ELOS NEW way of dosing "using weight" to "self-verify" exact dosing amounts of trace elements for your reef tank?

What do you think of the idea of "using weight" to verify exact dosing amounts of trace elements?

• I Like It

Votes: 72 42.9%
  • Don't Like It

Votes: 29 17.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 64 38.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, I will say in the context of dosing (mixing up batches), everyone should have a scale they trust, or premeasured bags from BRS if you are lazy :grinning-squinting-face: . Not a fan of measuring spoons/cups etc. for dry materials.

Why?

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it as 2 points of potential calibration issues with the scale and the heads. I also am skeptical of a scale that needs to be powered on at all times, what happens if you lose power? Does the scale 0 itself?

I don’t think hobbyists are dosing anything on a dosing pump that requires 0.1ml accuracy.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you get away without dosing because of frequent water changes using a quality salt ?
I don't test for trace elements, and do a monthly 40% water change with reef crystals on my sps tank. I run all my reef tanks very light on fish so my nitrates stay low. I dose 2 part daily. Works for me, may not for others.
IMG_20220720_181419329~4.jpg

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't test for trace elements, and do a monthly 40% water change with reef crystals on my sps tank. I run all my reef tanks very light on fish so my nitrates stay low. I dose 2 part daily. Works for me, may not for others.
IMG_20220720_181419329~4.jpg
unreal looking tank. obviously what your doing works for you. good work!

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should it be heaping, or level? Ok, level! How good am I at making it perfectly level? Is there any air pockets/bridging (especially if clumping)? Is my measuring tool slightly different/off, and would I know? Was that "10 tablespoons" rounded up/down and only close to the exact amount?

I just prefer weight.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should it be heaping, or level? Ok, level! How good am I at making it perfectly level? Is there any air pockets/bridging (especially if clumping)? Is my measuring tool slightly different/off, and would I know? Was that "10 tablespoons" rounded up/down and only close to the exact amount?

I just prefer weight.

Weight is certainly fine, though it’s not foolproof due to uncertainties in moisture levels.
Dry volume measurement can be pretty accurate, even with ordinary kitchen measuring spoons. This is from one of my articles:

A recent article in an online culinary magazine suggested that measuring spoons used by cooks are actually a fairly accurate way to measure volumes. In particular, they showed that of the many teaspoons tested, all were within 1% of the standard volume:

"Measuring spoons don't usually get a lot of consideration: bought once and done. But have you ever wondered if your set of spoons is accurate? Would an expensive set do a better job? To find out, the test kitchen purchased 10 different sets of measuring spoons, made from both plastic and stainless steel and ranging in price from $1.99 to $14.99.

We were prepared for large differences in degree of accuracy but found none. All of the spoons weighed in within a few hundredths of a gram of the official standard-not enough to compromise even the most exacting recipe."

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weight is certainly fine, though it’s not foolproof due to uncertainties in moisture levels.
Dry volume measurement can be pretty accurate, even with ordinary kitchen measuring spoons. This is from one of my articles:

A recent article in an online culinary magazine suggested that measuring spoons used by cooks are actually a fairly accurate way to measure volumes. In particular, they showed that of the many teaspoons tested, all were within 1% of the standard volume:

"Measuring spoons don't usually get a lot of consideration: bought once and done. But have you ever wondered if your set of spoons is accurate? Would an expensive set do a better job? To find out, the test kitchen purchased 10 different sets of measuring spoons, made from both plastic and stainless steel and ranging in price from $1.99 to $14.99.

We were prepared for large differences in degree of accuracy but found none. All of the spoons weighed in within a few hundredths of a gram of the official standard-not enough to compromise even the most exacting recipe."
Certainly, have to be flexible. For something like batches of salt I always use a measuring cup (well more of a large mug with a handle) and get it close and then test and bring it to the final salinity, since I have noticed moisture being an issue there over the life of a bucket/box. Small volume stuff that can be sealed well I usually use weight.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am curious as to how the accuracy of this scale compares to something like a volumetric flask or a pipette.

Last edited:

b breef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pharmacist have been doing it forever.
if it’s that important to you to get exacting results, why not?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting idea, poor execution.

Saw it in person at the show. I pulled one of the bottles out to look at the scale. It appears to be a cheap cantilever balance. There is no protection for fluid getting down there. The platform to the rest of the device just has an open gap of the perfect thickness for something to drip, dry out and bridge the gap. The dosing heads exude “cheap” not quality. Frankly they should have been hidden inside with a simple light to indicate dosing. Also would be nice if they made it with an overall enclosure… similar to an analytical balance. Even if it didn’t help, it would convey a feeling of accuracy.

It would be very interesting if someone came out with a scale/ stirrer. Simple 1-10V output for compatibility. Combine that with a high quality dosing pump of your choice. Many use scenarios there. If you know the SG of the solution, it could auto calibrate the dosing head. Or you could use the dosing head to calibrate the scale. At worst, it would give you a good idea of the amount of solution left.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pharmacist have been doing it forever.
if it’s that important to you to get exacting results, why not?

Actually it’s not that accurate. I can buy an $18 scale off Amazon more accurate then this thing.

FE8B7CAF-973F-4CF9-B15E-30CBC9B794B4.png

ELOSAmerica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo dang didn't realize the price lol

Maybe a test to say how much I need and I will just weigh the product myself and dose it
the final price is not yet completely finalized, the MARE PRO kit includes the Dosatron, the Pesatron, but also 3 stripes of KH /MG//Ca products and the corresponding test, which on the market have a value of about $100,

and for the moment we are talking about 950 € and $ which are 1 for 1, but do not forget that the VAT in Europe is 20 to 22% so in reality we are more on $800 for a dosing pump, auto calibrate on the weight, but the MOST IMPORTANT thing in this system is not the scale, but the presence of the artificial intelligence that will adapt the dosage of your elements according to the number of data you provide to the machine, which analyzes your KH, Mg and Ca results to adapt the dosage of liquids to your specific need, so you don't need to calibrate, but you also don't need to give any order to the dosing pump. . she will do all .. and more test you do more accurate it is ..

