Emerald crab chopped off 3 heads on my frammer

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed my frammer coral on Wednesday and my emerald crab chopped off 3 heads it closed instantly and now has been in hiding the rest of the week. 1/3 is out but not extended. Sorry for the lighting ramping up.
20190922_114700.jpg

20190922_114708.jpg

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd exile the crab. If the crab did it once it will likely do it again at some point.

OP
OP
William Mumford

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get him and put him in the sump but he is too fast and how the heck do you get them off the rock. :mad: do you think my frammer is okay ? or will it die? is there anyway I can help it?

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Never seen a emerald do that before. They do do weird things but thats a first. Might be able to lure him out with some food in tongs. Just lead him out.

Hope your hammer is okay

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral will probably be fine if it's not molested any more. To catch the wily little bugger I'd try a bottle trap first. Maybe lean it on the rockwork so he doesn't have to climb the slippery slope.

OP
OP
William Mumford

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly am second guessing myself on getting them in the first place cool to watch and they do a good job but mean to everything.

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched an emerald crab last night on side of torch, merrily picking and eating away at the flesh. fortunately, the torch was on a small, separate piece of rock that I could pull out. Took the torch/rock/crab over sump and pried the "stinking paws" of that "dang dirty 'ape'" off the coral so that there's now no more "soup" for him

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the problem with a lot of animals. They do funky things in captivity. Who knows if the crab was just bored or it was hungry and saw an easy meal.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly am second guessing myself on getting them in the first place cool to watch and they do a good job but mean to everything.
I got 14 of them spread out in 3 tanks. They never have bothered anything. I have 3 in my tank with a 14" carpet anemone, the large one does snap at the anemone every time it touches him. Its actually really funny, like he's swatting flies.

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man didn't even know the bottle trap trick. Feel like an idiot.

They can be hit or miss. Best time to catch him will be overnight. Not sure what the best bait will be for him though. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 emerald crabs in my ~120g tank. I see them picking at various tissues at times, but I've never had them kill anything. Honestly I can't tell if they're hurting, or being helpful scavengers.

When I see them doing the alarming Tissue Grab, its usually on a coral that was distressed. I can't remember a time they were grabbing at the healthiest corals. This doesn't sound like your case.

As a reference point, I'm a regular and heavy feeder of the tank. Plenty of corals (SPS, LPS, few zoe's), but Plenty of fish too. Maybe I'm already providing the crabs with plenty of easier to get food.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back