Emergency Help with Diagnosis & Treatment

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to bother everyone, I really tried to play Doctor over the past 10 days and lost nearly 4k in fish and coral. Everyone has an emergency and I really try to wait to post but I really don't want to lose this clown fish. My main display tank went thru what I can only assume was ick and probably velvet. Again, This was my main display and this is another tank 70 gallon that is about 10ft away. I 100% could have cross contaminated with tools, feeding basters etc and was just not thinking.

VIDEO HERE I noticed my clown fish (See Video) covered in white, Not what I would have said was ick, but either velvet or Brook. I made the decision that it was brook (Definitely not an expert and should have made this post sooner to help identify)

Two nights ago, I set up a 60 gal QT, Copper @1.0 to acclimate, Did a 5min Fresh water dip on him and he was a champ, never even slowed down swimming and no signs of stress. Pulled him out of Fresh water Dip and gave him a break overnight, since I don't have Formalin, I did a 90 min dip in Rally pro and he did great in that bath as well, 2x concentration 90min. Back into the QT, slowly raised copper to 2.0 and dosed Metroplex. He was looking much better, this morning he up off the bottom, swimming rather than sitting at bottom, Tank is very well aerated and has great flow on surface. He has some interest in food, the white is back, granted his therapeutic level of 2.0 has only been 12 hours since I raised to that level.

I know the video is not the greatest, this clown is normally one of the most bright colorful vibrant that I have ever seen, it's hard to see but aside from the white spots, he looks milky white all over.

I have API general cure, was wondering if I should treat with that instead of my 2nd 48hr dose of Metroplex or continue with Metro? Am I on the wrong track here? Really need some help, I can order Formalin off amazon and will just to keep on hand. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Here are the water parameters, Temp 79.1, SG1.025, Fresh batch of water so all other ammonia, Nitrite etc. no issue. Food is nothing but the best as well as every meal soaked in Selcon, Garlic.... Diet is of no question, nothing but the best stuff.

Help greatly appreciated.... Only distress I see at this point is heavy breathing

Thanks again...

#fishmedic #jayhamdel #vetteguy53081
@vetteguy53081

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you will get quick responses. In interest of time, the video appears to show velvet, both the coating on the skin and the very heavy breathing. If you are using copper power or copper safe, get the concentration to 2.5 using reliable test kit ASAP. Copper also treats Ich.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you will get quick responses. In interest of time, the video appears to show velvet, both the coating on the skin and the very heavy breathing. If you are using copper power or copper safe, get the concentration to 2.5 using reliable test kit ASAP. Copper also treats Ich.
Thank you, Using a Hannna checker and using Copper Power, I can increase to 2.5 but thought I saw that that level was a bit much... I can Increase, current is actual 2.10

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to bother everyone, I really tried to play Doctor over the past 10 days and lost nearly 4k in fish and coral. Everyone has an emergency and I really try to wait to post but I really don't want to lose this clown fish. My main display tank went thru what I can only assume was ick and probably velvet. Again, This was my main display and this is another tank 70 gallon that is about 10ft away. I 100% could have cross contaminated with tools, feeding basters etc and was just not thinking.

VIDEO HERE I noticed my clown fish (See Video) covered in white, Not what I would have said was ick, but either velvet or Brook. I made the decision that it was brook (Definitely not an expert and should have made this post sooner to help identify)

Two nights ago, I set up a 60 gal QT, Copper @1.0 to acclimate, Did a 5min Fresh water dip on him and he was a champ, never even slowed down swimming and no signs of stress. Pulled him out of Fresh water Dip and gave him a break overnight, since I don't have Formalin, I did a 90 min dip in Rally pro and he did great in that bath as well, 2x concentration 90min. Back into the QT, slowly raised copper to 2.0 and dosed Metroplex. He was looking much better, this morning he up off the bottom, swimming rather than sitting at bottom, Tank is very well aerated and has great flow on surface. He has some interest in food, the white is back, granted his therapeutic level of 2.0 has only been 12 hours since I raised to that level.

I know the video is not the greatest, this clown is normally one of the most bright colorful vibrant that I have ever seen, it's hard to see but aside from the white spots, he looks milky white all over.

