EliMelly’s 350 G2 Build

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so interesting as that’s a tang that’s listed for 75 gallons and under.
Well you need to deduct about 20 gallons off your tanks total volume to account for rocks and equipment in the sump plus sumps are only filled about 2/3 of their volume so my 80g system is only 60g . Tank shape is also a factor. A long shallow tank is better then a square tank so tangs can swim more horizontal. Some people are successful with undersized tanks and often show it on here but I bet a far greater number are unsuccessful but they are not going to post their failures for everyone to see. As hobbyists we have a duty to provide the best care we can for our aquatic animals.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you need to deduct about 20 gallons off your tanks total volume to account for rocks and equipment in the sump plus sumps are only filled about 2/3 of their volume so my 80g system is only 60g . Tank shape is also a factor. A long shallow tank is better then a square tank so tangs can swim more horizontal. Some people are successful with undersized tanks and often show it on here but I bet a far greater number are unsuccessful but they are not going to post their failures for everyone to see. As hobbyists we have a duty to provide the best care we can for our aquatic animals.
Definitely agree! I don’t know if @vetteguy53081 will have the time to explain but I wanted to sum up what I made out of the conversation with him.

A 4 ft 90 gallon can hold 4 tangs and possibly 5 if water quality is exceptional, in his 135 gallon he successfully kept 19 tangs. It comes down to the order in which you introduce the tangs, water quality, and feeding a variety of top foods. His advice to me was to add all of my fish then first add in the gem tang, followed by the yellow tang and white tail at the same time, and lastly a yellow bellied hippo tang. Possibly a purple as the final tang after the tank is doing very well due to their high level of aggression.

Again, this is not verbatim but rather what I took from the conversation. I definitely will follow this and update the thread so we can all see how it goes. Eventually I do plan on upgrading anyhow. dang this tang stuff is a hot topic!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Definitely agree! I don’t know if @vetteguy53081 will have the time to explain but I wanted to sum up what I made out of the conversation with him.

A 4 ft 90 gallon can hold 4 tangs and possibly 5 if water quality is exceptional, in his 135 gallon he successfully kept 19 tangs. It comes down to the order in which you introduce the tangs, water quality, and feeding a variety of top foods. His advice to me was to add all of my fish then first add in the gem tang, followed by the yellow tang and white tail at the same time, and lastly a yellow bellied hippo tang. Possibly a purple as the final tang after the tank is doing very well due to their high level of aggression.

Again, this is not verbatim but rather what I took from the conversation. I definitely will follow this and update the thread so we can all see how it goes. Eventually I do plan on upgrading anyhow. dang this tang stuff is a hot topic!
I will add, It is NOT what I recommend and while not impossible is Not for the inexperienced. This 135g included calcium reactor, water change station with AWC and CA reactor with occasional dosing.
Adding slowly is key and weeding out any aggressors along the way . Tang will be the last group added in order of low aggression and when tank is quite mature.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add, It is NOT what I recommend and while not impossible is Not for the inexperienced. This 135g included calcium reactor, water change station with AWC and CA reactor with occasional dosing.
Adding slowly is key and weeding out any aggressors along the way . Tang will be the last group added in order of low aggression and when tank is quite mature.
Agreed!

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification! Would you suggest I add a CA reactor to my set up? I already have the new Red Sea auto top off that I will be utilizing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the clarification! Would you suggest I add a CA reactor to my set up? I already have the new Red Sea auto top off that I will be utilizing.
Only if you have a noticeable consumption by coral and find yourself dosing often manually to keep up with intake

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This however is one factor, and you would still need to contribute all the others and then still cross your fingers to have your tangs in mind. If you are certain you WILL upgrade in 2 years, it would be better for you and the fish to wait off until you get that tank for all your tangs.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While I agree with him 99% of the time and trust his experience level, I will disagree with 4 tangs in a small 4 foot tank. Maybe for a short period of time as very small fish but from my experience no way. Please keep in mind you don't have a 90g system. You have maybe 70g or less volume with rs350.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This however is one factor, and you would still need to contribute all the others and then still cross your fingers to have your tangs in mind. If you are certain you WILL upgrade in 2 years, it would be better for you and the fish to wait off until you get that tank for all your tangs.
I’m a risk taker, currently on the way to putting a down payment for an apartment complex so the goal is to build a dream tank there :)

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree with him 99% of the time and trust his experience level, I will disagree with 4 tangs in a small 4 foot tank. Maybe for a short period of time as very small fish but from my experience no way. Please keep in mind you don't have a 90g system. You have maybe 70g or less volume with rs350.
I’m attempting to buy them as juveniles with the exception of the gem. There will be an upgrade with time. If it’s really not working out I will rehome or buy another tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the plan, going to cure it in a brute can, start curing the dry rock in the display, and when the pump arrives start the cycle with fritz turbo start.
Just make sure to get an ammonia source too which is needed to cycle the tank fishless with turbo start although your live rock will also help cycle the tank easily as long as ammonia source is present.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back