Electric Flame Scallop

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon guys,

So I bought the electric flame scallop as an impulse buy. Saw it at the LFS and it looked very cool. Its been on my tank for over a week now. I placed the scallop on the sand next to the rocks but since the second day it moved and has been dangling from the rock ever since. It looks like the shells came apart at the base, don't know if that's normal or not. Definitely not behaving like at the LFS. What do you guys think?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
20190115_134617.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I won't be much help. I had the same urge to impulse by one of these years ago and my experience with them was short lived and I placed them on my "well, I won't do that again list". Hopefully someone has had better luck with them and can answer your question. I plan to follow along to learn a little more about these. I believe I seen a post where @saltyfilmfolks may have had one. They are really neat! Hope yours does well!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough animal. Ime , I’ve bought 3 one survived. They just don’t transport well.

Honestly I don’t do anything special for mine. Rotate foods , spirulina brine shrimp rotifers some reef blend thing and LRS on occasion.
It’s 3 years old.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years is a good run. Of course, many impulse buyers (like I was) may not realize that they will zoom from here-there-and-everywhere around the tank, landing ‘wherever.’ It could be rough on a tank’s worth of unsuspecting delicate corals. (Lol) :cool:

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had much luck either. Tried two and longest I've had them last is a few months making sure I feed lots of phyto a few times a week. Just read and read about them and hope your experience is better than mine.

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info. I will definitely do more research before buying another one.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I had a couple that lived more than 2 years, but that was back when I had weak lighting and kinda high nutrients, and both of those factors are probably the only reason they survived as long as they did.
Expect they may hide in caves or darker areas, if they last.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back