Emerald crab and coral banded dead!

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there. About a month ago I finished cycling my tank. A week after that I purchased my first two fish along with 5 hermits, a banded coral and peppermint shrimp, an emerald crab and 6 snails. Everything seemed to be doing exceptionally so a week after that I purchased a blue tang, foxface and purple tang. It has now been 2 weeks and everything is going very well and all the tank inhabitants look healthy. Five days ago my banded coral shrimp randomly lost an arm and I found him dead the next morning. I tested my water and my nitrites were almost untraceable and my nitrates were in between 5 and 10. I originally thought that it was the blue tang who did this since the coral banded seemed to be hanging around his territory, however, this morning I woke up and found my emerald crab dead. I just tested my water and my parameters are the exact same as before. Does anyone know what the cause might be? all the other inverts seem to be fine and I have seen a couple hermit molts floating around the tank as well as the peppermint shrimps molt. Are my trates too high or am I missing something? pls help!

Please note: the emerald crab was also hanging around the blue tangs territory and the banded coral shrimp molted a day or two before I died

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there. About a month ago I finished cycling my tank. A week after that I purchased my first two fish along with 5 hermits, a banded coral and peppermint shrimp, an emerald crab and 6 snails. Everything seemed to be doing exceptionally so a week after that I purchased a blue tang, foxface and purple tang. It has now been 2 weeks and everything is going very well and all the tank inhabitants look healthy. Five days ago my banded coral shrimp randomly lost an arm and I found him dead the next morning. I tested my water and my nitrites were almost untraceable and my nitrates were in between 5 and 10. I originally thought that it was the blue tang who did this since the coral banded seemed to be hanging around his territory, however, this morning I woke up and found my emerald crab dead. I just tested my water and my parameters are the exact same as before. Does anyone know what the cause might be? all the other inverts seem to be fine and I have seen a couple hermit molts floating around the tank as well as the peppermint shrimps molt. Are my trates too high or am I missing something? pls help!

Please note: the emerald crab was also hanging around the blue tangs territory and the banded coral shrimp molted a day or two before I died
Do you have any pics or more info about your tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
a pic or two would help greatly to assure it death and not a molt.
A banded shrimp molting with have a clear skeleton whereas a dead one will have all the meat within the shell/housing

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were both definitely dead. They were fully intact with meat inside and everything. My tank is a reefer 450, 5 feet long 22 tall and 20 wide. Btw I know I can't house a blue tang in that forever. I'm planning on giving him to a friend eventually.

1603037042945322263887981434.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is also possible the shrimp never had a chance to harden before getting attacked by possibly rabbit fish, not saying rabbit did this

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use Ro/di. My ammonia is 0, nitrites 0.025 mg/L (almost untraceable), nitrates 5-10 mg/L, phosphate same as nitrite. Now that I think about it, there is a chance that it could be copper since I filter my water directly from a copper pipe. I will try and find a test kit to measure copper.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back