ELOS NEW way of dosing "using weight" to "self-verify" exact dosing amounts of trace elements for your reef tank?

What do you think of the idea of "using weight" to verify exact dosing amounts of trace elements?

• I Like It

Votes: 72 42.9%
  • Don't Like It

Votes: 29 17.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 64 38.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to add my .02 cent.

I also work with ELOS just to set the foundation. I am also a huge gear junkie and have just about every controller on the market. However. When Francois first told me the concept of this product I was super excited.

I would like to clarify some things I’ve read throughout the thread…

I calibrate my GHL dose heads based on a scale that I have never calibrated. I honestly do not know how often a scale should be calibrated, but when I worked in a lab, we had people coming out to calibrate our pipettes quite frequently. Some of the chemicals we used was at the micro gram level (10^-6). I’m sure those scales got calibrated, but I know for sure the frequency of calibration was minimal.

the software is making calculations based on the density of the liquid. So density = mass/volume. It’s a very simple calculation that does require some variables in the background. However, the software engineers do realize that there are human errors in how people mix chemicals, so there will be variations.

The software is using “cognition” with a little help with the user to redetermine that human error every time the scale is tared. It is also using the data from the weeks, months or years that it has stored to make decisions on consumption levels and appropriate dosing levels. This algorithm has a bias for recent data over older data. It also has the ability to alert you if something doesn’t seem to match the predicted values. Of course, there is the option to turn off the background cognition if the user does not want these changes being made.

The dosing pumps do have fail safes on them. They are powered by the scale. The pumps only turn on the when the scale says it should. The smart software recognizes if the scale is moving the predicted way. This has several applications…

For instance, This summer I traveled quite a bit. My kh director was showing me that me alkalinity was dropping. So I kept increasing my kalkwasser dosages. When I arrived home, I confirmed that my alkalinity was in fact dropping. My lines had partially clogged and when I calibrated my GHL dosing heads (using a scale as recomended), the lines were only allowing about a quarter of what the system believed was being added to the system. I replaced my lines and everything was fine.

In a situation like this, the Mare would alert you that the correct amount of fluid wasn’t being dispensed and alert you via an app (iOS and android). From here, you can make a decision on how to respond. Personally, I find redundancy incredibly valuable, and I add it where I can.

So even though the Mare scale is incredibly precise (0.1 g), there are many other applications beyond the level of precision you get from the system.

I saw one comment about trace elements. The Mare definitely has the ability to dose with a precision necessary for many trace elements, but it was designed for 3 part dosing mind. It is exciting to me that there are applications beyond 3 part because of the quality of the components used, but that would be up to the end user. And potentially future developments.

The product at MACNA is our prototype - a proof of concept. Our goal was market research. We were far more focused on what people thought of the concept than the design. Part of that was whether or not we should even bring the concept to market. I asked a lot of questions and made notes of changes people would like to see as we finalize the system. There are several things that will change when we bring this to market - such as water proofing and overall aesthetics. Most of the feedback I received for the concept was positive and most of the potential issues are already planned as we bring it to market (such as water proofing) or are simple to incorporate.

I think there was enough interest to continue developing the product and the plan is to have it delivering around Black Friday/end of the year.

I know there are several things that interest different people about our hobby. I happen to be a data head and gear junkie, so products like this are right up my alley. I know there is a substantial subset of hobbyists who value technology and find that a highlight to the experience - like me.

I also realize this can bias my opinion on gear. So I really appreciate the different opinions on the system. I hope it’s something that people are interested in, as we have a lot of ideas on how to expand, but it doesn’t make sense to spend resources on a system if no one wants it (except for me ). I’m looking forward to following the thread and answering any questions people have.
Thanks y’all!

Paul - LakesideReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is pretty awesome, looking a little past the dosing pump and the weights and measures aspect.

I think the big part here is being able to put in our test results and the system setting up and adjusting the dosing schedule based on the test inputs. No more calculating how much we need to dose and figuring out schedules. So that to me is a big win. I'm looking forward to seeing this product work its way into production and seeing more of the user interface and backend workings.

Keep up the good work - LakesideReefer

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back