Elegance in “Mother Natures” Natural Reefing Skills

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

while research papers can get difficult to navigate, after 50 years of Reefing, I know quite a bit about Homeostasis.

In 1971 at Texas Maritime Academy, I took Chemical Oceanoraphy as a technical elective. At that time, Dynamic Equilibrium, explained one part of Homeostasis in our reef tanks: gas exchange between athmospheric gases, mainly nitrogen, carbon dioxide and oxygen, and ocean waters provide carbon dosing and nitrogen enrichment.

Lets park here:
1. Natures way to carbon dose uses the solubility of carbon dioxide in water to provide carbonate alkalinity to algae that when combined with photosynthesis produces glucose, which is carbon for the reef. @Dana Riddle said it this way, “Photosynthesis combines the inorganic with the organic works.

2. Nitrogen enrichment uses cynobacteria to convert free nitrogen gas molecules in the water into ammonia that is assimilated into their biomas. For this reason, when you starve your system for nitrogen, you open the door for opportunistic nuisance species as you reduce completion for other nutrients by limiting nitrogen to those that require inorganic nitrogen in bulk wate

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should better define my use of “elegance” as “effortless beauty” which is how nature operates. Because nature is efficient with its use of energy & nutrients, when things are balanced in homeostasis the intricate details are never known.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the ocean, nobody is dosing nopox and chemiclean nor whenever a coral dies, the ocean dosent do a water change nor does it raise calcium and alkalinity

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the ocean, nobody is dosing nopox and chemiclean nor whenever a coral dies, the ocean dosent do a water change nor does it raise calcium and alkalinity

The ocean does balance calcium with calcium solubility in limestone sediments and alkalinity with carbon dioxide solubility between athmosphere and water. It’s called “Dynamic Equilibrium”

Did you not read the link on nitrogen fixation.

What fixes nitrogen in the ocean?

Image result for nitrogen fixation in ocean

Nitrogen gas is the most abundant form of nitrogen in the ocean, but is not useful to most living things. Dissolved nitrogen gas is taken up by just a few types microbes, which convert the nitrogen into a much more useable form, known as ammonium (NH4+). This process, known as “nitrogen fixation,” is vitally

Kennya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ocean does balance calcium with calcium solubility in limestone sediments and alkalinity with carbon dioxide solubility between athmosphere and water. It’s called “Dynamic Equilibrium”

Nitrogen gas is the most abundant form of nitrogen in the ocean, but is not useful to most living things. Dissolved nitrogen gas is taken up by just a few types microbes, which convert the nitrogen into a much more useable form, known as ammonium (NH4+). This process, known as “nitrogen fixation,” is vitally

Wow, think my brain went into overload with this. Guess it explains why there are threads on here suggesting that it may be better to dose ammonia/ ammonium to a tank rather than e.g. sodium nitrate. Thanks for sharing this.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i agree, i was trying to imply that the ocean dosent have a giant bucket of kalkwasser and hanna tests that they use every day

Kennya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea
Interesting, makes sense. Chaetogro for trace elements and ammonia as the nitrogen source?
What about phosphorus or is this generally in abundance in your systems?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree, i was trying to imply that the ocean dosent have a giant bucket of kalkwasser and hanna tests that they use every day

Noah,
My bad to misunderstand your indent. Thank you for joining in. And you are right, I have not tested in > 20 yrs.

At the risk of being a “disciple of the obvious”, it’s more than implied. ”Dynamic Eqilibrium“ is a principle of science. It’s foundational in Chemical Oceanorgraph.

Alkalinity and mineral balance are maintained using limestone sediments in the ocean and carbon dioxide concentration in the athmosphere.

carbon dosing is accomplished using carbon dioxide in atmosphere to buffer water with alkalinity that when coupled with photosynthesis produces glucose, which is carbon for the reef.

Amino acids are produced when bacteria act on proteins. With 20 types of amino acids, about 1/3 are from plant proteins and 2/3 are derived from animal protein.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient recycling is a complex process. For me, it intrigues me to see how does nature do it. After observing the Coral Holibiont for 50 yrs, I see how nature does it, yet I don’t know the scientific details on how bacteria communicate & cooperate using gene expression.

Instead of trying to explain the science, I would like to illustrate some of the processes.

Nutrient recycling using macroalga. Becaus I can’t keep desirable macro in display with Hippo, when I prune & remove green caulerpa & red grapes from seaweed mixed garden lagoon, it is nutrient export but it would be nutrient recycling if fish in same tank eat it.

In #1 picture, macro from 40G lagoon is added to 75G display for Hippo Tang.

In #2 picture is a different type of nutrient recycling with ornamental Red Tree Sponge which filters out microbes of bacteria & micro inverts into sponge biomass. Algae Blennie, Flame Angel and Tangs graze on tree sponge.

#3, 4, 5 picture shows 40G cryptic refugium on 120G display of 4 yr mature tank.

Attachments

• 45D9BB36-30A7-43BF-88BC-E3D4CE067075.jpeg
    45D9BB36-30A7-43BF-88BC-E3D4CE067075.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 0D3F4CC4-7E8E-4099-AF6D-054F53E962B2.jpeg
    0D3F4CC4-7E8E-4099-AF6D-054F53E962B2.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 25

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back