Eggs on zoas, is this nudis or Zoa Pox?

Discussion in 'Zoa Discussion (CLUB ZOA)' started by Dodgersfan, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

just got a big shipment of coral in, lots of zoas, one has these on it, can’t tell if it’s zoa eating nudi eggs or pox... picking at them with tweezers yields nothing. They don’t pop and they don’t scrape off. Just dipped them with coral RX. Nothing else in the shipment shows any. They are sitting in my after dip Tupperware right now while I decide what to do with them. Do I just chuck them to be safe? They are not going in my DT, I have a frag tank (with a lot of other zoas in it). I’ve also got an unlit QT that I could put it in for observation, but I don’t have a spare light for it, so it would be short term only. I wish I new what the zoa was, if it was something common/cheap I’d just chuck it, but it was part of a random frag pack, so I don’t know if it’s something cool or not! Thoughts?

4DA58C08-9AEF-48A7-BD9F-2DC15E3F3F74.jpeg 7DAA863D-BDD8-45FB-9327-D29CAB5F5E6E.jpeg F701E5A9-0539-47A0-B803-5CE9244C5D7B.jpeg B61DFF9E-1513-46E5-B5A0-99FC6C041E12.jpeg 794C5CE8-FD11-438C-B544-777752888765.jpeg

Tags:

2. KJ

KJ Road Warrior R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader ETRC Member R2R Excellence Award

Hard to tell from the picture. Possibility that you have a Zoa-eating Nudibranch.

3. Dodgersfan

Unfortunately iPhone is the best camera I have :(

4. Dodgersfan

So I took the light off my frag tank and put it on my QT temporarily to see if it even opens and maybe see what it is. If it’s something common or it’s not opening then I think the best bet is going to be to just chuck it and not risk the whole frag tank over 1 frag. If it’s something neat I may try to treat assuming it’s nudi eggs (pox would’ve popped when I raked tweezers over them, right?) I can remove all of my snails and crabs from the frag tank and hit the whole frag tank with flatworm exit... It is BB no sand or rock.

5. tankstudy

tankstudy Valuable Member

If your picking at them and they aren't coming off, they probably aren't eggs. Based off your pictures, it looks more like zoa pox.

6. Dodgersfan

i ended up picking up a spare light for $60. its worth having around and i had everything else i needed to set up a temporary QT so I've got the frag in its sown QT, so far only 3 of the dozen or so polyps are opening, it is a pretty cool orange and purple color, the spots have been becoming slowly less noticeable. I am going to treat it assuming its Pox, I ordered some furan-2 and will do a dip to see if that helps it. hopefully it pulls through.

Draft saved Draft deleted