Eggs over easy: What Hanna checkers do you use?

What Hanna checkers do you use?

• Copper high range (HI702)

Votes: 120 17.4%
  • Phosphate (HI713)

Votes: 149 21.6%
  • Phosphorus ULR (HI736)

Votes: 159 23.1%
  • Alkalinity ppm (HI755)

Votes: 142 20.6%
  • Calcium (HI758U)

Votes: 217 31.5%
  • Nitrite ULR (HI764)

Votes: 52 7.5%
  • Alkalinity dkh (HI772)

Votes: 390 56.6%
  • Phosphate ULR (HI774)

Votes: 285 41.4%
  • pH (HI780)

Votes: 91 13.2%
  • Nitrate low range (HI781)

Votes: 151 21.9%
  • Magnesium (HI783)

Votes: 115 16.7%
  • Ammonia (HI784)

Votes: 33 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • None

Votes: 54 7.8%
  • High Range Nitrate (HI782)

Votes: 204 29.6%
  • Salinity Pen (HI98319)

Votes: 105 15.2%

• Total voters

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good (by good I mean precision / accurate) trace element testers? I'm dosing trace elements from Red Sea (A, B, C, D) which includes, iron, manganese, potassium, iodine, and other elements. I don't want to test for them all, but key players like Iron, potassium, and maybe even iodine would be good.

I don't do water changes and pay for ICP tests once a year just to see how things are a year apart. Usually trace elements are on the low or zero side for some of them, despite religious weekly dosing.

I also don't want to overdose, so I dose on the low side.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good (by good I mean precision / accurate) trace element testers? I'm dosing trace elements from Red Sea (A, B, C, D) which includes, iron, manganese, potassium, iodine, and other elements. I don't want to test for them all, but key players like Iron, potassium, and maybe even iodine would be good.

I don't do water changes and pay for ICP tests once a year just to see how things are a year apart. Usually trace elements are on the low or zero side for some of them, despite religious weekly dosing.

I also don't want to overdose, so I dose on the low side.
Here is one for iodine https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/an-accurate-and-precise-method-for-measuring-iodine.909/

For Iron I use the Hanna HI-746...and for potassium I use the Salifert test...don't test for manganese

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I compare them to results of the same sample using the same cuvette.

So I chose the HI-758 Calcium Checker to have a look at stability over time (3 years) below are the results....In this particular Checker I am not seeing drifting over time...My next one I will look at is the Alk Checker HI-772. I have some older data on this one also to compare my new results with...I also have a couple others that I think I have some older data on...will have a look

I did a calibration check on my Hanna HI-758 Calcium checker using NIST traceable calibration standard and compared it to my 2020 calibration work using reagent grade Calcium Chloride to make my standards…Here are the results.

1679333301026.png

1679333573711.png
1679334463883.png

CONCLUSIONS:

• My standards preparation skills are not bad. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
  • The HI-758 is very capable. With a minor adjustment at the upper end it is trustworthy.
  • The HI-758 is consistent over time
  • The reagents for the HI-758 appear to be consistent or I just got lucky.

1679333093041.png

Last edited:

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a question for everyone. How long do you shake the sample with reagent? I always do the two minutes but feel like it could be much less.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a question for everyone. How long do you shake the sample with reagent? I always do the two minutes but feel like it could be much less.
Many of the tests have a stated mixing time. Are you talking about a specific test or just as a general practice?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do what the instructions say. In my case HR Nitrate and ULR Phosphate both say 2 minutes, BUT, Phosphates say to mix or swirl while Nitrates say to shake. My nitrate test, when mixed similar to Phosphate instructions gave me 3ppm, when shaken properly I got 8 ppm which is closer to expected. I'd advise to just follow the instructions.

