Elevated Nickel and Copper in latest ATI ICP-OES Test

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest ATI ICP-OES analysis for my 40 gallon tank is showing elevated levels of Nickel and Copper, not so high as to be toxic yet, but enough to have me a little concerned. I'm wanting to see if I can determine the source so I can address the issue before it becomes a problem. My RODI testing shows neither of these chemicals in my source water, so I can rule that out. My first guess is that I recently dosed several rounds of BRS Liquid Magnesium to get my magnesium levels back in line. (I increased it from ~1100ppm to ~1350 ppm over 5 days, dosing ~200 mL each day.) It definitely raised the salinity of the system, but I'm also wondering if there were maybe some impurities in the mix (namely Nickel and Copper) that would have caused them to show up in this latest ICP test. If that's the case then I can probably just let these come down over time with regular water changes. If that's not the case (or not even possible), my only other guess is I have equipment leaching metals into the tank (wavemaker, return pump or skimmer pump). Does anyone have any experience with these elevated metals in their tanks and likely sources? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not home at the moment so I don't have access to the ATI report, but if I remember correctly it was something like 13 ug/L for Nickel and maybe 3 ug/L for Copper? I will double-check when I get home this evening and post the actual values.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not home at the moment so I don't have access to the ATI report, but if I remember correctly it was something like 13 ug/L for Nickel and maybe 3 ug/L for Copper? I will double-check when I get home this evening and post the actual values.

Let's see the values before worrying, IMO. 3 ug/L copper is not likely any concern.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! The Copper level was actually lower than I thought at 1.44 ug/L and Nickel is 13.46 ug/L.

Long before hobby ICP became a thing, I carefully measured copper in my tank with an ICP at work to be in the 10-15 ug/L range and I did not detect any problems from it in the tank.

I also would not be convinced that nickel is high enough to be any issue.

I think its a fine plan to be sure you do not have metal parts in the water (hose clamps, etc.) but I would not agonize over these levels unless the tank appears to be suffering. I'd be surprised if the magnesium supplement had enough of these to cause the detected levels, but , of course, I do not know for sure. That 250 ppm is a pretty big rise, and the potential for impurities is exactly why I recommend spreading out large calcium and magnesium boosts over at least a few days (ions such as copper as less toxic once bound to organic matter, which they won't be when first added, but soon will be in the tank water).

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long before hobby ICP became a thing, I carefully measured copper in my tank with an ICP at work to be in the 10-15 ug/L range and I did not detect any problems from it in the tank.

I also would not be convinced that nickel is high enough to be any issue.

I think its a fine plan to be sure you do not have metal parts in the water (hose clamps, etc.) but I would not agonize over these levels unless the tank appears to be suffering. I'd be surprised if the magnesium supplement had enough of these to cause the detected levels, but , of course, I do not know for sure. That 250 ppm is a pretty big rise, and the potential for impurities is exactly why I recommend spreading out large calcium and magnesium boosts over at least a few days (ions such as copper as less toxic once bound to organic matter, which they won't be when first added, but soon will be in the tank water).
Thanks so much for the detailed response! I just wanted to make sure this wasn't something I needed to track down before it becomes an issue. I will probably still double-check my pumps/equipment since most of it is several years old now, but I'm glad to hear these levels aren't too concerning. Thanks again Randy!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back