EMERGENCY HELP NEEDED!

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start watching your other fish carefully. If it was velvet, which I think it was, you need to let your tank go fallow (fishless). I know ich is 72 days, I am not sure about velvet.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear [emoji53] are any of you other fish symptomatic?
I had two.. This one and a copperband angel that died in one day with it.. All of the fish look ok other then all of my wrasses are hiding behind the filter. Filter is off. I only have a sponge bubbler in the corner going

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start watching your other fish carefully. If it was velvet, which I think it was, you need to let your tank go fallow (fishless). I know ich is 72 days, I am not sure about velvet.
I would think at least 72 days like ich. They do have the trophant stages either way. And im not familiar with the tabs. Anyone have any input on them? Would it be hard for you to order in cuprimine or a copper treatment online? I know that works and it might be an idea to have on hand just in case

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think at least 72 days like ich. They do have the trophant stages either way. And im not familiar with the tabs. Anyone have any input on them? Would it be hard for you to order in cuprimine or a copper treatment online? I know that works and it might be an idea to have on hand just in case
Yes I can order it online.. Any other meds or treatment I should buy

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the LifeGuard site:

With Tetra's Lifeguard, there is no need for time-consuming guesswork when it comes to treating your freshwater fish. A unique, broad spectrum, non-antibiotic agent, Lifeguard treats the clinical signs of disease.
Active ingredient: 1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone.

Sounds like it is primarily for freshwater disease. I am not overly enthusiastic about using it in saltwater, but it was all you had.

Most LFS should have copper, if not you can order it online

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See how the wrasses are hiding

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know @Humblefish recommends formalin or acriflavine as part of the treatment as well, but not combined with the copper. I'm just going from memory; I have been reading a lot of threads on fish disease; I (luckily) have no experience with treating them.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I can order it online.. Any other meds or treatment I should buy
I think it was twillard or another member who told me what to buy, if i remember correctly, copper, prazipro, formeldahyde. Anything else i am missing folks? I think i moght be missing one or two...

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some hiding spots and more with than a sponge filter. Think your wrasses are trying to hide.
Pvc elbows are good for hiding, coffee cups can do in a pinch, or fake plant decorations
Order some acriflavine with your copper. Get more water going for water changes

Oh, and think is 6 weeks for velvet but I'd go 76 days fallow in case ich was present also.

Treatment is 30 days copper, have a read to the link I posted earlier, Humblefish outlines the velvet treatment

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these fish need copper or Chloroquine phosphate ASAP. A FW dip and chemical bath will only buy you so much time. Below is my write-up on Brooklynella. The formalin and acriflavine products are also useful for treating velvet (as a 60 minute bath); Metronidazole can be combined with copper for treating brook.

Brooklynella:

Symptoms This is most often seen in clownfish, but it can afflict any fish. The fish’s skin will appear to be peeling or sloughing off, oftentimes causing excessive white mucous to form around the affected area(s).

Treatment options - Formalin or acriflavine bath, followed by additional baths (as needed - but give the fish a day to recuperate in-between baths). You can use formalin in a QT (at a much lower concentration than the bath), but great care must be taken to provide plenty of gas exchange as formalin will quickly deplete the water of oxygen. For this reason, doing baths is the safer option as the fish can be pulled from the formalin if showing signs of distress. Acriflavine is probably the better option for in-tank QT use.

The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS (preferred), Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.

Acriflavine can be found in
Acriflavine-MS (preferred) and Ruby Reef Rally.

Metronidazole (exs. Seachem MetroPlex, Metro-MS, Hikari Metro+) is considered an alternative treatment for brook. A freshwater dip may provide temporary relief if you are unable to locate any of the aforementioned medications right away. Some even claim total eradication of the disease is possible just by performing multiple FW dips on the fish. o_O

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these fish need copper or Chloroquine phosphate ASAP. A FW dip and chemical bath will only buy you so much time. Below is my write-up on Brooklynella. The formalin and acriflavine products are also useful for treating velvet (as a 60 minute bath); Metronidazole can be combined with copper for treating brook.

Brooklynella:

Symptoms This is most often seen in clownfish, but it can afflict any fish. The fish’s skin will appear to be peeling or sloughing off, oftentimes causing excessive white mucous to form around the affected area(s).

Treatment options - Formalin or acriflavine bath, followed by additional baths (as needed - but give the fish a day to recuperate in-between baths). You can use formalin in a QT (at a much lower concentration than the bath), but great care must be taken to provide plenty of gas exchange as formalin will quickly deplete the water of oxygen. For this reason, doing baths is the safer option as the fish can be pulled from the formalin if showing signs of distress. Acriflavine is probably the better option for in-tank QT use.

The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS (preferred), Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.

Acriflavine can be found in
Acriflavine-MS (preferred) and Ruby Reef Rally.

Metronidazole (exs. Seachem MetroPlex, Metro-MS, Hikari Metro+) is considered an alternative treatment for brook. A freshwater dip may provide temporary relief if you are unable to locate any of the aforementioned medications right away. Some even claim total eradication of the disease is possible just by performing multiple FW dips on the fish. o_O
At-a-boy humblefish. Listen to this guy he gives you the details of it all. Humblefish, do you think it is brook? From what i saw i thought it was velvet. I could be wrong.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, all of your fish need to be treated exactly as I describe here, under "The short version": https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499437

In another thread @Russ265 is using hydrogen peroxide instead of formalin/acriflavine, so that may be easier for you to get right now. I believe he is doing a 2ml per gal bath for 60 mins. There is more info about it here under "Treatment Option 12: Hydrogen Peroxide": http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/sp/feature/index.php

Here is the thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/petco-purple-tang-rescue-action.249943/

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At-a-boy humblefish. Listen to this guy he gives you the details of it all. Humblefish, do you think it is brook? From what i saw i thought it was velvet. I could be wrong.

I think it very likely could be both. The good news (if there is any in a situation like this) is the bath treatment used to provide temporary relief for velvet should also work on brook. Velvet & brook are both "surface parasites" easily knocked off by a FW dip and/or chemical bath; they don't embed as deeply into the skin as ich trophonts do.

A FW dip + chemical bath + transfer into a clean QT is usually enough to beat brook. Velvet is a little more stubborn, and requires copper or CP treatment following the bath.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going off some white papers to treat velvet. 25-50ppm seemed safe(ish) for tangs.

for 5 gallons of water that is aproximately 15ml for 25ppm, and 30ml for 50ppm.

special thanks to randy and the chemists in his thread.

this is for a fresh water dip only.

the hour long sw bath i did 2ml per gallon.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that looks like velvet to me too. I prefer coppersafe to cupramine although for velvet either will work. Wrasse seem to struggle more with cupramine than with coppersafe so if you had to choose I would choose coppersafe

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is everywhere right now, brook seems a bit more common than usual too!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is everywhere right now, brook seems a bit more common than usual too!

Both are running through the wholesalers' systems right now. And since ORA clowns are now being sold to wholesalers (for resale), they are getting exposed to brook for probably the first time. :eek: At least the wild caught ones might have built up a little immunity to it in the sea.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm late! I'm also sorry for your loss. I'll second (or third?) Coppersafe for treatment.... chelated copper seems to be much easier on the fish than cuppramine. I've used both and like coppersafe better. Velvet has run rampant lately and it always makes it harder when it mixes with other diseases like brooke. Follow Humble's procedure and you should be able to save the rest of your fish, but get it started as quickly as possible. Good luck to you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back