It adapts itself to the needs of the aquarium and the results of your tests.

You have to do the tests, but sorry. ;):beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

In the end, it is cheaper than 2 DOS and these containers, and the apex, the trident

the mare is positioned between the classic dosing pump and the complete kit Neptunes and GHL, Hydros .

ELOSAmerica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking more about this, other aquarium controller companies should take note. It would not be hard to program similar logic into existing controllers if they had a scale add on that interfaced with their systems. I am not a big fan of learned dosing, that one might be a little more difficult but comparing dosing amounts vs weight and calculating fill levels could easily be done.

@Vinny@GHLUSA
@CoralVue
@NeptunePaul
i am pretty sure now ELOS lead the innovation , and as we do since 25 years , we will see this in the industry at the next big show , next years .. but as ELOS is known to bring innovations that many will follow

ELOSAmerica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that a product brings so much discussion, that makes push our passion, it is super existing to bring innovation

I think that many see a dosing pump, I see MARE REef MAnager phase 1. (Mare is the italian word for SEA )
ELOS and myself do not want to make another dosing pump, there are already many on the market, and that's good, our dosing pump is only the tool to implement a concept BACK TO BASICS,
the artificial intelligence in Mare is there to help the aquarist to go back to the source towards something simple and efficient on which we can be sure that we are not doing anything wrong.

after the first week end in Macna, we can improve some of the ideas , the industry bring to us and adapt the Mare for the final production, as well as adapt its price. ;)

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the mare is positioned between the classic dosing pump and the complete kit Neptunes and GHL, Hydros

But it isn't. Neptune, GHL and HYDROS are full system controllers. It is an accessory to a dosing pump.

As a stand alone stirrer/ scale with 0-10V input/ output in the $50-$100 range (per container)... big impact. Could be used not only for dosing pump calibration/ monitoring, but also for alk titration.

ELOSAmerica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it isn't. Neptune, GHL and HYDROS are full system controllers. It is an accessory to a dosing pump.

As a stand alone stirrer/ scale with 0-10V input/ output in the $50-$100 range (per container)... big impact. Could be used not only for dosing pump calibration/ monitoring, but also for alk titration.
Yes, GHL, Neptunes and Hydros are complete control systems, which we are not, that's why we position ourselves between them and the classic dosing pumps which have no control other than the dosing duration

Therefore, it is preferable that we do not develop the product, because it has no use for aquarists, knowing that a dosing pump GHL or Neptunes already exists and that they will add a scale to their products and can do the same things for less money.

The fact that the system uses an AI to manage the supply of elements in the aquarium has no utility,
The scale and dosing pumps are just the tools to manage the dosing,

It is interesting to have the opinion of the users, because if it is useless then, no need that we take our resources to try to develop it.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the final price is not yet completely finalized, the MARE PRO kit includes the Dosatron, the Pesatron, but also 3 stripes of KH /MG//Ca products and the corresponding test, which on the market have a value of about $100,

and for the moment we are talking about 950 € and $ which are 1 for 1, but do not forget that the VAT in Europe is 20 to 22% so in reality we are more on $800 for a dosing pump, auto calibrate on the weight, but the MOST IMPORTANT thing in this system is not the scale, but the presence of the artificial intelligence that will adapt the dosage of your elements according to the number of data you provide to the machine, which analyzes your KH, Mg and Ca results to adapt the dosage of liquids to your specific need, so you don't need to calibrate, but you also don't need to give any order to the dosing pump. . she will do all .. and more test you do more accurate it is ..

It adapts itself to the needs of the aquarium and the results of your tests.

You have to do the tests, but sorry. ;):beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

In the end, it is cheaper than 2 DOS and these containers, and the apex, the trident

the mare is positioned between the classic dosing pump and the complete kit Neptunes and GHL, Hydros .
Can you elaborate more on the logic behind the programing? For example, the scale tells the dosing head when to turn on/off? Or is the scale doing a verification based on a previous calibration or known standard?

Are there any fail safes to prevent the doser from either failing to dose or over dosing?

So you do not need to calibrate the dosing heads at all? All calibration is done by weight? if that's true, Is there any way to check the scale to ensure it hasn't drifted or lost calibration?

ELOSAmerica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate more on the logic behind the programing? For example, the scale tells the dosing head when to turn on/off? Or is the scale doing a verification based on a previous calibration or known standard?

Are there any fail safes to prevent the doser from either failing to dose or over dosing?

So you do not need to calibrate the dosing heads at all? All calibration is done by weight? if that's true, Is there any way to check the scale to ensure it hasn't drifted or lost calibration?
the scale is a tools for the doser to dose the volume of product based on the weight .. and not in ml, that take away all error on calibration the head pump ..

the Pesatron is sensitive , and get be set as zero every time you want , it's also very easy to verify if the scale is good or not .
you never need to calibrate the doser , the doser run based on the weight of the product.

the dosing is based on the result of testing .. you need to add all the numbers inside your apps , for giving information at the doser, the dosing will be adapted to your need .

so it is easy to check if there is an error in the distribution. ,

Of course, like any electronic machine, a maintenance will have to be done from time to time as we do for our cars.

all the system is set up with security in time dosing , so too much weight at the time , too long , not enough time , an alarme is sent to all mobile connected to the MARE .

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back