Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn't make it through the fw bath:(

image.jpeg

did you drop him immediately from the fw back to the salt water tank? this can cause instant death ime.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you drop him immediately from the fw back to the salt water tank? this can cause instant death ime.

I've done hundreds of fresh water dips and never had them die from going back to the saltwater tank after. How often does this happen for you?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done hundreds of fresh water dips and never had them die from going back to the saltwater tank after. How often does this happen for you?

only happens with more delicate fish like the CBB or mandarin.

if you drop straight from fresh to salt their gills go about 5-8x per second. looks like they vibrate its so fast.

tbh... the death doesnt happen often. maybe 1 out of 10-20 fw dips?. this is just my experience. these guys arent as hardy as like a yt.

tbh i havent lost a hardy fish just dropping them in fw. but it is something ive observed with others

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only happens with more delicate fish like the CBB or mandarin.

if you drop straight from fresh to salt their gills go about 5-8x per second. looks like they vibrate its so fast.

tbh... the death doesnt happen often. maybe 1 out of 10-20 fw dips?. this is just my experience. these guys arent as hardy as like a yt.

tbh i havent lost a hardy fish just dropping them in fw. but it is something ive observed with others

Ok, that meshes better with my knowledge and experience. I've never lost one like that - I've only lost fish that were so far gone and sick that it wouldn't have mattered what I did. Thanks for clearing that up for me :D

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that meshes better with my knowledge and experience. I've never lost one like that - I've only lost fish that were so far gone and sick that it wouldn't have mattered what I did. Thanks for clearing that up for me :D

the loss would be almost immediate. the gills vibrate for a few seconds and then done.
or you may not even catch the gills moving at all. its super duper fast.
may even dart behind a rock real quick and then fall on their side.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the loss would be almost immediate. the gills vibrate for a few seconds and then done.
or you may not even catch the gills moving at all. its super duper fast.
may even dart behind a rock real quick and then fall on their side.

I'll admit, I've never seen that and I've dipped a couple (like 2 or 3) mandarins before and maybe 4 CBB's. But I can see how a delicate fish might have a problem with it particularly if they are already beyond help. I've seen your videos on the other thread though and the difference between our methods could be why. I never use tap, only rodi and I always have air being pumped into the fresh water. Not bashing your way to do it, but maybe with the more delicate guys the extra precautions are needed. :)

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit, I've never seen that and I've dipped a couple (like 2 or 3) mandarins before and maybe 4 CBB's. But I can see how a delicate fish might have a problem with it particularly if they are already beyond help. I've seen your videos on the other thread though and the difference between our methods could be why. I never use tap, only rodi and I always have air being pumped into the fresh water. Not bashing your way to do it, but maybe with the more delicate guys the extra precautions are needed. :)
Now just a thought of advice. I'm pretty sure mandarins can't deal with copper. I could be won't but the last time i witnessed someone put a mandarin in copper it freaked the crap out. I think it's because they are so delicate of a fish and they done have actually scales. They have smooth skin with a slime coat.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now just a thought of advice. I'm pretty sure mandarins can't deal with copper. I could be won't but the last time i witnessed someone put a mandarin in copper it freaked the crap out. I think it's because they are so delicate of a fish and they done have actually scales. They have smooth skin with a slime coat.

Your very right about not putting mandarins in copper. We weren't talking about putting these fish in copper however. We were discussing doing freshwater dips on fish and why russ has experienced death of these fish after returning them back to saltwater.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your very right about not putting mandarins in copper. We weren't talking about putting these fish in copper however. We were discussing doing freshwater dips on fish and why russ has experienced death of these fish after returning them back to saltwater.
I understand just thought I'd let the OP know instead of finding out the hard way. As far as i know he does not have one but if in the future he decides to get one he knows not to do copper on them id hate to have someone get a beautiful fish and accidently kill it due to unware of not to treat with copper. Just trying to give him the knowledge i know. Thats all

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

no worries. i think your way is "proper".

all i can say is the only thing ive changed is slowly raising salinity up and the occasional loss stopped.

if its not an issue, disregard.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; I do a 5 min bath (full freshwater) and then put the fish right back in normal salinity. Every now & then a fish will seem unable to maintain equilibrium once put back in SW. If this happens, I hold the fish upright, and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). But 5 min exposure time isn't enough to cause osmotic shock IME.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back