Electrical Question — Broken Apex Aquabus Port

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I did a dumb thing and am wondering if my Eb8 is toast. I only need to use one or two of the aquabus ports, so I don't need to fix this broken port unless it's somehow electrically dangerous. So I'm wondering if I can safely use the unit even though this first aquabus port is damaged / broken?? Or would it be dangerous to use for some reason? Is there a way to make it safer, even if still unusable? Thanks!

20220517_082933.jpg 20220517_082914.jpg

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but I don’t see anything that makes it unsafe to use. Obviously like you already know that port is useless but I don’t think it would harm anything.
Thanks! I'll test it out. I'm not sure if it's even worth attempting to repair since I really don't think I'll ever use all of the ports.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tried it out. As soon as it was connected, my entire system went dark. Unplugged it, and everything came back online. Tried daisy chaining it to two other established eb8 and had the same results both times. Hopefully Neptune can help me fix it!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tried it out. As soon as it was connected, my entire system went dark. Unplugged it, and everything came back online. Tried daisy chaining it to two other established eb8 and had the same results both times. Hopefully Neptune can help me fix it!
Yeah, Neptune support is probably your best bet now.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly doubt there is much they’ll be able to do, but it’s worth asking just in case.
Yeah, I think they do repairs when they can, so I'm thinking they'd add a new port or something. We'll see!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I did a dumb thing and am wondering if my Eb8 is toast. I only need to use one or two of the aquabus ports, so I don't need to fix this broken port unless it's somehow electrically dangerous. So I'm wondering if I can safely use the unit even though this first aquabus port is damaged / broken?? Or would it be dangerous to use for some reason? Is there a way to make it safer, even if still unusable? Thanks!

20220517_082933.jpg 20220517_082914.jpg
If their aquabus wiring is anything like the USB formfactor they're using - you've basically got a bunch of pins grounded out on the metal housing. That plastic/resin tab that busted off keeps them isolated.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If their aquabus wiring is anything like the USB formfactor they're using - you've basically got a bunch of pins grounded out on the metal housing. That plastic/resin tab that busted off keeps them isolated.
This was my concern. Is there a way to insert some sort of little tab, even something DIY? I thought the pins touching the metal plate underneath was bad.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Looks like the two pins below are touching the metal, push them up slightly so that they don't short to the metal

1657819236511.png
piece

If no luck, reach out to @_AV or if you're about to dump it PM me.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_AV Should be able to replace that port for you.
I already sent it into Neptune. They binned it, and gave me a discount on a new one. They said the internals were fried and they no longer carry the replacement pieces because the EB8 is discontinued.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back