Emerald Crabs

christy.alm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a short life span? I just lost two within 3 days. Parameters are fine... I am wondering if that is emerald crabs, hermit crabs and snails have a very short life span hence why there are so many at the fish stores.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my scarlet hermit crabs over a year and not lost a single one, emerald crab has been fine and even my Mexican turbo snails have been going strong for 6 months

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a short life span? I just lost two within 3 days. Parameters are fine... I am wondering if that is emerald crabs, hermit crabs and snails have a very short life span hence why there are so many at the fish stores.
Life span is longer than three days probably (pardon the bad attempt at humor).......I think many haven't been fed well/properly at LFS and are not healthy because of that; I suspect many slowly starve over a few months time.
This may be of interest: https://www.fishlore.com/profile-emeraldcrab.htm
As for my own experience, I've had three now for about six months and target feed them with Nori, mysis and blood worms, and, of course, they steal pellets and other food from my corals.
Good luck on another one; they are very interesting I believe and I enjoy watching my orchid dottyback "joust" with one of mine.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an emerald(red colored, but still a mithrax) in a CUC pack when I started my tank. He(confirmed from the arrow on his belly) lasted about two week and was dead under a rock. Well all I found was the top of the shell and a few legs after missing him for a while. I'm only guessing two weeks because that's how long I saw him. My coral banded shrimp that came with it is still in the tank and has doubled in size since March. I'm not sure if it died from something natural or starved or was killed by the shrimp. I'm not sure if a shrimp can kill a crab. I'm looking at getting another one for my nano, I have some bubble algae popping up in there.

Would an emerald bother a pom pom? I have one of those in the tank that I only see if I sneak up on him with a flash light at night.

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also may want to see if something like copper could have contaminated your water? I've noticed snails arent happy when alk fluctuates too.

HereWeGoAgain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a short life span. I bought a couple of emeralds about 4 months ago. One is slightly bigger than when I bought it. The other is significantly larger than the other! I hadn't seen either one for weeks, and when the large one appeared, I was shocked to the point of thinking my family was pranking me. I suppose it was eating detritus and/or uneaten fish food flakes/pellets.
I can now get both of them to come out of hiding by putting a small piece of shrimp on a skewer--they both will attack it!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back