Elegance Coral Syndrome: Treatment Log

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background
I came home from work today and was treated with my nightmare. One of my favorite coral, the elegance contracted the "Elegance Coral Syndrome". So I'm making this post regarding the treatment that I'll do and the results, fingers crossed, as a reference people who are having the same problem. I have had this elegance coral for around 2 weeks, its been at my LFS for the last month.

So in case you never heard of it Elegance Coral Syndrome or ECS is a "disease" which only elegance coral seem to get. And from what I've heard its pretty much a downhill slope after the signs shows up. At least for me the early sign included inflated oral disk and deflated tentacles in addition its hard to tell but I think their mouths are also open. I'll put this guide in chronological order and update it as I go.

Since know no one has a solid idea of what is the cause of this disease I'm trying an experimental treatment. So this is my attempt that throwing a hypothesis out there.

Observation
  1. Since there are people reporting this disease months or years into keeping them successfully and virtually no specimen in the wild seems to be afflicted, it maybe stress related, especially environment such as flow or light, (all of which a larvae Elegance coral can choose).
  2. Having pretty much the same anatomy as a sea anemone, they seem to be on the surface demonstrate similar behavior when an infection occurs. Inflated oral disk, deflated or "stringy" tentacles. Of these anemone I have had experience successfully treating them with antibiotics. Which to me despite lacking evidence via Koch postulates, greatly supports the idea of an infection of sort.
  3. To further support the infection hypothesis, an experience done early, shows that ECS indeed is contagious. Ill post the link here its a very good read. (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/eb/index.php)
  4. The white mucus secreted by the elegance coral. I believe that there maybe a sort of "pus" for the corals. Secretion to removed waste or infection just like in human.
  5. There seems to be a trend of ECS and light exposure...
Hypothesis

To be clear I'm no marine biologist so my understanding of corals and their immune system is very limited. However, I think I have narrowed it down to two possible hypothesis.

1. Infection: There are 2 main facts supporting this hypothesis, firstly and most compelling is the fact that when an uninfected elegance comes into contact with an infected elegance there seems to be some unseen transfer that cause the uninfected elegance to soon be infected. Secondly, is based on my experience with anemone especially BTA infection. Sadly I don't have any pictures for comparison but if someone told me that their BTA has a very inflated oral disk but stringy tentacles I would immediately point to an infection in my experience. In fact I don't think and have never seen a BTA exhibit similar symptom unless its under infection, and in the early stages of an elegance coral infection similar signs are shown. However, one thing that seems to go against this fact is the fact that sometimes it seems to occur out of nowhere after 6 months or a year or keeping an elegance coral suddenly the sign appears. This could be contributed by from contamination such as water from the LFS when new live stock are added, also how come there are virtually no specimen in the wild that is afflicted with this? If a healthy, well established specimen in a tank with no predator or stress all of the sudden falls victim to the disease how come this does not happen in the wild?

2. Internal Damage: Again this theory has both evidence for both for and against. Firstly, the supporting evidence, I think the strongest evidence comes from the fact that sometime this syndrome seemingly appears out of thin air, which may point to some change causing internal damage. Another is the trend that strong light exposure seems to be associated with this syndrome. Lastly from what I have read elegance coral once was a very hardy coral that all of the sudden over the past few years began to show sign of these syndrome. Many associate this with the fact that only elegance from Indonesia seems to be afflicted. However, I have seen conflicting report regarding this especially in my case because mine is FROM Australia. I think that it might have something to do with the LEDs that has become very widely use in recent years. Since LEDs tend to be more focused and less diffused than T5 and Metal halide, this might prove to be deadly for the elegance coral. If someone has some experience with lights other than and LED and ECS you input would be greatly appreciated!

Treatment Plan

Since I'm not quite sure what is the cause of this issue I'll try a variety of treatment and hopefully one will work.

From my experience with LPS coral my bubble coral once suffered from slow flesh recession and no matter what I dip whether iodine or coral RX nothing worked. It was so bad at one point that more than 50% of the coral was dead. With holes punching through the flesh. As a last resort I dipped it in fresh water for 15 minutes. I'm not gonna lie, but for around a month after that it looks like a decaying mold. But surely enough it recovers and is bigger now.

So I'm going to dip my elegance in fresh water for 10 minutes with iodine added in. Then I'm going to isolate him to into a 40 gallon emergency hospital tank linked to my main display. I've removed the lights in case the cause is due to over exposure to light.

