Eheim Jäger - Complicated or I am at fault? Probably that latter :)

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just going to throw it out there thermometers can also be an issue. i have three thermometers and they all read a degree or to off. one way or the other.
Yes I see that. I have 4 and all are reading differently. I have two in tank. One reads 77 the other 75.5

Last edited:

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it would have I could not get my temp up no matter how high I set dial.

I just checked the ambient temp of both rooms. My DT temp is 61.5 when I am not running space heater (which is all night and times throughout the day when I am not down here) and the Sump area is 64.7. So that seems to be a huge difference to make up.

I think you answered your own question here. The problem wasn’t a lack of controller or a setting on the heater. It’s just that the heater wasn’t big enough because of the low ambient temp around the tank.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is the final outcome.

1. I'll Never buy anything from BRS again. They are the ones that told me what to get when I contacted them and told them I am new to the hobby and not really sure what size heater to buy. When what they recommended did not work they basically told me "tough luck" and try to sell them online because they I can't return them.

2. Ask questions on reef2reef before buying anything else again to get a definitive and more thorough answer to my question.

Anyone want to buy two barely used BSR 100 watt heaters. LOL.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the frustration, but it's hard to blame BRS for going with manufacturer size recommendations and not recommending an oversized heater which could result in liability issues. Boycott them if you choose, but you will really be missing out on one of the best vendors in the hobby for reefing equipment.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the frustration, but it's hard to blame BRS for going with manufacturer size recommendations and not recommending an oversized heater which could result in liability issues. Boycott them if you choose, but you will really be missing out on one of the best vendors in the hobby for reefing equipment.
Best? If they were the best they would be more concerned about their customers. I contacted them for advice before buying from them telling them I am new. So they should have at least done a better job of asking a new person the right questions. I have read several reviews now and see that this is typical of them. So it's just business to them and to me :) nothing personal. I know 140.00 might not seem like a lot but for me it is a huge waste of money.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is disappointing that they were unable to work something out with you. And it’s disappointing that they didn’t think to ask about the air temp around your tank. However, I think you are in a bit of an unusual situation with such low ambient temps. I’ve been quite happy with BRS as well, but I can certainly understand how this experience has soured your opinion of them.

I’m not sure where you’re getting $140 from, though. The 100W heaters are $46 each, so two of them would only be $92. If you do want to sell them you should be able to post a message on the For Sale forum here. I’m sure that someone would need them and you could at least recover some of your money.

Another option might be just to keep those 100W heating elements and get a third 100W element.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 to Ehiem sucks. I had one that I turn down all the way to get it to stay at 82F. Ehiem support finally offered me a replacement after two weeks, but by the time they replied Chewy.com had already refunded my money.

I go with Aqueon now, works great.
at this point that is what I am doing. BRS will not even let me return the heaters I bought. Going to get two Aqueon Pro 200 watt heaters at Petco.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is disappointing that they were unable to work something out with you. And it’s disappointing that they didn’t think to ask about the air temp around your tank. However, I think you are in a bit of an unusual situation with such low ambient temps. I’ve been quite happy with BRS as well, but I can certainly understand how this experience has soured your opinion of them.

I’m not sure where you’re getting $140 from, though. The 100W heaters are $46 each, so two of them would only be $92. If you do want to sell them you should be able to post a message on the For Sale forum here. I’m sure that someone would need them and you could at least recover some of your money.

Another option might be just to keep those 100W heating elements and get a third 100W element.
I paid for overnight shipping which came out to 140 and change. Again, nothing personal, sure they are nice guys at BRS but my money is important to me too :) I think customer services and biting the bullet so the customer does not have to goes a long way. Especially in a situation like this. Anyway, I am going to just buy 2 aeon pro 200 watt from Petco and sell these on Facebook or Offer up. Problem solved. thanks.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID ABOUT BRS!!!

I just received an email from them and they apologized and understood my situation was unique and offered to send me two 200 watt at same cost and I can return the 100 Watt. NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE that will keep customers coming back for a lifetime!

Thank you BRS.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID ABOUT BRS!!!

I just received an email from them and they apologized and understood my situation was unique and offered to send me two 200 watt at same cost and I can return the 100 Watt. NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE that will keep customers coming back for a lifetime!

Thank you BRS.

That’s great:). I’m glad it worked out for you.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small yellow watchman goby just died :(. My first larger watchman goby was killed by a yellow tang I got rid of. So I bought a smaller watchman goby. I am wondering if it was due to the low temp in the tank which was for awhile around 74ish? is that too cold for some fish?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small yellow watchman goby just died :(. My first larger watchman goby was killed by a yellow tang I got rid of. So I bought a smaller watchman goby. I am wondering if it was due to the low temp in the tank which was for awhile around 74ish? is that too cold for some fish?

74 isn’t ideal, but it’s not low enough to kill anything. Big temperature fluctuations can definitely cause stress and if the fish are otherwise sick or having other problems it can be enough to cause death.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a tank in a cold room, I was able to really cut down on heater demand by insulating what I could - so the unviewed sides/back and bottom were wrapped or covered with styrofoam, and I used a cover (it was an open top). Made a big difference in power, and I didn't have to add another heater to keep temps up. If you can do something like that, you may see benefit.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a tank in a cold room, I was able to really cut down on heater demand by insulating what I could - so the unviewed sides/back and bottom were wrapped or covered with styrofoam, and I used a cover (it was an open top). Made a big difference in power, and I didn't have to add another heater to keep temps up. If you can do something like that, you may see benefit.
Thanks. This is only about 4 most out of the year when temps get into 30's. Also going to be adding a heater eventually.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at this point that is what I am doing. BRS will not even let me return the heaters I bought. Going to get two Aqueon Pro 200 watt heaters at Petco.
Yea you can’t return items that are used and have been in a tank. It says that all over their site before you buy anything.
that’s on you for not reading or looking around.

Edit: I see they came back and made an exception for you even though it’s against their normal policy.
sounds like great service to me.
maybe now you will continue to shop there lol

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you can’t return items that are used and have been in a tank. It says that all over their site before you buy anything.
that’s on you for not reading or looking around.
actually its on them and they acknowledged it and are sending me two 200 watt for no extra charge :). All good.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually its on them and they acknowledged it and are sending me two 200 watt for no extra charge :). All good.
I edited my post after reading that they made a special exception for you even when it’s against their normal policy.

Gonna say you seem pretty entitled in this whole thread.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep claiming it’s everyone else fault and you shouldn’t be responsible for the purchase you made without doing research and then cry and claim horrible service by them when it was your fault.
then when they come back and help you all of a sudden they are ok and you feel vindicated.
people with attitudes like this are why those policy’s are instated in the first place.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back