Emerald crab and frogspawn

RiversideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my emerald crab likes to hang out by or on the frog spawn... should I be worried for the coral?

8721F7B1-B3E7-4F82-9241-F534F59BEC65.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not. You might hear that all crabs are omnivores and can be nippy around corals, however this is pretty rare in emerald crabs, provided they have enough food. He probably enjoys hanging out there or cleaning the coral as your rock seems pretty new and might not have a ton for him to nibble on. You'll notice pretty quickly if your emerald is eating your coral- I've only had one start to munch some zoas out of probably 40 emerald crabs. They are not subtle about it :)

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in my tank and they will hang out around the coral as pictured but not harm them. It is very important to make sure they have a good food supply and they will not harm corals.

MayaMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched mine just eat my frog spawn. Brand new crab and coral. Maybe it’s because I’m just starting my tank and there’s nothing else for him to eat yet? I am over a month in but my LPS sold him to me and now I wonder if I should be giving him back until I have a bubble algae outbreak or something more.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back