Electric Blue Hermit ate my Green Star Polyp??????

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i saw my electric blue hermit crab on my green star polyp frag, i took him off as i could see the coral looked stressed and was all closed. Its been a good few hours since this but my green star polyp hasn't opened at all. I've just realised that my hermit may have eaten the heads off the GSP. I thought it was closed at first as it looks closed but as it hasn't opened for so long i believe the hermit has completely eaten the heads off it, it can't possibly open.

I'm posting here as have you hear of hermits doing this? What should i do, move him to my sump? Will the coral survive?
image1.jpeg

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i saw my electric blue hermit crab on my green star polyp frag, i took him off as i could see the coral looked stressed and was all closed. Its been a good few hours since this but my green star polyp hasn't opened at all. I've just realised that my hermit may have eaten the heads off the GSP. I thought it was closed at first as it looks closed but as it hasn't opened for so long i believe the hermit has completely eaten the heads off it, it can't possibly open.

I'm posting here as have you hear of hermits doing this? What should i do, move him to my sump? Will the coral survive?
image1.jpeg
I’ve recently encountered my emerald crab eating on my zoa polyp and my peppermint shrimp attacking my branch hammer coral. I’d go ahead and toss your hermit in sump or something maybe even take him back to LFS if it’s getting a taste of coral now who knows what will happen to the others

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if you want just watch him closely to be sure he’s not damaging any other corals. IF he is cleaning which maybe he is i dont know. You should be okay

OP
OP
A

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently encountered my emerald crab eating on my zoa polyp and my peppermint shrimp attacking my branch hammer coral. I’d go ahead and toss your hermit in sump or something maybe even take him back to LFS if it’s getting a taste of coral now who knows what will happen to the others
Thanks for the response. Im gonna monitor him, and see if the coral does in fact open back up again in a few days. If not ive got a large ref in the sump, he would be happy there. Wdym LFS?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back