LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning

Are Aiptasia Known to killing Hermit Crabs

Brought two scarlet Hermits yesterday and this morning when look at one on a rock could see it was tangled with an Aiptasia first i thought it was eating it as they are known to eat Aiptasia but on closer inspection could see he was life less and on picking it up from the rock could see the Aiptasia had firm grip on it

When having closer inspection can see he has little bit life in him and returns to his shell but after a min or to he return to limp life less sole almost fully hanging of his shell doesn't look good

Im going move it to the sump to see if it can recover from the sting

OP
OP
LeadHead83

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure this was the doing of the Aiptasia stinging the hermit. As i pulled the crab away from the rock i could see the Aiptasia feelers wrapped firmly around it and few of the feelers from the Aiptasia were wrapped from the body of the crab as i picked it up they had such firm grip on the little Hermit didn't want to let go almost pulled hermit out of it shell in the process but i was gentle and removed it without hurting it anymore then it had been.

I've moved it to floating QT for now as don't have a full QT setup was thinking of moving it to sump see if he will recover in there away from the Wrasse and Emerald Crab who might pick on it while its weak.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aiptasia can take advantage of it in an already weakened state, but can't ilicit that kind of response initially. What you are witnessing is correlation, not causation.

OP
OP
LeadHead83

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just spoken to one of my LFS and they have reminded me they are nocturnal and that it could just be asleep and to check back on it later on this evening.

So question remains if the Aiptasia has had an effect on it till this evening. Be glad when the peppermint shrimp has dealt with the last few Aiptasia in the tank.

OP
OP
LeadHead83

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i took Hermit out of the floating QT last night when wrasse had gone to sleep in the sand and placed next to little patch of algae away from any Aiptasia and this morning it has not moved from were it was placed last night going to assume it is dead.

It was fine on Sunday evening moving around and eating. Monday morning found half dead in mouth of Aiptasia.

Went in last night and terminated the Aiptasia in question with Aiptasia X. looks like im off the LFS at weekend to get another hermit

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back