OP
OP
neopode

neopode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not recommended. It will affect the very bacteria you are trying to establish and not to mention that most fish cant regulate their internal body temp and in turn it can cause osmotic shock or cause the fish to be lethargic which can affect their immune system subjecting them to getting a chance of disease
Thanks for the knowledge!

Working through the water change right now and the fish look MUCH happier. Swiming around being their goofy clownfish selfs.

What a relief!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the knowledge!

Working through the water change right now and the fish look MUCH happier. Swiming around being their goofy clownfish selfs.

What a relief!
There's still time for a cold beer !!

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He posted his fish are down and breathing hard… soooo probably not a false stall
I don’t know that the cycle is stalled as much as he’s adding more ammonia when he uses the premixed ocean water. The bacteria in it was probably alive six months ago but by the time it gets to you the bacteria dies off leaving ammonia. As long as your ammonia is elevated relative to the bacteria trying to break it down it will seem like your cycle is stuck. Now that you’ve changed the water let the ammonia subside. Feed your fish of course. The fish AND the bacteria need it. Just make sure your water is ammonia free.

I’m glad your fish are doing well but please don’t rely on the LFS for your water. The old adage, “if you want it done right you have to do it yourself” very much applies here. And I stand corrected on dosing prime.

OP
OP
neopode

neopode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know that the cycle is stalled as much as he’s adding more ammonia when he uses the premixed ocean water. The bacteria in it was probably alive six months ago but by the time it gets to you the bacteria dies off leaving ammonia. As long as your ammonia is elevated relative to the bacteria trying to break it down it will seem like your cycle is stuck. Now that you’ve changed the water let the ammonia subside. Feed your fish of course. The fish AND the bacteria need it. Just make sure your water is ammonia free.

I’m glad your fish are doing well but please don’t rely on the LFS for your water. The old adage, “if you want it done right you have to do it yourself” very much applies here. And I stand corrected on dosing prime.
Since I keep getting this comment i'll just reply to this one.

I'm not relying on the LFS for water, but I used it in case of an emergency like this one. As a new reefer I have an RODI system, but not one that can make 60+gal of water in an acceptable timeframe let alone the time for the salt to dissolve and mix. I ran my RODI system for 8 hours yesterday and got probably 5 gal of RODI water.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I keep getting this comment i'll just reply to this one.

I'm not relying on the LFS for water, but I used it in case of an emergency like this one. As a new reefer I have an RODI system, but not one that can make 60+gal of water in an acceptable timeframe let alone the time for the salt to dissolve and mix. I ran my RODI system for 8 hours yesterday and got probably 5 gal of RODI water.
I’m glad to hear that. We’re not trying to judge you. We want to see you succeed and for the animals to thrive. I’m sorry if I sounded judgey. It wasn’t meant to.

I just made some water tonight for a water change. It took about four hours and change. It’s mixing and heating up as I type this. In the not so distant future I’m going to get a brute trash can so I can have an emergency supply. Right now I’m using two 10 gallon aquariums with heaters and old circulation pumps. Thankfully I don’t need to do a huge water change.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my RODI system for 8 hours yesterday and got probably 5 gal of RODI water.
There might be something here that cam be addressed. What RODI system are you using? It seems to not be working properly unless it's a 15GPD...

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• DAD6560C-E74D-43AA-A9B8-808264468B91.png
    DAD6560C-E74D-43AA-A9B8-808264468B91.png
    233.2 KB · Views: 14

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back