Electrical advice - GFCI, two prone outlet, ground probe??

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am installing a new GFCI in to an old two prong outlet, which is ungrounded of course. I also want to use a ground probe.

Will a ground probe still function plugged into a GFCI outlet with no ground, or is it useless?

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.amazon.com/RV2735-Rid-Volt-Titanium-Grounding-Probe/dp/B0002DGSWE

if its like that , no. Its for elimination not sensing. A gfci monitors the current on the grounded conductor (AKA neutral, white wire) and the grounded conductor in whatever is attached to the gfci. It will not manufacture a ground if there is not one in the jbox for the one your replacing. You think you have a stray voltage issue?

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an older house with metal outlet boxes just pigtail a wire from the gfci to a screw in the back of the box. Even if you don't ground it the gfci will protect you but will have the possibility of stray current damaging sensitive electronics. I'm not an electrician, but know a little. You can use a multimeter to check if your outlet box is grounded. If it is just ground the gfci to the box and the ground probe should work fine.

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an older house with metal outlet boxes just pigtail a wire from the gfci to a screw in the back of the box. Even if you don't ground it the gfci will protect you but will have the possibility of stray current damaging sensitive electronics. I'm not an electrician, but know a little. You can use a multimeter to check if your outlet box is grounded. If it is just ground the gfci to the box and the ground probe should work fine.
depends how old the house is. Back in the past boxes were purposely left ungrounded because the thought was , no arc potential, no fire.We know better today. a quick check would be to use a multimeter on continuity/ohms, and see if you have continuity from the box (assuming its metal) to the nearest water pipe.A water pipe needs to be bonded to ground. depending on whats in the box, that may not constitute a legal ground by code. If it something your concerned with consult a local licensed electrician.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt...ohm it out..lol... check some you tube videos. I'm sure you can find several that will show you how to check if it's grounded. But Ubergroover is right better safe than sorry.

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt...ohm it out..lol... check some you tube videos. I'm sure you can find several that will show you how to check if it's grounded. But Ubergroover is right better safe than sorry.
over the past 30 years Ive seen it all...(I am a Massachusetts master electrician and a degree'd engineer). It seems like , since people cannot see electricity in a wire, they think it cannot hurt you. The best advice I can give any one is if you are unsure consult a licensed electrician in your area. Ask you friends somebody always has a buddy .

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay, so as long as the new gfci is grounded to the old metal box (by running a wire from GFCI ground screw to screw in the back of the box or similar attachment), the the ground probe will function as intended?

The GFCI will protect me regardless of whether the GFCI is grounded to the metal box , or not?

Comfirm box is grounded with multimeter?

Is that right?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back