Eggs in my tank Nitrate levels are high and I'm looking for a solution.

JoeFish80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my lawnmower blenny who was once named Oscar but well is a girl, so I still gotta come up with a new name for her... But that's besides the point, anyways so she's started laying eggs which at first I thought was well all fine and dandy no big deal. But it seems to be creating a new problem for my aquarium. Its my belief that the eggs are decomposing and thus causing my nitrates in the tank to soar. Least that's my guess. Only two fish in the aquarium. One clown named Shark Bait, and then her. So not a ton of waste really far as fish goes so its the only thing I can think of that would be causing it.

My question is, what can I put in the aquarium that might eat said eggs thus eliminating the problem before they well decompose and start to pollute the water. Sucking the eggs out isn't really an option, not without taking the live rock out really cause she smart and kind of sticks them in harder to reach places. My hermit crabs don't seem too interested in bothering the eggs they might just have enough algae to work with so they just are content with that. But no less they're not eating any of them far as I can tell. But if anyone has an idea on what could possibly work to help this well silly problem it'd be appreciated.

Right now I'm just crossing my fingers hoping I don't loose the anemone's, started with one but its split and there's two now in the 20. Least they appear to be staying fairly small or that'd become a new issue as well. But I'll have to deal with that if it comes to it down the road I suppose.

So info on the tank, its just a 20 gallon tank. So its pretty easy for nitrates to climb anyways. But this is the first real issue I've had it with it so far other than the occasional seemingly random algae bloom in the past but those seem to have settled thought everything was well running more smoothly till tonight. And it really seems to have blown up in the past day or two. Things were looking fine the nems were all happy and I've still not noticed any difference in the fish themselves but the nems now are very very disgruntled hopefully the water changes will keep them going but they'll have to fend for themselves till tomorrow, then I'll get the levels back to normal. But that egg problem will carry on cause it seems she just really likes laying eggs...

Anywho any thoughts on this would be appreciated, I'm just not sure what might eat the eggs that would do ok in the 20 gallon tank.

OP
OP
JoeFish80

JoeFish80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure what else could cause the issue, The blenny decided that she's a clown fish and eats pellets with the clown and maybe one or two pellets a feeding get wasted. I still hear my pistol shrimp snapping away so it hasn't died. All hermit crabs are accounted for same with the four snails. Didn't seem to be a slowly accumulating problem it more popped up in about the span of 2 or 3 days which seems more like a death in the tank so my assumption was the eggs. Could be wrong can't say I know for certain.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back