EMERGENCY-----My Fish decided to shut his mouth with superglue. What do I do?

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I was attaching a piece of GSP to the glass and my pufferfish bit into a blob of glue. I fed them before hand so they would be distracted and not come close to the frag just incase and my fear turned into truth

Any idea what I can do for him? HE is quite hard to catch and is a jumper. So far he seems to be ok and doesn't show any signs of distress but he can't eat and I am monitoring him to see if becomes sluggish I tried catching him but he freaked out and hid among the rock work. Has anyone experienced this with puffers? Any advise would be really helpfull right now! Thanks!

IMG_20211020_170919~2.jpg
IMG_20211020_170923~2.jpg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! you don't see that every day. I often worry about this exact thing, when using super glue in the tank. Appreciate you sharing, so we can all be aware of this possibility.

As for my ideas, I wonder if you should just leave it alone for a day or two. Super glue has a way of working itself off of skin (at least the human kind without scales), over time. It may be the case that it simply falls off. If the fish is not distressed, I'd leave it alone. If in two days it is still there, perhaps catching the fish and gently working some natural oils (fish / olive) into the mouth will help it to release it's hold?

Please do keep this updated to let us know how everything plays out and good luck!

OP
OP
D

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Thanks, I plan on leaving him alone and see how does tomorrow. Its quite hard to catch and the harder part would be removing the blob. I saw there was another post with this happening with a tang.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to do a fish trap, which can often take several days to catch a fish. Even if he can't eat he will still want to eat and will be more willing to go into the trap for food. You can catch him and then maybe figure out how to help him once caught.

OP
OP
D

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to do a fish trap, which can often take several days to catch a fish. Even if he can't eat he will still want to eat and will be more willing to go into the trap for food. You can catch him and then maybe figure out how to help him once caught.
That seems tedious and stressful for him, I would also need to find a way to sedate him. Since its a sizeable chunk, I am hoping the oils the fish secretes would help dislodge it.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens all the time to my clown. It will fall off. I think trying to do anything at this point will make things worse. If it doesn't fall off in a few days, then it might be time to catch and remove.

OP
OP
D

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens all the time to my clown. It will fall off. I think trying to do anything at this point will make things worse. If it doesn't fall off in a few days, then it might be time to catch and remove.
Yeah pretty much the game plan here. I am just a little worried about the breathing. Right now he seems to be pecking at the GSP stuck to glass. Not sure if he is trying to make a point.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s time to reconsider your methods if you glue your fish’s mouth shut all the time.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s time to reconsider your methods if you glue your fish’s mouth shut all the time.
Lol my female clown tries to move everything new in the tank. She will nip at the base of all new frags, new rocks, or anything moved out of place. She's like a grumpy old man and I am playing on her front lawn.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back