(EMERGENCY) BLUE TANG HAS ICH SPOTS EVERYWHERE!

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first i made a bunch of post due to my tang having a few spots of White spots on it. I did a ich treatment, but Well it looks like this is velvet instead… What do i do???
image.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just be advanced ich. Let's get this moved to the correct forum first off.

#MODS

Then call in the experts

#fishmedic

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like a bad case of ick.

did you remove ALL fish and treat them?
In order To rid the tank of ick- all fish should be removed and treated in a separate qt tank. Additionally main tank needs to go fallow (fish less) for atlease 45 days.

there are a few different treatments you could do, but I think copper power it the easiest way.

Good luck

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hospital tank setup and get copper since you don't have time to cycle tank will have to watch ammonia levels. Get all fish out of tank and treat at therapeutic levels for 30 days. You will need to go fallow for 45 days to eliminate it in the main display.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like a bad case of ick.

did you remove ALL fish and treat them?
In order To rid the tank of ick- all fish should be removed and treated in a separate qt tank. Additionally main tank needs to go fallow (fish less) for atlease 45 days.

there are a few different treatments you could do, but I think copper power it the easiest way.

Good luck
Okey i will put it through quarantine again. i did not get all the fish last time as i am having a hard time catching my yellow goby who has build a big underwater cave with a pistol shrimp. 45 days is enough? Originally i decided to try to not eradicate it due to needing 76 days but it appears this might be neccesary.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is advanced ich not velvet. Follow above recs. ALL fish need to be treated. Copper power is the treatment. Lots of info on this site about QT.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you raise the tank temperature to 80 degrees in display you don't need to QT 76 days. There are fish traps to catch fish as well. I successfully ended Ich 3 years ago from a method if unsure just google ich copper guides. Half of the people will say 72-76 days.

Recent studies put it more at 45 days. The biggest failures are copper dropping below levels and people leaving fish in same hospital tank and lowering copper levels after 30 days. Just because the fish are cured doesn't mean the QT doesn't have an ich that is encrusted on glass. There is the tank transfer method or deep sterile method after the 30 days. Good luck 45 days starts from when last fish leaves display and 30 days starts from when last fish enters QT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first i made a bunch of post due to my tang having a few spots of White spots on it. I did a ich treatment, but Well it looks like this is velvet instead… What do i do???
image.jpg
What treatment did you try so far?
What other fish are in with it?
Any other symptoms on any fish?
Jay

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What treatment did you try so far?
What other fish are in with it?
Any other symptoms on any fish?
Jay
I used esha trimarin for a very short duration of 4 days. There is only a Blue tang, a clown and a yellow goby in the reef tank.

i do not Think the fish has Any other symptoms. It eats Well. I Saw it one day basking her tail against the rocks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see you’re out of the country and resluze the difficulty in obtaining medication
What ingredients are in this medication you have?
Looks much like cryptocaryon and tricky to treat

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the med contains copper, it should work. Just has to be administered in a separate tank as you know.
Try to lure the goby out with food or scare it out if possible.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully disagree. A lot of meds that contain copper have sub therapeutic dosage. If you are in the UK you should have access do cupramine I believe. Cupramine, coppersafe and copper power are you three true copper meds that can ensure therapeutic dosage.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always hard catching the fish. Especially if your have corals in the tank. Trap may* work. But not 100% guarantee. May have to remove some rock and go to town. (That always sucks as well lol)

since the hippo is so bad I would at-lease get him out and start treatment. A freshwater (RODI) 5 min dip may provide some temporary relief. Prior to starting treatment

but also keep in mind- a fish with ick that bad is already stressed and possible has weak immune system as well. So when transferring try to match temperature of freshwater, it may help reduce stress of the dip. If you have an air stone in freshwater it may help to keep freshwater dip oxygenated.

if you have access to Selcon or another food supplement- I highly suggest to soak nori or food for the sick fish. This will boost their immune system which is always a good thing for sick fish and their recovery and survival of QT.

good luck my friend, hope everything works out well for you.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully disagree. A lot of meds that contain copper have sub therapeutic dosage. If you are in the UK you should have access do cupramine I believe. Cupramine, coppersafe and copper power are you three true copper meds that can ensure therapeutic dosage.
True - I was assuming it was a mainly copper med.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing it says is “contains copper”
image.jpg

Dosing a medication that contains copper without using a copper test kit is really risky. My guess is that this product contains a low dose of copper, low enoughg that you don't need a test kit, but also so low as it probably won't be effective. Does the label give any indication as to strength of the copper?

Jay

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One possible way to capture your fish is purchase some tulle netting at your local fabric store. I section off areas and/or wrap around rocks.

For your hospital tank, buy a bacteria starter. I use Seachem biomedia in a Tidal Filter.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing a medication that contains copper without using a copper test kit is really risky. My guess is that this product contains a low dose of copper, low enoughg that you don't need a test kit, but also so low as it probably won't be effective. Does the label give any indication as to strength of the copper?

Jay
25 drops Per 100 liter first day, then 12 drops the next 2 days.
Sadly my Blue tang died today :(

i Will continue to quarantine the other two for 45 days.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back