Eheim Jager 100w Heater Getting Too Hot

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I've got a Fluval EVO 13.5 aquarium that has been up and running for just over 3 weeks now. When I first got the aquarium, my LFS ordered and sold me an Eheim Jager 100w heater. When I first set up the aquarium, I set the heater to 78° F. It started getting increasingly more hot and settled around 82° F. I tried to lower the temperature by setting the heater to 74° F. This worked for a while but then it started getting increasingly more hot again and settled around 79° F to 80° F. I left it for a few weeks and it kept that temperature. Recently it started to get a little more hot, sitting closer to 80° F. I found out a couple of days ago that I could try to recalibrate it. I've tried to recalibrate it and now its heating to around 81° F. I'm not sure what to do, my aquarium has finished cycling and I would like to get some fish in there but I need to figure out the heater before that can happen. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take that heater back to the LFS and ask for my money back. It's way too big for your tank and should not have been recommended.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 100 watt heater will work just fine, it just won't run as often. Put it on a controller, like an inkbird, and it will only run when the controller's thermometer is below the setpoint.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An oversized heater is a recipe for disaster. A much preferable approach would be running 2x undersized heaters.

Eheim's recommendation's from BRS website:

50w 7-16 gallons
75w 16-26 gallons
100W 26-40 gallons.

A 50W is the recommended size for your tank. I'd go 75W if it's in a cold room. No bigger than that though.

OP
OP
R

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies! I ordered an Eheim Jager 50w heater which arrived yesterday. It’s been in the aquarium since last night and I set the temperature to 78° F. I woke up this morning at the aquarium is at 81° F. I think I’ll let it run for one more day and then maybe try to calibrate it if the temperature is still off from what it’s set to.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the 50w should be on an inkbird. I've used many eheim heaters and they are still my preferred choice but they seem much much more likely to stick on then stick off. I use one 250w in my 112 gallon and on the coldest mornings it can't keep my tank quite at 77f but that also means on the hottest days it's not going to cook it if somehow the inkbird fails on.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jager calibration doesnt work that well. I recommend ignore the red ring and printed numbers, just use an external thermometer and dial the heater in that way.

OP
OP
R

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the Help and advice! I got a refund for the 100w Eheim Jager heater at my LFS and now I’ve the 50w Eheim Jager heater in my aquarium which seems to be maintaining the temperature much better! I have also ordered an ink bird to help control the temperature!

Back