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I chose the HI-758 Calcium Checker to have a look at stability over time (3 years) below are the results....In this particular Checker I am not seeing drifting over time...My next one I will look at is the Alk Checker HI-772. I have some older data on this one also to compare my new results with...I also have a couple others that I think I have some older data on...will have a look

I did a calibration check on my Hanna HI-758 Calcium checker using NIST traceable calibration standard and compared it to my 2020 calibration work using reagent grade Calcium Chloride to make my standards…Here are the results.

1679333301026.png

1679333573711.png
1679334463883.png

CONCLUSIONS:

• My standards preparation skills are not bad. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
  • The HI-758 is very capable. With a minor adjustment at the upper end it is trustworthy.
  • The HI-758 is consistent over time
  • The reagents for the HI-758 appear to be consistent or I just got lucky.

1679333093041.png
I like these data, does look like yours have stayed consistent (along with your testing skills). How heavily do you use your testers? Same batteries or do you put “fresh” ones in periodically. I may have a heavier use case than others, resulting in greater wear.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like these data, does look like yours have stayed consistent (along with your testing skills). How heavily do you use your testers? Same batteries or do you put “fresh” ones in periodically. I may have a heavier use case than others, resulting in greater wear.
I use most of the testers 1x/week with the exception of the AlK HI-722 and that is every day. I have only changed the batteries when the warning comes up...but you bring up a good point...low battery could be a factor before the warning actually shows up

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SERA Marine briefcase set with a heap of different tests in it. Covers most of the obscure stuff. I bought the Hanna kits for Calcium, Phosphates, and Nitrates and they are definitely a lot easier, or at least most are. Made the mistake of getting the Nitrate LR and it's a stupidly complicated mess. I lost one of the rubber seals the first time I used it and it's basically useless now. Even before that though, the steps were just way too much. It's in the back of a cupboard somewhere and I just use the standard Nitrate test now.
Honestly, though, I rarely test more than once a month or two anymore.
I'm not trying to grow crazy difficult SPS, or get insane levels of growth or anything like that. Just a 20 Gal Nano with a mix of LPS and Softies, some anemones and a clam. I run an auto water changer that cycles about 1-2% of fresh SW into the tank every day and I run All-For Reef on an auto-doser adding a few drops a day. Chaeto in the back chamber, no skimmer. Too many fish I'm sure but everything grows well enough, the fish are healthy and happy, the waters clear and I don't have much in the way of nuisance algae (apart from a recurring Gellidium issue... ggrrr).
I'm way more into hands-off automation than constant fiddling around. It was fun to play mad scientist with the vials and droppers for the first few weeks, but the appeal wears off quickly. Plus, it's a small enough tank that if I do run into an issue with water quality, I can drain the tank and refill in an hour or so, using the auto water changer.

The one tester I would say that I LOVE and use constantly is the Hannah Salinity checker. With constant small water changes, I'm mixing up about a new batch of salt-water each week, and a 5-second digital readout is amazing!!

geeked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some of my Hanna checkers cuvettes that I have used often last night are growing mold in the lids. Has anyone else noticed their cuvettes doing this? I have a little spray bottle with RODI water that I sprayed a little water scraped it out with a butter knife and rinsed with RODI spray bottle.
Hanna does make a cleaning solution for the cuvettes

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggs over easy: What Hanna checkers do you use?

Water testing is important and many reef keepers use Hanna checkers to monitor their water quality. For many of us, the benefit of seeing a number on a screen instead of trying to judge the shade of pink, green, or some other color is significant. The Hanna checkers include meters for phosphates, nitrate, ammonia, magnesium, calcium, alkalinity, and more. Some reef keepers have even use 3D printed racks to keep their Hanna checkers and the related reagents organized. However, not everyone uses these testers and some have stayed with the color strips related to manual testing while others have moved to automated testing solutions. What is your experience with the Hanna checkers? Which options do you have and which ones do your regularly use? Please share your thoughts in the discussion thread!

RobBz_HannaRack.jpg

Photo by @RobB’z Reef
Do you have a maker file so I can print that holder?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back