Emerald crab has unique “pom poms” growing in stalks on his back—what are they?!

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in my first year of reefkeeping and it’s been the most rewarding hobby of my life. After having many fish only tanks I’m constantly amazed at the diversity of life that comes seemingly out of nowhere.

That being said one of my three emerald crabs has turned white and has what I initially worried was a fungus growing on his back. I keep hoping he’ll molt (I have 9 inverts all
Of which have molted at least once) but he hasn’t.

Can anyone identify what the heck is growing on him? My best description is those white dandelions that you blow through the air. That’s what they look like. Attaching pics.

Thanks! It’s the first thing I haven’t been able to figure out after hours of researching so I appreciate your efforts!

Christopher

86AA13C2-AAF2-4DAA-8947-C5DDF8996D74.jpeg 00786A39-1CED-4BBC-9202-C840FCDCD65E.jpeg

Attachments

• FAF6A5EA-73F8-427C-B15B-7505C7CF58BA.MOV
    32.8 MB
OP
OP
The1HunnT

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I did have hydroids shortly after my diatom bloom, but only noticed them on the glass and for maybe two weeks . They do look similar but never noticed them with stalks like that. Then they dissapeared a few months ago and everything has been fine except this poor crabs colony on his back.

I appreciate it!

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with hydroids. You should be able to just pick them off.

OP
OP
The1HunnT

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I feel better knowing that so maybe I’ll just pinch them off. I didn’t know hydroids could grow stalks from where they anchor. I have to say I’m much happier than if they were some sort of fungus. Thanks!

Back