EMERGENCY-----My Fish decided to shut his mouth with superglue. What do I do?

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Humu trigger did this. He immediately tried to spit it out but couldn't. He kept trying for about 30 mins and eventually it came out.

OP
OP
D

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I got lucky and got em.
Ok so it looks like it worked while he was perched on the rock. I removed the blob and boy was there a lot of it stuck on him. He puffed up in my hands while I was removing it out.

Lights off now and hoping he will be able to get back to sleep. I couln't tell if I got everything since I was really nervous he would be more stressed but looks like the chunk of it came off. Phew that incident is gonna keep me up me tonight.

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that worked
Glad to see you were able to remove the glue. I haven't had this happen to me but I've found the discussion super informative. Fingers crossed that he is all good and will go back to harassing your newly added GSP (just not too much.)

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Thanks, I plan on leaving him alone and see how does tomorrow. Its quite hard to catch and the harder part would be removing the blob. I saw there was another post with this happening with a tang.
Waiting may be best thing to do. As his mucus builds up under it. It might cause it to just fall off. Only parts stuck to beak might not fall off. Will get ground down over time. I would only really be worried if top and bottom are glued and cant move mouth to breathe.

OP
OP
D

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting may be best thing to do. As his mucus builds up under it. It might cause it to just fall off. Only parts stuck to beak might not fall off. Will get ground down over time. I would only really be worried if top and bottom are glued and cant move mouth to breathe.
UPDATE:

Hey, so last night I removed a big portion attached to him.But it looks like his lips top and bottom were glued and he still isn't able to open it fully I assume. I am going to wait now for a few days. I fed them today and he wasn't able to peck into his food. But I guess he will be able to go a few days without food. I am waiting to see if he pecks at rocks to dislodge the remaining stuff.

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Hopefully it falls off soon as others have mentioned, definitely worrisome if he isn't able to get food scraps... fingers crossed for you!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back