If this doesn't work within a week, I'll move on to a antibiotic cocktail in my QT tank and dose amoxicillin and penicillin.

December 5, 2019
IMG-0853.JPG

The day after I brought the elegance home. Dip acclimate for 1 hour. Placed in the shade. Accept food readily, sticky tentacles. Prior to bringing him home I actually had my eyes on this guy for more than a month. So he's been sitting in my LFS coral tank for the last month or so.

December 8, 2019
Unfortunately I don't have a picture however my blue damsel was nipping at the tentacles so I moved him next to an BTA with 2 tomato clown. I was hoping that since they were very territorial no fish would bother it. And surprisingly I did work. He was open and super happy.

December 11, 2019
Up to this point I had been feeding him a piece of krill every 2 days or so and I noticed this weird brown mass, I assume it was a digested piece of krill. It may very well be but I'm just documenting everything in case someone faces something familiar.

IMG-0864.JPG

December 15, 2019
I don't have pictures here either so you will just have to trust me lol. I was trying to link up my main 200 gallons display tank with my 40 gallons soon to be seahorse tank. So there was a change in salinity from 1.22 to 1.23. And also an increase in light where the elegance was since I accidentally forgot to move my LED back into place. Although I was not a huge increase I think it might be worth mentioning.

December 16, 2019
I came home from work around 12:30 pm and I saw my elegance displaying a classic signs of the disease. Inflated oral disk and shrunken tentacles, however I would mention that the tentacles remain sticky.

IMG-0867.JPG
IMG-0868.JPG

I wasn't sure did someone disturbed it or something so I sat there and watch for an hour. I saw that it went through a cycle of tentacle inflation halfway before deflating and looking like that again. I left it alone until 4 hoping that it would get better, I even moved the lights back to their normal position. However, there was no change. The oral disk was inflated and had a really tight water balloon consistency. I know this might be controversial but not being a person who likes to wait I decided to treat it.

After the fresh water dip I noticed a few arthropod that had fallen off the elegance coral
IMG-0873.JPG

And here is the Elegance in its new temporary home one hour after the dip. There were white mucus secreted during the first 20 minutes but that has seem to calm down and the elegance seems to reopen a bit.
IMG-0875.JPG

I'll keep updating this post daily or more often if I have time as future references. If anyone have any comments or advice please post! If not for me then as future references!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new one a few years ago to add to the two I already had, it let go and took the other two out over a period of two months, best of luck to you and nice write up. :)

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 17, 2019

Ok so I took a picture in the morning and the tentacles was very retracted and a lot of white slime was expelled.
7DA11C23-1174-4A6A-8EAA-1916B9DA29EB.jpeg
944A4E8F-E2AB-493F-A992-4A5EDE529E61.jpeg

But he does look a lot better in the evening. With his oral disk expanded once more and the tentacles, at least to me, looks a lot less shriveled up.
43B65161-E49E-4C26-AF64-2638E4E42506.jpeg

December 18, 2019

Today I think he looks a lot better tentacles are sticky once more. And also looks slightly more inflated than before the treatment. He is still without any light for 2 days now.

C68AF32D-21DB-4440-94C7-3029D17480EF.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, watch the disc for that slime, I saw that on each of mine as they let go, looking better.

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, watch the disc for that slime, I saw that on each of mine as they let go, looking better.

Yeah there was a whole bunch yesterday. But today it’s looking a lot better no more slime. Crossing my finger it stays that way... :)

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 19, 2019
8D97D586-7FD7-4C40-9E80-8318FCA7E21C.jpeg

Looks slightly shriveled up today... hopefully he’ll be fine...

December 20, 2019
B5C874DC-E40B-488F-A2F5-23F14CEC8DF2.jpeg

Fed him some LPS pellets today. Took it up very well!

December 21, 2019
8FD18992-4048-4A7D-A34A-5899A2A4B03F.jpeg

Looks nice and plump again! :) Hopefully he’ll stay this way this time. I’ll now try to add a dim T5 light over the QT tank and see how does he react. Will update in a few day.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever try cipro anemone protocol with these guys?

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever try cipro anemone protocol with these guys?

I was thinking of doing a cipro and amoxicillin treatment if the freshwater dip was not successful lol. But I didn’t see anyone write about it here on the forum.

