ELOS 160XL 200G Italian Dream Build

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that skimmer is nice. I’m really in trouble, as I’m always at Aquarium Speciality who is the distributor for that skimmer. I see one in my future for sure. Yes the Elos aquariums are a work of art even when empty. Please keep the updates coming.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that skimmer is nice. I’m really in trouble, as I’m always at Aquarium Speciality who is the distributor for that skimmer. I see one in my future for sure. Yes the Elos aquariums are a work of art even when empty. Please keep the updates coming.
It's a small world for sure. The skimmer did come from Scott over at Aquarium Specialty.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is in from Cuban Reefer via Julian Sprung. I'm also excited to try out the ELOS salt mix as well!!!

elos salt.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a closer look at the ELOS QuietDrain overflow. I really love the super small footprint since it's hardly noticeable.

r2r_1.jpg

The front guard comes off for easy cleaning. I might order another one to have on hand to quickly swap it.

r2r_2.jpg

You can tune the drain here as well as if you want more bias toward the top or bottom return lines.

r2r_4.jpg

Yes that's right. There is a bottom return line that you can setup (or cap off) to direct flow behind your aquascape. AND when the return pump is off, the entire tank does NOT drain into the sump...it's magic according to Francois.

r2r_3.jpg

I am interested to hear about the magic for the return pipe. Guess there is a non return valve in the piping system?

Great tank. Following for more updates.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested to hear about the magic for the return pipe. Guess there is a non return valve in the piping system?

Great tank. Following for more updates.
Thanks for following! Yes I think you are right. There is some kind of syphon break so the entire tank doesn't empty when the pump is turned off. More updates coming soon!

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I've been dreaming of owning an ELOS aquarium ever since I saw the 160XL at the original World Wide Corals store in Orlando. I've had a reef tank on and off since 2003, but this is my first build thread here. The stars have magically aligned, and I've finally been able to have an ELOS at home. Francois from ELOS America made the journey to Florida to deliver and setup the tank. He suggested that we do an Italian build with reef equipment from Italy. The equipment will include:
  • (2) GNC BluRay Pro LED lights and light mounting bar
  • Sicce return pump and powerheads
  • Ultra Reef UKS-200 protein skimmer
  • Luna custom sump, bottom floor tray and top off reservoir
  • Top Lids custom aquarium lid
The tank is their Diamond Series that is 98% clear. I've always felt that ELOS is the Ferrari of aquariums. The quality and clarity just has to be seen in person to appreciate it. The tank dimensions are 63"L x 31.5"D x 23.6"T. It has the QuietDrain overflow system with a super small footprint in the tank. Many of the overflow pieces come apart easily to service. It also has a return near the bottom of the overflow that you can place behind the rock work to help with dead spots. The stand has a frame with every panel being removable. This will be a life saver when the floor tray is ready to be installed.

I work as the videographer over at World Wide Corals so there will be a build series on their YouTube coming up. I haven't decided exactly what corals will go in the tank, but everything will be from WWC. I'm definitely open to suggestions if I should do a SPS dominant reef, mixed reef, etc.

Elos_1.jpg

Elos_2.2.jpg

ELOS_3.3.jpg
Looks great so far

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following! Yes I think you are right. There is some kind of syphon break so the entire tank doesn't empty when the pump is turned off. More updates coming soon!
I’ve decided the Elos 160XL is my dream tank. I cannot pursue that dream right now so I live vicariously through you. Keep them coming.

Last edited:

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@trmnl5 very cool tank and very nice pictures! Looking forward to following along, can't wait to check out the videos on WWC.

I hope you don't mind me asking, and I hope this comes off as the honest and well intentioned question that it is: are you getting any of the gear or products you're discussing in this thread for free from the manufacturers? If so, that's way cool and I'm happy that it's helping you setup a dream reef tank, but I think it's reasonable to know these sort of things when following along and reading your experiences with the products. If you're not, these guys need to totally hook you up! Some great publicity here so far.

OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
trmnl5

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@trmnl5 very cool tank and very nice pictures! Looking forward to following along, can't wait to check out the videos on WWC.

I hope you don't mind me asking, and I hope this comes off as the honest and well intentioned question that it is: are you getting any of the gear or products you're discussing in this thread for free from the manufacturers? If so, that's way cool and I'm happy that it's helping you setup a dream reef tank, but I think it's reasonable to know these sort of things when following along and reading your experiences with the products. If you're not, these guys need to totally hook you up! Some great publicity here so far.
Thanks so much. Yes, some of the gear is discounted or sponsored.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back