I have API general cure, was wondering if I should treat with that instead of my 2nd 48hr dose of Metroplex or continue with Metro? Am I on the wrong track here? Really need some help, I can order Formalin off amazon and will just to keep on hand. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Here are the water parameters, Temp 79.1, SG1.025, Fresh batch of water so all other ammonia, Nitrite etc. no issue. Food is nothing but the best as well as every meal soaked in Selcon, Garlic.... Diet is of no question, nothing but the best stuff.

Help greatly appreciated.... Only distress I see at this point is heavy breathing

Thanks again...

@vetteguy53081
On the road and can’t open video but you can continue with rally pro as treatment in lieu of copper
For copper, get straight to treatment level and do not ramp it up as the parasites if any can become resistant to any treatment moving forward

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything less that 2..50 will not be effective. You should monitor daily until you are certain the concentration has stabilized. If it drops below 2.25, you will need to restart the 30 day countdown for the copper treatment.

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rally Pro is recommended for Brooklynella if formalin is not available. However, Rally Pro will not treat either Ich or velvet. While Brooklynella is known as the clownfish disease, the fact that you have lost other species quickly and the clownfish has very rapid breathing points me away from Brook and towards Velvet.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Thanks again...

@vetteguy53081
Sorry to hear of the losses!

When fish and invertebrates are dying, it is often an environmental issue as opposed to a fish only disease. Of course, it is possible to have an environmental issue AND a fish disease at the same time.
Diagnosing fish remotely is tricky, but your clownfish looks like it has Brooklynella. If so, copper won’t help with that. Formalin works well, but I think it is too toxic to use in homes. Ruby Reef Rally Pro is the next option.
Jay

Upvote 0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will also need consider taking probably both tanks fallow for 45 days at least if you are going with Copper. From reading your posting, it sounds like a recurrence? Your other fish, if any, will also need to be treated. Rally Pro can be used in your display tanks.

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diagnosing fish remotely is tricky, but your clownfish looks like it has Brooklynella. If so, copper won’t help with that. Formalin works well, but I think it is too toxic to use in homes. Ruby Reef Rally Pro is the next option.
Jay
I definitely defer to Jay on this; he has much more experience than I diagnosing Brook! However, if your fish that died showed spots and other symptoms of ich or velvet, you may have both in your tank. Hope not.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely defer to Jay on this; he has much more experience than I diagnosing Brook! However, if your fish that died showed spots and other symptoms of ich or velvet, you may have both in your tank. Hope not.
Brooklynella is a tough one for me to ID. I looked at the video again a few more times. It is pretty pixelated on my phone, does the tail look like it has lots of mucus on it? If not, then I could change to velvet on this …. But the fish is breathing critically fast either way.
Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys,

Thanks again...

@vetteguy53081
Got a chance to see video on large screen. The fish indeed has brook, is quite thin and struggling with breathing. Normally a 5 minute freshwater dip would weaken this fish more and not recommended but Ruby Rally will take a little longer but will work. The challenge will be if fish is not eating, to keep it stable during treatment
This mucus on the fish generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for The help, comments and direction. I left this morning after getting the copper to 2.5, in the matter of an hour from my first post, the poor guy was on the bottom not upright, just came home and lost him. I know we are dealing with 2 different tanks in my home office, I'm confident I cross contaminated not knowing better or thinking like I should. The main display has been stable with no losses in a week plus, fish look fine and I will keep an eye on them. The smaller of the 2 tanks is where this clown was, he is the only one that showed signs and 2 other clowns were in this display with him, I've pulled them just to be safe. All other fish in the smaller tank are acting fine, I will monitor and if I even see anything suspect I will check back here first... Thanks again, It has nothing to do with the $, The struggle for me is not being able and smart enough to help before it's too late.
I had the dream tank with every fish and coral that was not supposed to go together, it was magic in that sense, my triggers didn't give a snail a second look and everybody got along... Gonna be tough trying to replicate this environment... Definetly been a rough few weeks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question @Jay Hemdal , I dosed the first round of Metroplex, I am at the 48hr second dose, do I continue with that dose for the remaining clownfish or is it safe to start General cure in place, without a water change (This is a new QT with 60 gallons) Just for info

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question @Jay Hemdal , I dosed the first round of Metroplex, I am at the 48hr second dose, do I continue with that dose for the remaining clownfish or is it safe to start General cure in place, without a water change (This is a new QT with 60 gallons) Just for info

That's a good question. General Cure also contains metronidazole, so you should not overlap that medication with Metroplex. You can dose GC after 48 hours without a water change, assuming there is no ammonia or other water quality issues.

Jay

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back