Emerald crab missing, can't find it

Queeery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up a used tank with just a clownfish and a couple of coral pollops, about a month ago I got a couple of turbo snails, a couple of hermit crabs, and an emerald crab. The emerald was doing great for the first couple of weeks, very active and munching away at the algae that I had been allowing to build up. About two weeks ago I started to clean up and remove a large majority of the green hair algae manually. Since around that time I haven't seen the emerald a single time. I've looked everywhere I can think of, but it seems to have disappeared entirely. Any suggestions?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go weeks without seeing mine

Upvote 0

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide when molting. Sometimes they get eaten by somthing else. If you really want to find it out some Nori to a clip near the sand the next day you might see it. Mine used to love Nori but I got rid of him because he ate coral.

Upvote 0

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are able to clearly see every part of your rockwork (assuming you have some) I suspect that he/she has just found a spot with lots of food.
As @Jekyl mentioned, they hide away for long spells. I have four but only see one or two maybe once a week.

Upvote 0

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob hiding in the rock somewhere, how about when the tank lights go out? That’s when mine really go wandering and picking.

Upvote 0

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first bought 2 I never seen them again after a week thinking it’s dead so I bought another 2. One day I saw all 4, that tells me how good they’re at hiding within the rocks. now usually see 1-2 out in the open once or twice a week.

Upvote 0

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes to hide underneath my bubble tip anemones and has found other places to hide. I may go weeks without seeing it.

Upvote 0
Back