Emerald Crab went Bye Bye :/

Do you Keep a Crab(s) in the sump?

• Total voters

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dead asleep at 4am suddenly I hear my phone going off. It was my APEX alarm telling me that my Cor pump had an overcurrent event. So I walk downstairs I here a grinding noise coming from the Sump. I shut down everything and started to investigate at that moment I saw a claw sticking out of the input of the Pump :confused: ( I am not running a guard on it at this time) I cleared out the pump and put everything back together. The reason the crab was in the sump is because when he was in the tank he was munching on corals and clawing at my Fish he was getting way to Fresh so I put him in Crab jail. He usually hung out near the filter sock area picking it clean.

Moral of the story run a Guard on your return pump I will be ordering one today!!!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, glad you had an apex to warn you! I always run guards on my pumps now because one got all clogged up with bubble algae and this exact same thing happened. Sorry about your crab :(

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found her! He's as happy as a pig i slop, but here's the thing. Like you I got POed at him and threw it in the sump thinking he was eating coral. I do have 3 other Emrangs in the main tank and after observing them I believe they are just cleaning algae from the coral not eating it. I have 1 thats so old her shell is completely incrusted with coraline, (ill post a pic soon) named her mamma smurf! I noticed after she cleans the coral they immediately re-extend. I think somehow the coral has memory that knows its ok. I am going to put him back if I see it again. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found her! He's as happy as a pig i slop, but here's the thing. Like you I got POed at him and threw it in the sump thinking he was eating coral. I do have 3 other Emrangs in the main tank and after observing them I believe they are just cleaning algae from the coral not eating it. I have 1 thats so old her shell is completely incrusted with coraline, (ill post a pic soon) named her mamma smurf! I noticed after she cleans the coral they immediately re-extend. I think somehow the coral has memory that knows its ok. I am going to put him back if I see it again. Lol
Nice I am glad you found her!!!!!

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Momma Smurf. Covered in coralline. I wish I could take better pics. That pic is with a flash light at night with the lights off. I wonder how long a Emerald crab live?

Mamma Smurf.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back