ELOS 160XL 200G Italian Dream Build

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I've been dreaming of owning an ELOS aquarium ever since I saw the 160XL at the original World Wide Corals store in Orlando. I've had a reef tank on and off since 2003, but this is my first build thread here. The stars have magically aligned, and I've finally been able to have an ELOS at home. Francois from ELOS America made the journey to Florida to deliver and setup the tank. He suggested that we do an Italian build with reef equipment from Italy. The equipment will include:
  • (2) GNC BluRay Pro LED lights and light mounting bar
  • Sicce return pump and powerheads
  • Ultra Reef UKS-200 protein skimmer
  • Luna custom sump, bottom floor tray and top off reservoir
  • Top Lids custom aquarium lid
The tank is their Diamond Series that is 98% clear. I've always felt that ELOS is the Ferrari of aquariums. The quality and clarity just has to be seen in person to appreciate it. The tank dimensions are 63"L x 31.5"D x 23.6"T. It has the QuietDrain overflow system with a super small footprint in the tank. Many of the overflow pieces come apart easily to service. It also has a return near the bottom of the overflow that you can place behind the rock work to help with dead spots. The stand has a frame with every panel being removable. This will be a life saver when the floor tray is ready to be installed.

I work as the videographer over at World Wide Corals so there will be a build series on their YouTube coming up. I haven't decided exactly what corals will go in the tank, but everything will be from WWC. I'm definitely open to suggestions if I should do a SPS dominant reef, mixed reef, etc.

Episode 1

Elos_1.jpg

Elos_2.2.jpg

ELOS_3.3.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!! Another ELOS fanboy here… great start with a dream build!! I am immediately envious of all the space you’re going to have

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really beautiful, it looks like it is designed to be a peninsula setting?
Thanks! Yes you can set it up as a peninsula if you order the stand with the back panels. For this setup, we are leaving the back of the stand open. I'm going to vinyl the back of the tank so you don't see the wall.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!! Another ELOS fanboy here… great start with a dream build!! I am immediately envious of all the space you’re going to have
ELOS fans unite! I just subbed to your build, and what an awesome tank. Seriously amazing work on the aquascape and corals!

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best parts is seeing what's inside the crate!

318D0DEB-5AAE-4E10-B2BC-7180966F162B.JPG

The stand was a lot easier to assemble than I thought. Here is Francois from ELOS America and my friend Reza about to put the tank on the stand.

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would be my pleasure, just tag me when the time comes.

Do these come with plumbing or a sump?
Sounds good!

The overflow system is complete with plumbing inside, including a return that you can use to go in the back of the tank to eliminate dead zones behind your aquascape. That lower return pipe also doesn't drain your tank into your sump (it's some kind of secret magic). You have to supply or discuss with ELOS what you want to do for a sump and plumbing underneath. I'm having a custom sump built by Luna for this build.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, neat. I've never seen those lights before. How are they compared to the Radion G5, Coral Care 2, etc?
I saw the Italian made GNC lights at Reef-A-Palooza, and I'm interested to see how they perform on this tank. They have 588 LEDs in each fixture, but only consume 130W max. Also, no fan so they are completely silent. I'll report back once we get some corals in the tank.

Oh and a small mistake on my part, that light mount is just called the Bridge for the BluRay Pro lights...the S is for the smaller light they make.

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a closer look at the ELOS QuietDrain overflow. I really love the super small footprint since it's hardly noticeable.

r2r_1.jpg

The front guard comes off for easy cleaning. I might order another one to have on hand to quickly swap it.

r2r_2.jpg

You can tune the drain here as well as if you want more bias toward the top or bottom return lines.

r2r_4.jpg

Yes that's right. There is a bottom return line that you can setup (or cap off) to direct flow behind your aquascape. AND when the return pump is off, the entire tank does NOT drain into the sump...it's magic according to Francois.

r2r_3.jpg

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome I myself have a Elos 160 love it. Can I ask you to see what the stand looks like with out the panels?
thanks
Great to hear from another ELOS owner. I think they recently changed the stand to this design. There is a thin pvc layer that is added to the top of the stand to keep the tank from getting scratched.

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 3.59.57 PM.png

Back