Emergency hand feeding a fish in hungar strike

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I posted about acquiring a new 4” hippo tank 2 weeks ago. Arrived looking perfect. Went into qt. Was fine but wouldn’t eat. Gave every food known to man. Nori scallops shrimp salmon clams. Flakes pellets brine and mysis. Would t touch anything. Did copper and prazipro decided ok. Need to get her into the main display with perfect water quality. She hid for days on end. Would come out have a look around. Would t eat so today it’s been a few weeks I got her in the next. Put her into a 1 gallon bucket and got a mixture of salmon clams etc with some brine. Put it into a syringe and gently pushed it into her stomach. Nothing came out of her gills so she definitely got something. Has anyone does this before? I am desperate I know she doesn’t have much time left. I’m surprised to see her everyday when I wake up. If this works I will keep going until she has strength back

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BT allowed you to put something in her mouth?
She does not run and hide? That doesn’t seem right at all.
Is she sluggish?
Could she have ick?
CB115765-5740-49A7-8E06-FF8D02454C02.jpeg

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ich no velvet no hlle has not eaten in my presences in 2 weeks. Got a Wyze cam to follow up on her. Her mouth is tiny but the exit of the syringe was able to force food in

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUDE do not force feed that fish... the stress you're putting it through just getting it into the bucket will introduce it to way more problems than leaving it alone.

If it has been in your tank for two weeks without eating It has to be grazing on small algae from the rocks or left over food when it wants.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deathly skinny. Not eating. Since my horrible in humane feeding last night she has swam around a little more. But not eating and hides. I’m able to pinch her top fins she doesn’t swim away and bring her up gently and slowly gently feed some frozen food into her mouth I may keep doing this until who knows I will not give up. I have no choice. Iam not a bad person I will not let this fish die

Attachments

• E2544963-8106-471C-BEE4-B521A9C63C82.jpeg
    E2544963-8106-471C-BEE4-B521A9C63C82.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 49
  • B235FEAF-3196-41B4-93E6-EE84952D6BB7.jpeg
    B235FEAF-3196-41B4-93E6-EE84952D6BB7.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 46

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you explaining.it didnt sound like that fish was doing good and sure does look skinny as hell.yeah maybe grazing on rocks but how you describe i would guess not.
So i take my hat off to you for your dedication on hand feeding that fish.in video it didnt seem that stressed out that you catch/ feeding it.and i never seen nothing of this kind before and it like 3 days since you posted video.how is the fish ? Still with us and gaining weight i hope.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you explaining.it didnt sound like that fish was doing good and sure does look skinny as hell.yeah maybe grazing on rocks but how you describe i would guess not.
So i take my hat off to you for your dedication on hand feeding that fish.in video it didnt seem that stressed out that you catch/ feeding it.and i never seen nothing of this kind before and it like 3 days since you posted video.how is the fish ? Still with us and gaining weight i hope.
Thanks. Because of the lockdown here in Ontario dory was shipped to me. I never got to see her eat or observe before I got her. Which sucks. Dory is doing ok. I’m hand feeding her 3 times a day. Now I have switched to roe soaked in selcon. I firmly believe if I hadn’t been doing this. She would have been long gone. So I will keep trying

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Because of the lockdown here in Ontario dory was shipped to me. I never got to see her eat or observe before I got her. Which sucks. Dory is doing ok. I’m hand feeding her 3 times a day. Now I have switched to roe soaked in selcon. I firmly believe if I hadn’t been doing this. She would have been long gone. So I will keep trying
Good luck! Are you growing algae for the tang to graze on?

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you guys the best. I know you are trying and hate seeing anything starve when you are offering food. My tang I got from the lfs was thin, they had not been feeding it nori strips. Once I started adding the nori strips to his diet along with other food choices, he fattened up!

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUDE do not force feed that fish... the stress you're putting it through just getting it into the bucket will introduce it to way more problems than leaving it alone.

If it has been in your tank for two weeks without eating It has to be grazing on small algae from the rocks or left over food when it wants.
I disagree. I’ve had to force feed animals in the past and works, but should be only be done as an absolute last resort and very carefully.
You suggest he should stand there and do nothing? I doubt a farmer would take that advice.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I’ve had to force feed animals in the past and works, but should be only be done as an absolute last resort and very carefully.
You suggest he should stand there and do nothing? I doubt a farmer would take that advice.
+1 would you want someone to force feed you if you couldn’t eat, or would you want them to stand there and watch you die.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it very gently and little bits. Iam confident with time she will get some more strength. This fish hid in the rocks for 2 weeks. Never moved an inch. Please don’t judge me. Just trying my best to save my little girls fav fish

squatchaquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Force feeding, if done gently and correctly, can save lives. I haven’t done it with fish but have experience administering food to young barnyard birds. Just like humans and NG tubes and the like, sometimes critters are too sick to eat but the induced nutrition gives them enough energy to successfully recover.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Are you growing algae for the tang to graze on?
Hippos are different from other tangs and are planktivores. That’s not to say they won’t eat algae but meaty food out of the water column is actually what they naturally eat.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish doesn’t want nori. Doesn’t touch anything I’m rebuilding her strength and nutrition to figure out if I should qt again or do more prazipro.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back