Electrical Shock new Anemones likely dead

Denali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Yesterday I received 12 new pieces. I was at work when I noticed UPS delivered so I quickly ran home, unpacked and put them in a plastic tub on top of my tank with some tank water and a cheap AC pump. Went back to work. Got of came home and the anemones are shriveled to the point they almost dont exist. The 2 branching hammers are skeletons with a little color in the middle. Pump is off so i start insoecting and theres bare wires showing where the cord attached to the pump.

They are all in the main tank now on frag racks. Nems are in a eggcrate cage. Should I treat them with anything? This is a $1K worth of coral, huge mistake.

Anyone ever electrocuted their nems?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals usually die very fast in electricity, so they may be toast. I would just leave them in the tank or a qt tank for now with dim lights and good water flow and hope for the best

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with what dedragon said, not a whole lot you can do except treat them with the utmost care and hope. I electrocuted a coral a while back and it managed to survive, but for the most part from what I understand, it's one in a large number of corals that survive shocking. Good luck, I hope that at least some of the animals you got survive.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, no, and I take day off from work to acclimate my new
So Yesterday I received 12 new pieces. I was at work when I noticed UPS delivered so I quickly ran home, unpacked and put them in a plastic tub on top of my tank with some tank water and a cheap AC pump. Went back to work. Got of came home and the anemones are shriveled to the point they almost dont exist. The 2 branching hammers are skeletons with a little color in the middle. Pump is off so i start insoecting and theres bare wires showing where the cord attached to the pump.

They are all in the main tank now on frag racks. Nems are in a eggcrate cage. Should I treat them with anything? This is a $1K worth of coral, huge mistake.

Anyone ever electrocuted their nems?
Yes, never electrocuted myself or my fish, maybe mouse nibbled on your wires to make them bare.. do you own a mouse?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, never electrocuted myself or my fish, maybe mouse nibbled on your wires to make them bare.. do you own a mouse?
If he does and it’s whereabouts was not known we know where to look :)

OP
OP
D

Denali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with what dedragon said, not a whole lot you can do except treat them with the utmost care and hope. I electrocuted a coral a while back and it managed to survive, but for the most part from what I understand, it's one in a large number of corals that survive shocking. Good luck, I hope that at least some of the animals you got survive.
Thanks, I think the 3 blastos and 1 favia might make it. The nems I'm still hopeful. Almost sure the two hammers and 1 zoa are not coming back

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think the 3 blastos and 1 favia might make it. The nems I'm still hopeful. Almost sure the two hammers and 1 zoa are not coming back
Just my opinion, but I'd say keep the zoas just in case. My zoas I shipped in were almost 100% dead and I left them in for 2 weeks and they began to polyp up again. Zoas are insanely hardy but it's good to hear that some stuff made it

OP
OP
D

Denali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't and if I did I would be dropping it into the 14" Dovii's tank after this recent experience.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn’t you put them in the tank when you ran home to get the package? You don’t need to (and really shouldn’t) drip acclimate corals, just float (if the temp is off more than a few degrees, dip (if that’s something you do, and you should), and put in the tank. Drip acclimating is just prolonging the time that they can’t properly respirate. Corals take in and expel water through diffusion, so they are self acclimating. They will open sooner and get comfortable sooner if you just put them in the tank.

OP
OP
D

Denali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn’t you put them in the tank when you ran home to get the package? You don’t need to (and really shouldn’t) drip acclimate corals, just float (if the temp is off more than a few degrees, dip (if that’s something you do, and you should), and put in the tank. Drip acclimating is just prolonging the time that they can’t properly respirate. Corals take in and expel water through diffusion, so they are self acclimating. They will open sooner and get comfortable sooner if you just put them in the tank.
Lack of time, main tank wasn't prepared. In hindsight they would have fared better if I had literally dumped them in. I wanted to get them out of the bags in clean water.

OP
OP
D

Denali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m struggling to see a way that the livestock was earthed, tbh.
My thought also and I never felt electricity. Pump wasn't work I g, pulled it out and found the wires during Inspection. If it wasn't electricity then what? No flow for up to 6 hours? Could that do it?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but I'd say keep the zoas just in case. My zoas I shipped in were almost 100% dead and I left them in for 2 weeks and they began to polyp up again. Zoas are insanely hardy but it's good to hear that some stuff made it
I’ve had Zoe regrow from a blank frag plug. Don’t count them out. They were WWC purple monsters which I’m pretty sure are the twinkies or coral

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I was not aware of that.

reefGoat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought also and I never felt electricity. Pump wasn't work I g, pulled it out and found the wires during Inspection. If it wasn't electricity then what? No flow for up to 6 hours? Could that do it?
Exposed wires can add copper and other metals to the water.

OP
OP
D

Denali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exposed wires can add copper and other metals to the water.
As of the evening, the anemones are a fraction of their arrival size but look much better. Hammers same story but they look like they'll survive. Surprisingly everything looks OK except the favia it is now a stripped skeleton

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back