Elite 220-INT 9" Super Cone Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus vs Bubble King Double Cone 200

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please give the main differences between these two skimmers? Also volume the cup holds for each and main chamber diameter on the BK (your site says 9" on the RO but doesn't say exactly on the BK).
PM me if needed.
Thank you,
Todd

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @TexasTodd,
The biggest difference here is brand as both skimmers can handle a similarly sized tank. Both the Reef Octopus Elite and Bubble King feature DC pumps with a similar body design. The Elite does have an automatic shut off float switch in the collection cup that is certainly a plus.

I wasn't able to find the volumes of the collection cups or specs on the Bubble King's neck diameter, so I'll reach out to each brand to see if they can provide that info.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard back from Royal Exclusiv and the answer is that the skimmer cup will hold approx 3/4 gallon of skimmate. They did let us know that is a rough estimate as it's not a spec that they usually are asked for. The main body is roughly 200 mm in diameter or just about 8".

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Hopefully you'll hear on the RO cup.

The folks over at CoralVue (distributor for Reef Octopus) think that the 220 can hold a max of 2-3 cups. Again, not a spec that they usually are asked for, so it's an estimate. I'll be honest, 2-3 cups is a pretty small volume, so they may estimating conservatively. I would assume that it would hold more, but unfortunately I don't have one that I can test it out on to know with 100% certainty.

OP
OP
T

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, that seems way off. Randy can test? To me the cup volume does matter especially if there is a shut-off switch like RO has. Thanks for the reply. BK is roughly 12 cups in comparison....

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can double check with our testing team tomorrow, but I don't think we have an open one to test. These are sealed, so unfortunately, I can't pull one from inventory to measure.

Seame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe tell RO they're about to lose a sale to BK because they don't know their product.... LOL
Hi , I have an RO 220 Elite and was curious so I just measured. It holds 9 cups. I have been using a larger container anyways to collect the skimmate in case I am away or for some reason it's skimming wet, but 9 cups is not bad. My tank is 265g and I have had this skimmer for just over 2 Years now and very happy with it.

Seame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of mine i have to clean it about every 3 days as it gets a thick amount of skim on the sides of the cup.

20200925_183725.jpg

Seame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I have not adjusted it for months, mind you when I first got it I was tweeking it and had to turn the dial down to 3 or 4 I guess as it was breaking in. I run it full level 5 now, and my tank is getting pretty heavy with fish load.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back