Emergency Power Outage Auto-On Battery Bubbler

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may or may not have seen in the news recently about a windstorm that left 200k homes in the Seattle Metro area without power. Well, mine was one of those households. To make matters worse - I was out of town that weekend and the tank was left unattended. Luckily I was able to get ahold of a friend who grabbed an emergency air bubbler and was able to get it in the tank and everyone survived. I don't want to be that guy again. While on the plane back, I came up with a simple design for a battery bubbler that automatically turns on the moment your power goes out. Basically the idea is when the power goes out, a relay closes and it turns on the air pump via a battery. While connected, the battery is charged by the USB-C power cable.

1668373969465.png

Parts List:
1 x 1.5V Emergency Air Bubbler
1 x Lithium Charger Module
1 x 1 Channel Relay Board
1 x DC-DC Buck Converter
1 x Parallel Configuration 18650 Battery Holder
2 x Lithium 18650 3.7V Battery

I built and tested it today and it works great! Just as intended, when the USB cord is unplugged, the air automatically starts. I was able to fit everything except for the battery in the original case. I made some notches for cables, and hot glued everything in place. I tested it a number of times and it works exactly as intended. When not connected and powered off, there is a bit of drain running the LED for the DC-DC converter. Right now, when the switch is off, it only disconnects the motors. The switch likely needs to be wired between the battery and the DC-DC converter to resolve. Until then, I will store with the batteries removed so they're not drained unintendedly.

1668374101384.jpeg

Hopefully this is interesting and useful to folks.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may or may not have seen in the news recently about a windstorm that left 200k homes in the Seattle Metro area without power. Well, mine was one of those households. To make matters worse - I was out of town that weekend and the tank was left unattended. Luckily I was able to get ahold of a friend who grabbed an emergency air bubbler and was able to get it in the tank and everyone survived. I don't want to be that guy again. While on the plane back, I came up with a simple design for a battery bubbler that automatically turns on the moment your power goes out. Basically the idea is when the power goes out, a relay closes and it turns on the air pump via a battery. While connected, the battery is charged by the USB-C power cable.

1668373969465.png

Parts List:
1 x 1.5V Emergency Air Bubbler
1 x Lithium Charger Module
1 x 1 Channel Relay Board
1 x DC-DC Buck Converter
1 x Parallel Configuration 18650 Battery Holder
2 x Lithium 18650 3.7V Battery

I built and tested it today and it works great! Just as intended, when the USB cord is unplugged, the air automatically starts. I was able to fit everything except for the battery in the original case. I made some notches for cables, and hot glued everything in place. I tested it a number of times and it works exactly as intended. When not connected and powered off, there is a bit of drain running the LED for the DC-DC converter. Right now, when the switch is off, it only disconnects the motors. The switch likely needs to be wired between the battery and the DC-DC converter to resolve. Until then, I will store with the batteries removed so they're not drained unintendedly.

1668374101384.jpeg

Hopefully this is interesting and useful to folks.
Looks great.
Is it just a simple rewire to get it set up so it can be left plugged in full time? Also, when can I pick mine up :)

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great.
Is it just a simple rewire to get it set up so it can be left plugged in full time? Also, when can I pick mine up :)

The entire point is it can be plugged in all the time and it only kicks on when you need it. It does that now.

If you have the same bubbler and grab some batteries, I have extras of all the other parts. It only takes 30 minutes or so to do all the soldering. DM and we figure something out?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire point is it can be plugged in all the time and it only kicks on when you need it. It does that now.

If you have the same bubbler and grab some batteries, I have extras of all the other parts. It only takes 30 minutes or so to do all the soldering. DM and we figure something out?
I must have misunderstood what you wrote. I thought you said a switch needed to be rewired. My bad. I was just kidding about when I could pick up mine but I just might take you up on that at some point.

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have misunderstood what you wrote. I thought you said a switch needed to be rewired. My bad. I was just kidding about when I could pick up mine but I just might take you up on that at some point.

Yeah I probably wasn't very clear. The switch needs to be rewired to prevent the battery draining while off and unplugged. If left plugged in all the time, it's good to go.

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hilarious that I didn't see that when I was looking for one, and sure you can always buy nearly anything these days.

I think the main advantage I have over that one is the USB keeps the batteries charged for me, instead of having to remember to charge or replace them. Their circuit does basically what the relay board is doing on mine, but at 120VAC instead of 5VDC.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hilarious that I didn't see that when I was looking for one, and sure you can always buy nearly anything these days.

I think the main advantage I have over that one is the USB keeps the batteries charged for me, instead of having to remember to charge or replace them. Their circuit does basically what the relay board is doing on mine, but at 120VAC instead of 5VDC.
I like the rechargeable aspect of your DIY version better. I think you did the right thing by making your own.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I set mine up on my tanks when I am out of town. You might be able to get these cheaper. I paid $15 each last year.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap peace of mind.
You got that right.

Do you set up dual heaters with controllers with one being in your DT? I also have spares on hand for the return and ATO pumps. A reefer friend can come over if I spot a problem with my Wyze camera.

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got that right.

Do you set up dual heaters with controllers with one being in your DT? I also have spares on hand for the return and ATO pumps. A reefer friend can come over if I spot a problem with my Wyze camera.

Not yet on the dual heaters. Just running a BRS 100W Ti on an inkbird. I just started this reefing thing and still collecting equipment. We'd never had power issues since I've lived here, until Murphy got me on my first days we were both away from the tank.

I have spare ATO pumps, spare heater, and a spare wavemaker. Return pump is next on the list as well as a big 'ol battery box or generator. Still trying to make a reef friends in my area.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet on the dual heaters. Just running a BRS 100W Ti on an inkbird. I just started this reefing thing and still collecting equipment. We'd never had power issues since I've lived here, until Murphy got me on my first days we were both away from the tank.

I have spare ATO pumps, spare heater, and a spare wavemaker. Return pump is next on the list as well as a big 'ol battery box or generator. Still trying to make a reef friends in my area.
Recently bought a generator.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back