the cabinet like 3 times already. Always tinkering, changing, doing new things. I like it. Looks very clean and organized.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I always marvel at peoples organizational skills.

OP
OP
slocal

slocal

Muahahaha
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I've been looking into tablet mounts to do exactly what you did there. Can you tell me which one you used, and how you like it? Did you have to drill holes in the stand?

Thanks!

No holes drilled at all because this suction cup is a BEAST! It helps that the Reefer series has such a smooth finish. It's also nice to be able to position the arm in any way that tickles my fancy.

Matone Tablet Holder

You definitely belong in the hobby. I see you changed things under the cabinet like 3 times already. Always tinkering, changing, doing new things. I like it. Looks very clean and organized.

Hah, yeah, I realized I was doing the same things I did with my old tank. Definitely feels good to be back in the saddle! Thank you!

Very nice! I always marvel at peoples organizational skills.

Thanks! It's nowhere near as a clean as I'd like it to be, but at least I can stick my hands in there without knocking something over. :D

OP
OP
slocal

slocal

Muahahaha
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done, looks great!

Any reason why you’re running chaeto on such a young tank?

Thank you!

Well, a bit of a novelty at this point, but since it is completely removable (the refugium), I figured there was no risk on creating a nice spot for pods and to balance out my co2-related PH issues.

Even with the 3w Reno fixture, the ball was growing and floating well. My pod hotel has already been through two shakes in the DT, keeping the little clown goby fed and happy (he really is teeny and translucent). Heck, the clowns graze the rocks and glass for pods like fat little cows.

That being said, there is still plenty of film on the rock and glass every two days for the CUC feast for a few days before I scrape the glass. Not to mention the diatoms that still pop up in a few pockets of this rock.

looking good! greetings from Los Osos!

Thank you very much!

Say, man, how goes it! I grew up in LO and graduated from MBHS! Hail to the fog!

mr. lovestrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Well, a bit of a novelty at this point, but since it is completely removable (the refugium), I figured there was no risk on creating a nice spot for pods and to balance out my co2-related PH issues.

Even with the 3w Reno fixture, the ball was growing and floating well. My pod hotel has already been through two shakes in the DT, keeping the little clown goby fed and happy (he really is teeny and translucent). Heck, the clowns graze the rocks and glass for pods like fat little cows.

That being said, there is still plenty of film on the rock and glass every two days for the CUC feast for a few days before I scrape the glass. Not to mention the diatoms that still pop up in a few pockets of this rock.

Thank you very much!

Say, man, how goes it! I grew up in LO and graduated from MBHS! Hail to the fog!

It goes well!, thanks for asking. I've probably seen you at Tropics a time or two, it is one of my favorite places to gawk at fish. when youre ready for livestock I've got a couple of cool corals that are nearly indestructible that will be ready to frag soon.

OP
OP
slocal

slocal

Muahahaha
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It goes well!, thanks for asking. I've probably seen you at Tropics a time or two, it is one of my favorite places to gawk at fish. when youre ready for livestock I've got a couple of cool corals that are nearly indestructible that will be ready to frag soon.

No doubt! I was just there today! Were you reefing when Andreas owned Tropics back on Foothill? He was a cool cat, but he found a great set of owners in Paul and Lanor.

That is very kind of you to offer and I will no doubt be looking at some hardy frags when the time is right. :)

Last edited:

mr. lovestrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt! I was just there today! Were you reefing when Andreas owned Tropics back on Foothill? He was a cool cat, but he found a great set of owners in Paul and Lanor.

That is very kind of you to offer and I will no doubt be looking at come hardy frags when the time is right. :)

Oh yeah, I remember Andreas, definitely a cool cat.

Super cool tank you have set up. I am really digging that apex display and holder.

OP
OP
slocal

slocal

Muahahaha
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios-2 arrived and running! Down from 45w to 17w, wow! The Tunze was a hog.

20190907_163144.jpg

Oh yeah, I remember Andreas, definitely a cool cat.

Super cool tank you have set up. I am really digging that apex display and holder.

Thanks! It's a Fire tablet running on the Dolphin browser as suggested by Neptune. Works really well.

Nicely done, following! :)
I always run macro from the start in new tanks. ;)

Cheers!

It's my first fuge, but its massive fun already!

Last edited:
OP
OP
slocal

slocal

Muahahaha
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a text today that my @ArtFully Acrylic Clearview Pisces EXO has shipped!!!! ;Woot

9 weeks on the dot, btw. Nice!

Also, today's params:

Salinity: 1.026
PH: 8.11-8.08 (day and night)
dKH: 8
Ca: 400
PO4: 0.11
NO3: 5ppm

Chaeto is getting thicc and full of pods. Seeing some spots of coralline finally to take hold.

OP
OP
slocal

slocal

Muahahaha
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a spell but the tank is chugging along. Added some new toys, including two a160we's and a spectral controller x.

Corals from @AquaSD's Cyber Monday Sale. The ASD Voldemort and Blue Vampire Acro are my favorites and are doing very well. I'll have to grab some pics when everything is acclimated and glued into place.

20191223_204135.jpg

20191223_203852.jpg

20191214_201304.jpg

Updates should be coming more often. Things are starting to get exciting!

Last edited:

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tank! Where did you find the matching yellow tubing for the aquamaxx?!

OP
OP
slocal

slocal

Muahahaha
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Where did you find the matching yellow tubing for the aquamaxx?!

Thanks. It's getting there!

I got the hose from MD:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back