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I read somewhere else on this forum about FW dipping elegance with ECS......Was a well documented thread.

Yeah I actually did my procedure based on theirs. And I think it actually works for them as well. Though they stopped updating it after a while. So FW dip may actually be a viable way to deal with ECS.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank parameters?
What lighting are you running on your display?
What amount/dose of iodine did you use in the freshwater dip?
What were the parameters of the freshwater dip?

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank parameters?
What lighting are you running on your display?
What amount/dose of iodine did you use in the freshwater dip?
What were the parameters of the freshwater dip?
[/QUOTE]

Parameter
200 gallon tank. 325 gallon system
Salinity: 1.023
pH: 8.4
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Phosphate: 0.10 ppm
Calcium: 410 ppm
Temp: 78.9 F

Lighting
Main Display
3 GHL Mithras 7206

QT tank
A transhy T5 light from like 8 years ago

Treatment Dose
Unfortunately I don’t have the exact concentration but I used 2L of freshwater from my planted freshwater system. And 5 mL of Reef Dip from Seachem. Left him in there for 10 minutes. Moved to QT tank without light.

Freshwater Parameter
pH: 7.8
Nitrate:0
Phosphate:>0.1
Temperature: 78 F

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 1st, 2019
It’s been 2 weeks since the treatment and I think this is going to be my last update now for now.
028750EE-E85D-40BB-A4B4-D6E2DD7E8449.jpeg
2839F13C-F961-4EA2-A4F7-C331A55134D5.jpeg

I moved him back into the display and he is doing great! He is eating and opening up like normal again. There was a few days around 5 days ago that he looked really shriveled up. But that my have just been my azure damsel picking that him.

Salacious Crumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I have one of these, Hope I never have to deal with what you did.

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 1st, 2019
It’s been 2 weeks since the treatment and I think this is going to be my last update now for now.
028750EE-E85D-40BB-A4B4-D6E2DD7E8449.jpeg
2839F13C-F961-4EA2-A4F7-C331A55134D5.jpeg

I moved him back into the display and he is doing great! He is eating and opening up like normal again. There was a few days around 5 days ago that he looked really shriveled up. But that my have just been my azure damsel picking that him.

How is it looking these days? I'm going through the same thing, trying to decide how to proceed

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it looking these days? I'm going through the same thing, trying to decide how to proceed
Its actually doing great!

Somethings that I learned though is that...

1. after treatment it’ll look really bad for a few days, like goopy bad, just don’t give up on it.

2. Light seems to be a factor in this disease cuz, especially strong light, right now Im keeping in literally in a cave, at least for mine, light makes him really unhappy. So like keep yours in the dark in isolation maybe for a few days before deciding on the treatment, that might help it recover. FW dip is a dangerous procedure.

good luck!

here is a picture of mine now
16276A9F-571A-4902-9872-AED8D0B1898D.jpeg

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its actually doing great!

Somethings that I learned though is that...

1. after treatment it’ll look really bad for a few days, like goopy bad, just don’t give up on it.

2. Light seems to be a factor in this disease cuz, especially strong light, right now Im keeping in literally in a cave, at least for mine, light makes him really unhappy. So like keep yours in the dark in isolation maybe for a few days before deciding on the treatment, that might help it recover. FW dip is a dangerous procedure.

good luck!

here is a picture of mine now
16276A9F-571A-4902-9872-AED8D0B1898D.jpeg
Thank you for replying! I'm trying very hard to take time to make a decision, but I also dont want to wait too long, or lose it. It was doing great, gorgeous and beautiful, and it made me happy. And now it is so disappointing to see it so ... unhealthy. I want to "leave it alone" but I have a hard time not trying to fix things. I'm thinking about an iodine dip first, or in conjunction with a freshwater dip. I'm almost paralyzed by the not-knowing what to do. :(

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for replying! I'm trying very hard to take time to make a decision, but I also dont want to wait too long, or lose it. It was doing great, gorgeous and beautiful, and it made me happy. And now it is so disappointing to see it so ... unhealthy. I want to "leave it alone" but I have a hard time not trying to fix things. I'm thinking about an iodine dip first, or in conjunction with a freshwater dip. I'm almost paralyzed by the not-knowing what to do. :(

Yeah I feel ya! That’s this hobby lol, the terrible sinking feeling of desperation and hopelessness. :( But don’t give up!

What is yours doing? Try putting him in a shade? How long have you had him?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back