ELOS 160XL 200G Italian Dream Build

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful , i also have the Elos 160 XL.
You're going to baby that thing.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just say the build quality of this skimmer is incredible. This is another fine item from Italy. Scott over at Aquarium Specialty got us the Ultra Reef UKS-200 protein skimmer. This is the best quality skimmer I have ever used. It feels like a tank. The UKS series is their Ultra Compact Skimmer which takes up less space in the sump, and it completely comes apart for servicing. It has a Sicce PSK 1200+ pump that only consumes 28W. I can't want to get it installed and see it the sump when it arrives.

skimmer_3.jpg

skimmer_2.jpg

skimmer_1.jpg

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef tank was back in 2003, and we used vinegar to clean pumps back then. I can't wait to use Sicce's Pump Clean. Has anyone tried it?

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef tank was back in 2003, and we used vinegar to clean pumps back then. I can't wait to use Sicce's Pump Clean. Has anyone tried it?
My guess is Pump clean is citric acid, which is fantastic for cleaning deposits. Much better than vinegar IMO

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. How often do you clean your pumps?
It varies depending on water parameters and supplements but typically twice a year. 4x per year would probably be right but I’m not that disciplined. different tanks precipitate deposits at different rates.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies depending on water parameters and supplements but typically twice a year. 4x per year would probably be right but I’m not that disciplined. different tanks precipitate deposits at different rates.
I’m going to try for 4x a year, and I’ll keep you posted in this thread. Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I found it wasn't quite as effective as EzeClean in removing things like encrusted corraline algae, but it's also significantly less money than EzeClean. So I'll be keeping a small stash of EzeClean for smaller things like my in-tank powerheads, nozzles and such and using the Sicce Pump Clean for anything in my sump, ie: skimmers, reactors and return pumps.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I found it wasn't quite as effective as EzeClean in removing things like encrusted corraline algae, but it's also significantly less money than EzeClean. So I'll be keeping a small stash of EzeClean for smaller things like my in-tank powerheads, nozzles and such and using the Sicce Pump Clean for anything in my sump, ie: skimmers, reactors and return pumps.
There are a lot of reports of vinegar damaging pumps. I used it for years without trouble, but manufacturers recommend against it too.
you can buy food grade citric acid powder for way cheaper than the aquarium branded stuff.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of reports of vinegar damaging pumps. I used it for years without trouble, but manufacturers recommend against it too.
you can buy food grade citric acid powder for way cheaper than the aquarium branded stuff.
That's why I don't use vinegar on anything other than my cleaning tools and testing vials.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the Sicce Pump Clean and see how it goes.

I read that vinegar can cause the magnets to swell. Most of the reports were from people leaving it in a bucket with straight vinegar overnight and not diluting it with RODI water.

That's why I don't use vinegar on anything other than my cleaning tools and testing vials.
I feel more people need to talk about this. I learned about Sicce pump clean at Reef-A-Palooza, and had no idea that vinegar was that bad.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so jealous right now. Your tank setup looks great. I can’t wait to see how it turns out. You are right, that skimmer is a tank for sure.
Hey you are in SC so you can visit ELOS America! And yeah the skimmer quality really shocked me. I almost don't want to get it wet because it's so nice lol. Thanks again for the kind words, and I'll do my best to make a nice reef inside the tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back