EMarco 400 Weak Bond

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mixed per instructions, the joints will crack. Looks like the cement is not adhering to the rock well. Tried the mix a little wetter, still not holding. Any suggestions?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure. I used it and it worked well. My only idea is perhaps to use a little more than you think you'll need.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that stuff doesn't work for you then use MasterEmaco N 426 (Formerly Thorite Rapid Vertical). This is the best rapid setting cement available and a fraction of the cost of that stuff you are using. You will have to go through a long cure process before you put this stuff in the tank though.

Tomlagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used AquaForest Stonefix - very satisfied . Recently had to remove an anemone that toppled over one of the structures - no damage at all. Each structure is elevated with three fiberglass pegs .

8B7D0267-66C4-4B5F-A098-A21E8A1669B1.jpeg FE6EA01E-F9CA-4CAA-B040-94A2A8A1153E.jpeg

Twotone24v

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you let things dry? I had issue with things if I tried moving them a few hours after application. Once I realized I needed a full 24 hours to fully harden things have been great! 6 months in the tank and everything is holding strong.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got done using this and my first round was a disaster... it didn't bond, everything crumbled apart like sand when i tried to move it and i even waited 24 hrs... after collecting myself i restarted the aquascape, this time i filled a spray bottle with water and some of the marco solution and sprayed down the rock where i placed the mortar. I used a lot of wood bricks and plastic cups to hold everything in place overnight and this time everything was solid. picked it up carried it into my basement and put in in brute cans and they all stayed together. So i learned that spray bottle does wonders for preparing the rock for mortar and bonding

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that stuff doesn't work for you then use MasterEmaco N 426 (Formerly Thorite Rapid Vertical). This is the best rapid setting cement available and a fraction of the cost of that stuff you are using. You will have to go through a long cure process before you put this stuff in the tank though.
Where could I find this product? Web searches show the product but not where to buy.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed per instructions, the joints will crack. Looks like the cement is not adhering to the rock well. Tried the mix a little wetter, still not holding. Any suggestions?
Bad batch or mixed improperly. This stuff is wicked hard to break apart once it’s set. I’ve had heavy gulf live rock break before the pneumatic cement breaks.

MediocreAtEverything

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marco mortar is garbage for the amount it costs. I tried wetting it and letting it sit for days and it is too easy to break and crumble. I gave up on it as a structural component and just put it at the base and to fill some seams. The CA glue and sand method works a lot better and doesn't look like bad concrete work when you are done.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works. You might be doing it wrong.
Start off with alittle bit of liquid then slowly add more till it’s almost a paste but not so watery. Wear double gloves as well. Also you cna grab a bit make it into a ball then squeeze it then shove it in the spaces you want to attach things

what I did was use superglue to make the structure. Then sprayed it with some accelerator then added the mortar.

Attachments

• 722E9827-46EB-422F-B09E-CCBBA50D085E.jpeg
    722E9827-46EB-422F-B09E-CCBBA50D085E.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DCDE0CC0-ABE7-49F1-9CB1-DF5ED2D1B2DA.jpeg
    DCDE0CC0-ABE7-49F1-9CB1-DF5ED2D1B2DA.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 27
  • BCCEA4BA-0ABF-4138-A43C-438E4AEFC978.jpeg
    BCCEA4BA-0ABF-4138-A43C-438E4AEFC978.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 37

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix it wet/ a little more watery and seems to work good

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marco mortar is garbage for the amount it costs. I tried wetting it and letting it sit for days and it is too easy to break and crumble. I gave up on it as a structural component and just put it at the base and to fill some seams. The CA glue and sand method works a lot better and doesn't look like bad concrete work when you are done.
Can you expand on the CA and sand method?

MediocreAtEverything

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CA is Cyanoacrylate or standard superglue. I used Bob Smith glue in various viscosities. I glued the rocks together and used a spray bottle with water / baking soda to instantly set the glue. (DO NOT buy accelerator, its a huge waste of money and smells awful) Then I took a thicker glue and filled the gaps and sprinkled sand over it. Within minutes its cured and looks more natural than the grey mortar. Tidal gardens and BRS did videos on it, but BRS did a more mortar approach. I wasted a bunch of rock with the mortar. It always ended up bulkier than what I wanted. I did use a spray bottle when using the mortar to "blend" it into the rock. I really just used the mortar as structure underneath the rock on arches and the base where you can't see it. I would suggest getting different thicknesses of the CA glue. I found uses for the watery thin stuff all the way to the thick gel. The medium works best to mock up your structure. I've been fiddling with my scape since April while setting up my Red Sea P650 and have tried everything. If I had more rock I'd probably start from scratch, but I'm not paying for another 100 lbs :mad:

DO NOT use the baking soda spray or accelerator on top of the sand or it will turn white and stringy, let that cure on its own, that will only take seconds to a few minutes.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back