ELOS NEW way of dosing "using weight" to "self-verify" exact dosing amounts of trace elements for your reef tank?

What do you think of the idea of "using weight" to verify exact dosing amounts of trace elements?

• I Like It

Votes: 72 42.9%
  • Don't Like It

Votes: 29 17.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 64 38.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you are right in one way but the big thing is human error ... not everybody Measure liquid the same way though

People could stop pouring at under the line, on line or above the line.. people have their own version of whatever the measurement is... weigh the product eliminate the guess-work
You are comparing manual dosing to controlled dosing here. My dosing pump that does not use weight whatsoever, delivers consistent volume of my dosing liquid. It cant read over or under the line. Over a long period of time, the tubing can wear out and lead to a slight change in output (2% change in a year is typical). A dosing pump does not have those sorts of human error and there are a plethora of options already available for that.

The only novel thing here is that the dosing containers are weighed. That does not make this more accurate whatsoever because if my dosing pump delivers 1.2ml, that will weigh 1.2g no matter what. If this device delivers 1.2ml, but measured incorrectly at 1.1g, it will end up inaccurately dosing an extra 0.1ml more than it should because the weight had an error. Even though they say this will alleviate the need for calibration (which is minimal anyway, about 2% per year on a quality pump), they just added an extra failure point that can actually make the entire system less accurate.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weight should be more accurate than volume which can be impacted by how it's compacted. However, latter less effort although the mention of using it for salt is worth the effort and in the long run less effort. Something I should consider next time. Doubt my cups are ever exactly the same and I use a leveling knife to get it somewhat right .

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That line about never calibrating so what your never going to calibrate this thing and u think it’s going to keep its accuracy.

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since weight involves gravity, which is variable depending on geography, I think this product is bogus. Mass would be a better way to measure the quantities. If they don't get the basic scientific concepts, it is probably just snake oil.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since weight involves gravity, which is variable depending on geography, I think this product is bogus. Mass would be a better way to measure the quantities. If they don't get the basic scientific concepts, it is probably just snake oil.
Weight and mass are equal on the planet ...gravity does not change by any appreciable level based on geography (0.2% difference between sea level and mt everest base camp). I don't think the intended use of this device is interplanetary or on a space station.

Last edited:

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say definetly weigh for powders, crystal etc as it will be far more accurate. As for fluids, measuring imo is fine as long as you use a beaker etc with graduations.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a total gimmick to me.
No one has (or needs to have) a super precise trace element dosing scheme because no one has(or needs to have) a super precise target for trace element concentrations.

recommendations vary a lot, by more than a factor 10, even more than 100 in some cases. Testing also has substantial uncertainty.

Is it important to dose iron from 1.00 ppb to 10.00 ppb, rather than to 9 or 11 ppb?

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not part of the "no water change" crowd, so dosing trace elements isn't part of my setup, and I can't comment on that part. I could see some potential benefit if this was for two part.
Also, the cost of the unit would be a factor into any gains made using the system versus equipment already available.

MMcKenna1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see this being practical at all over time. Bigger factors if you really wanted to be critical of trace elements would be the solution potency of each element, (do you really know it?), and then monitoring actual consumption over time through high accuracy regular testing. If trace elements is that important to you go Reef Moonshiners and be done with it.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weight and mass are equal on the planet ...gravity does not change by any appreciable level based on geography (0.2% difference between sea level and mt everest base camp). I don't think the intended use of this device is interplanetary or on a space station.
The point is if your going to pay I’m sure the heavy price tag this thing comes with and your trying to be very accurate then I want a balance not a scale otherwise why take it to this level to begin with.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like weighing salt mix instead of going by volume.

But seeing as this product is by Elos, it's going to be 3x-5x as expensive as it should be. The benefits are not even going to come close to the cost premium they are going to try and charge for this thing.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this will be at MACNA this weekend and wanted to know what you all thought about it!

What do you think of the idea of "using weight" to "self-verify" exact dosing amounts of trace elements for your reef tank?

Here's the email I just got about it.

ELOS Pesatron Automatic Weighing Station

The ELOS Pesatron works symbiotically with the ELOS Dosatron to provide reliable and consistent dosing to your aquarium. The ELOS Pesatron self-verifies exact dosing amounts using weight and adjusts the behavior of the dosing pumps, without the need for manual calibration. With the ELOS Pesatron built in weight scales, you no longer need to manually calibrate dosing pumps, preventing dosing errors that may occur by drifts over time. In addition, the ELOS Pesatron is accurate to the tenth of a gram.

1662657109971.png

ELOS Dosatron Intelligent Dosing Station

It’s not just a simple dosing pump - it’s the "brain" of your aquarium. The Elos Dosatron will calculate dosing level needs of your aquarium based on the data you enter (KH-Ca-Mg Test) and will administer the main supplements accordingly. The ELOS Dosatron learns your aquarium’s daily needs and behavior to fully automate dosing procedures.

1662657213049.png
The actual question might be “what do you guys think about a more expensive way to dose your additives”. And the other question might be who says we need higher accuracy?

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not part of the "no water change" crowd, so dosing trace elements isn't part of my setup, and I can't comment on that part. I could see some potential benefit if this was for two part.
Also, the cost of the unit would be a factor into any gains made using the system versus equipment already available.
so you get away without dosing because of frequent water changes using a quality salt ?

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, this system is right up there with other unnecessary/expensive technologies, like automatic testing, that I will never consider.

One piece of equipment can't permanently calibrate another if it IT isn't calibrated....

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, I will say in the context of dosing (mixing up batches), everyone should have a scale they trust, or premeasured bags from BRS if you are lazy :grinning-squinting-face: . Not a fan of measuring spoons/cups etc. for dry materials.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back