Electric Flame Scallop Killing hermit crabs?

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a electric Flame Scallop in my tank. I recently noticed dead corpse of my blue legged hermit crabs right next to it. Has anyone encountered anything like this before where their hermit crabs have been getting killed by a Scallop.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a electric Flame Scallop in my tank. I recently noticed dead corpse of my blue legged hermit crabs right next to it. Has anyone encountered anything like this before where their hermit crabs have been getting killed by a Scallop.
I don't think that to be even remotely possible..

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually maybe yes! I have learned they produce a stunning acidic mucus when attacked, the crab may have been stunned, though still alive

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link to any study showing your findings?

Furthermore that their natural defences against marine predators would have any effect on humans?
I don't have the time to fully check but I believe it to be this one. It might not be though, ill keep an eye out if its not

https://www.colorado.edu/cumuseum/2021/01/06/disco-clams This is a shortened version by another party

Id have little reason to assume humans randomly have immunity to the toxin, but we are different, far larger, and not directly breathing it in like the mantis shrimp in the study, potentially causing the "shock" feeling but nothing more pronouced

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the time to fully check but I believe it to be this one. It might not be though, ill keep an eye out if its not

https://www.colorado.edu/cumuseum/2021/01/06/disco-clams This is a shortened version by another party

Id have little reason to assume humans randomly have immunity to the toxin, but we are different, far larger, and not directly breathing it in like the mantis shrimp in the study, potentially causing the "shock" feeling but nothing more pronouced
We have a protective layer of skin being my thought.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back